Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Default First Centrefire options??

I'm looking to buy my first centre fire rifle and I've been juggling between
the Tikka T3, Remington 700, Savage 111 hunter and the Weatherby
Vanguard series 2. I've decided on 30-06 caliber btw. Cost is the major
factor at the moment, no spare cash to treat myself this time I'm afraid
so it's reliability and a robust firearm thats needed (I'm rough with
everyting so it'll definitely get scratched up).
I see this sale deal in Cabelas on offer right now
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/36742/...-rifle-w-scope
I'm not familiar with the Bushnell scope in the sale combo with the
savage gun... good deal as a combo? I'll primarily be hunting Deer
and I'm not looking for super accuracy over long distances as I don't
think at my shooting level I'll be attempting 200yard+ shots for a while
yet.

I had actually hoped to buy in a local store (Red Deer) if they can
compete somewhat price wise with the prices on offer by the big guys.
Any info is greatly appreciated, don't want to go over $700ish with a scope included....thanks.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 AM

Maybe try just reading the first 6 or so pages of this forum. There is a whole LOT of exactly this same discussion that will give you all the info you could ask for.

Short answer with no background, for the price the Cabelas deal is hard to beat and it will do the job reliably. Savage is a good shooting very tough gun. You can always upgrade the scope later but it has a lifetime warranty so no worries on its ruggedness.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM

thanks Dean... I've read (and enjoyed) more than 6 pages and to be honest I've read too much and have probably over complicated things.... hoping for some clarity... thanks for the response.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Banned

Kiwijob. Given the restrictions that you've placed upon your current limitations in shooting range and your budget, I think that the Savage package which you've linked should work just fine. The description of the item states that the scope is mounted and bore sighted. I would not put too much trust that it was mounted properly. I suggest that you remove the scope and rings, check that the bases are nice and tight. Then remount the scope yourself again assuring all is well fitted and tight. If you are skeptical on doing this, perhaps a friend that is knowledgeable in scope mounting could volunteer to help you. Then a trip to the range with some targets to ensure all is well. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the hunting community. You will enjoy the rewards of fine venison.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:11 AM

If cost is the primary factor, then Savage has the lowest price. That being said, I much prefer both the Vanguard, and the T-3 over the Savage. As far as the scope on the Savage package rifles, they are as low quality as you can find, and I would only trust one as a last resort.

In your situation, I would go with a Howa 1500 and top it with a Bushnell trophy. Bashaw Sports has the Howa on for $479, and the scope will run you around $150. With bases and rings, and GST, you will be right around your $700 limit.

If you aren't familiar with Howa, they make the Vanguard barreled actions for Weatherby, and other than a couple of small differences, the 1500 is basically the same barreled action as the Vanguard.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-06-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Go with the Savage package. For the money it is the best value. Savage is making pretty good barrels these days. Good luck out there.

Alba gu brath!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 AM

Have you considered the slightly higher quality but used option?
Just another thought if you dont plan on shooting over 200yrds maybe keep a eye open for something with iron sites and worry about scoping it in the future.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM

much appreciated
Old 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM

The tikka would be a wise choice for the woods and the weatherby guarantee sub moa out of the box, take a look at the gun auctions in edmonton area I picked up a bnib vanguard s2 300wby for $340
Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
The tikka would be a wise choice for the woods and the weatherby guarantee sub moa out of the box, take a look at the gun auctions in edmonton area I picked up a bnib vanguard s2 300wby for $340
x2 on the Weatherby. What's truly expensive is buying a junk first gun (ie, the Savage) and next year buying another one and never recouping the value on the first one you bought).

Note the buy and sell portion of this site - a good quality used gun will treat you better than a new plastic 4" grouper all day.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
x2 on the Weatherby. What's truly expensive is buying a junk first gun (ie, the Savage) and next year buying another one and never recouping the value on the first one you bought).

Note the buy and sell portion of this site - a good quality used gun will treat you better than a new plastic 4" grouper all day.
Thought I should clarify not all Savages are crap - but the low end ones with the poor glass on them sure are. Every manufacturer has a runt in its litter.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Thought I should clarify not all Savages are crap - but the low end ones with the poor glass on them sure are. Every manufacturer has a runt in its litter.
The glass on this gun may not be great glass but Bushnell's are lifetime guaranteed and completely serviceable for shooting out to 200 yards. In addition, you can do a lot of upgrading with $300 for different glass. Zeiss 3x9, Nikon and Redfield 3x9 can all be had in that price range on sale.

