Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 AM

Default 2013 Dall Sheep Hunt

Few questions for all you sheep hunters out there. I want to go on a Dall Sheep hunt in 2013. Definatly one animal thats on my bucket list.

Where in your opions are the biggest rams?
Where is the best sucsess rate at Yukon or N.W.T?
The big question which outfitter and why?
Also how much is a hunt like this worth?
Any one that wants to post pics of there Dall would be great with some info about the ram, Score, Area, Time of year of Harvest & Outfitter.

Thanks Very Much
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...highlight=gana

After a pile of research I booked with Mervyns. I will let you know my thoughts on the outfit mid august.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM

I'm sure you have already found these links, but in case you haven't.

http://www.yukonoutfitters.net/

http://www.huntnwt.com/index.html

You have to pick your way through it, but there is some good info on the link Steve posted above.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Harold Grinde.

Www.ganariver.com
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM

A few things to consider depending on your personal budget limit while you research outfitters in the Yukon & NWT (& perhaps Alaska). Personally I think it would be worth your while to contact all the outfitters for info. There is a wide range of costs between the various outfitters.

- determine all the hunt costs as often times there are extras over and above the hunt cost - ie charter flights, your travel to and from, hotel and meals while travelling, government fees etc.. the quoted hunt cost is just the starting point
- what sort of hunt is important to you? - back pack only, horse back, mobility during the hunt ie helicopter in NWT etc.
- do you want to add on a species
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM

I want to do a back pack hunt and my dream is with my Bow. Dont know if it is possible with these crafty animals but i am definatly going to try with the Bow.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM

I guide for Stan stevens mom-stanstevens.com great area and we take now hunters each year
Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
sheephunter

Hard to go wrong in the NWT or Yukon i'd say. Lots of good outfitters and most run near 100% at least on rifle hunts. From personal experience I can highly recommend Gana River outfitters for a backpack hunt.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Redstone

We had a brutal hunt with bad weather many years ago and I managed a full curl but split horn ram on the last night at the last hour.

Went back a couple years later looking for a monster and took a curl and a quarter after passing 27 rams in 9 days. Ruined a pair of mountain rated boots in 10 days of climbing. Guess I now feel the shorter cheaper hunts (7 days with 5 days hunting) are actually false economy unless you get extremely lucky. 14 days multi species was a lot more fun and allowed us the opportunity to see every ram in the area and be selective. No idea of score but he is a keeper for me. Took a mountain caribou and the white wolf on the same trip.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
I want to do a back pack hunt and my dream is with my Bow. Dont know if it is possible with these crafty animals but i am definatly going to try with the Bow.
Man, that gets my respect. Seems to me that sheep hunting with a rifle has more than enough of a grunt and sweat factor, never mind trying to get within bow range. Can't imagine many of us humping a beer belly up the mountain to do that.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
That combination right there will help you narrow the list down I would think.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM

After a few e-mails today i am quickly finding out that a Dream of mine will never happen, 20,000$ for just the ram plus all charters,licence,throphy fees ect. You are looking at close to 25'000$ easy for this hunt. Thats not counting taxidermy afterwards. This to me is just unreal!!!!

I am very curious what this hunt would of cost 5 years ago and then 10 years ago and where does the price increase's stop or have they always been this crazy.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM

Yep a guy can count on $15-25K for a Dall...they arent cheap.

Put yourself on a bunch of cancellation lists out there. If you're willing/able to go last minute hunt you can save yourself some good $$. I've seen some very good hunts go at very reasonable prices in the past few years.

Of course prices were lower 10 years ago. Damn near everything was cheaper 10 years go....back when Jack O'Connor was hunting them they were really cheap too!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
We had a brutal hunt with bad weather many years ago and I managed a full curl but split horn ram on the last night at the last hour.

Went back a couple years later looking for a monster and took a curl and a quarter after passing 27 rams in 9 days. Ruined a pair of mountain rated boots in 10 days of climbing. Guess I now feel the shorter cheaper hunts (7 days with 5 days hunting) are actually false economy unless you get extremely lucky. 14 days multi species was a lot more fun and allowed us the opportunity to see every ram in the area and be selective. No idea of score but he is a keeper for me. Took a mountain caribou and the white wolf on the same trip.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

That is a beautiful mount. Thx for sharing.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 AM

To second what Rackmastr said, it is worth trying for a cancellation hunt. Do your research and narrow it down to a handful of outfitters you would be interested/willing to hunt with. After you have your short list touch base and have them add you to their cancellation lists, and then periodically throughout the year touch base with them - especially as the hunting season gets closer. (NWT is mid July I believe and Yukon is Aug 1st) In the past few years I've also heard of some last minute deals to be had with a few different outfitters.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Yep a guy can count on $15-25K for a Dall...they arent cheap.

Put yourself on a bunch of cancellation lists out there. If you're willing/able to go last minute hunt you can save yourself some good $$. I've seen some very good hunts go at very reasonable prices in the past few years.

Of course prices were lower 10 years ago. Damn near everything was cheaper 10 years go....back when Jack O'Connor was hunting them they were really cheap too!!!
How much would you say ball park for a cancellation hunt, or does it just depend on how much of a deposit they have collected from the cancelling hunter. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Bdub let's see that bear picture on your avatar! Looks like a monster!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
How much would you say ball park for a cancellation hunt, or does it just depend on how much of a deposit they have collected from the cancelling hunter. Thanks.
These last minute hunts your getting them for around 10000$, but have 15000$ ready to go for a trophy fee on a monster caribou or grizzly. But just becasue its a last minute cancellation doesnt mean you dont have to prepare all summer getting into shape.

You have to mentally prepare bigtime and beleive me there is always last minute hunts every year.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Thanks, I got another picture of it on the bear pic thread a while ago. I am not that great with getting pics on here but I will try and put another couple up for you later. Busy AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
These last minute hunts your getting them for around 10000$, but have 15000$ ready to go for a trophy fee on a monster caribou or grizzly. But just becasue its a last minute cancellation doesnt mean you dont have to prepare all summer getting into shape.

You have to mentally prepare bigtime and beleive me there is always last minute hunts every year.
Is that another 15000 on top of the 10000 for griz and caribou. I wouldn't mind another mtn caribou but have enough grizz. I am in shape all summer, I climb every set of days off pretty much once or twice at least and then hike lots in between. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Here they are BBO. Spring 2008
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0498_3.jpg (51.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0503.JPG (32.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
To second what Rackmastr said, it is worth trying for a cancellation hunt. Do your research and narrow it down to a handful of outfitters you would be interested/willing to hunt with. After you have your short list touch base and have them add you to their cancellation lists, and then periodically throughout the year touch base with them - especially as the hunting season gets closer. (NWT is mid July I believe and Yukon is Aug 1st) In the past few years I've also heard of some last minute deals to be had with a few different outfitters.
You bet thanks alot, I have been talking with a couple outfitters already about this. This is the way i will go even if it takes a few extra years to make it happen.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You bet thanks alot, I have been talking with a couple outfitters already about this. This is the way i will go even if it takes a few extra years to make it happen.
There were a couple smoking last minute deals last fall that I heard about so don't lose hope.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM

I can highly recommend Bonnet Plume Outfitters. Top notch operation.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkid View Post
I can highly recommend Bonnet Plume Outfitters. Top notch operation.
You bet chris called me and i sent up jake a good friend of mine and he killed a dandy ram with chris on a very last minute deal, hunt of a lifetime.

Yea tj there was a few smoking deals last year for sure.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Prohet muskwa

If your looking for a good place thats been opened for years and have great sucsess rates take a look at prophet muskwa in yukon have awesome territory up there.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_buckhunter View Post
If your looking for a good place thats been opened for years and have great sucsess rates take a look at prophet muskwa in yukon have awesome territory up there.
Are you talking about the devils hole or what, Prophet is bc, my brother guides for kevin at the muskwa. Nathan runs devils hole if thats teh one your talking about
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Arctic Red River Outfitters is about as good as it gets for backpack hunts but they are probably booked for 2013.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM

Does anybody know anything about deltana outfitters? I really wanna do a backpack hunt with billy moles.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Ya i guess sorry im working for him this year also in bc