There is nothing wrong with the gun Cabela's is offerings. Most places are selling the gun alone for almost $650. With Savage they are exactly the same whether in a package or not. Savage rifles are accurate, reliable and easy to find accessories for. At the price Cabela's is offering the gun alone is easily worth that and you won't find that much quality by any other maker for $400. Even a Zastava is $700. The Tikka and Weatherby's are both very good rifles, I have a couple of each, but the Weatherby is almost $700 for the gun alone and the Tikka is more than that. If you check out the used forums, outside of a 30-30 or old military stuff you will be hard pressed to find even used guns for less than $500.

In my selection I have some Savages and some of them are now more than 40 years old, as they are one of the few that make a good selection of left hand actions. They are universally well made and very accurate right out of the box. In 40 years of using them I have never had to send one in to be fixed.

Since the OPS max budget is $700, he is not going to be able to afford to put a scope on a Tikka or Vangaurd if he buys one of those. This gun will last 40 years and shoot accurately and reliably doing it. You will also easily be able to resell it for very close to what you bought it for if you decide to change later.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM

First of all, you picked a good all-round caliber that will efficiently kill every big game species Alberta has to offer.

All the rifles/manufacturers you mentioned are fine. Everyone here has their personal preferences, stating that whatever they happen to own is a great gun. That's because, by and large, most modern firearms produced by a major manufacturer works just fine and will last years. You will likely end up choosing what feels good, what has the particular features you like, and what your local store has in stock.

If you want new and are on a budget, I'd be tempted to look at the Riger American. It's got a very good reputation in the very short time it has been around and you can pick up one for not much more than $400 right now. Top it with a simple 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite scope (which is decent. Put one on my son's Weatherby) or a Leupold VX-1, and you have a good outfit for under $700.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 PM

Many thanks for the advice, I picked up the 30-06 Howa in bashaw, opted for a red field scope (3x9x50). Pretty happy with the setup truth be told! Planning on breaking the barrel in Friday and out for my first whitetail hunt Saturday.... Happy days. Anyone know if I can walk in to Rimby gun range as a non member to spend an hour or so breaking the barrel in? Was gonna go out to some crown land but I'm not familiar enough with any suitable areas so best not to chance it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 PM

I like your choice of the 30-06. There is no better "do all" cartridge for Alberta game animals. I would prefer the Vanguard over the Savage. I own a couple of both manufactures' rifles, and I prefer my S2 over my best Savage model. Either way, you really cant lose. All decisions in life should be so easy.
Good luck
Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 PM

great set up. good luck!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 AM

Be interesting to hear how it shoots. Best of luck.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM

will update after the weekend (if i get somewhere to break it in tomorrow !!!)... will include my grouping pics pre & post break-in
Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM

I go to a decent 150 yard sand pit out by legal it's on crown land that I shoot at a few times a week if your interested
Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 PM

thanks cfnewfie... sent you a PM
Old 10-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Banned

I know the OP has already picked up a rifle for for those other people wondering, the Tuger American is a great rifle. You can also pick them up with a pretty great scope in its class, and it's should come in at about the $650-700 mark. I bought one in 30-06 for my wife and will probably pick one up in 223 for me in a little while.
The one I got for my wife wasn't the package but I think I'll get the package one for myself
Old 10-25-2014, 09:17 AM

To add some food for thought.

I have 3 of the 4 rifles you listed.

All are good rifles, but I no doubt use th savage more than any of my other rifles combined.

I don't feel guilty about beating up a savage in the bush.

Buy the savage, use it for a few years and then decide exactly what it is that you want for a higher end rifle.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Some more food for thought...... He already bought the gun
Good luck with the new rig..
Old 10-25-2014, 09:17 PM

Default howa

Great gun, Nosler uses them for there line with just a couple of changes! That alone speaks volumes!! I use them for many of my custom builds!!!!

Tags
advice, centre fire, savage, tikka t3, weatherby