Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Default Divy up coyotes.

Never seen this discussed before, out of curiosity, -- wondering how you guys that hunt coyote --2 or more participants divy up the fur money. Aside from being fair & splitting the fuel for the day to whoevers truck is used. Is it whoever pop's the coyote ,that's your little stash-- or is it however many mutts are bagged/ regardless who pulled the trigger are split evenly.. $$$
Old 02-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Never seen this discussed before, out of curiosity, -- wondering how you guys that hunt coyote --2 or more participants divy up the fur money. Aside from being fair & splitting the fuel for the day to whoevers truck is used. Is it whoever pop's the coyote ,that's your little stash-- or is it however many mutts are bagged/ regardless who pulled the trigger are split evenly.. $$$
Do you keep all the meat when you and your buddy(s) go elk hunting and you pop the elk?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Do you keep all the meat when you and your buddy(s) go elk hunting and you pop the elk?
I get it -- but I don't hunt big game.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Who ever shot it gets the hide. Then we draw straws for who gets the meat...
Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM

When calling either could shoot the coyote no sense fighting for the coyote. Whoever has the easiest shot should shoot thus put fur up together and send it in together. If you want to do it seperate just alternate coyotes. In my opinion when hunting coyotes together who shot should have no bearing on who gets the dawgs
Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Yup. I have yet to hunt with another guy equally skilled at calling/ finding elk or coyotes for that matter. I put in all the effort and skills to harvest, it's my tag that I purchased and punched I keep the meat. If I ever found a 50/50 partner who put in the same effort and brought the same skill level I would consider a split but the majority of guys that ask to hunt with me do so so they can get my experience to help them tag their animal. Not help me get mine. I prefer to hunt alone, the guys who ask me to go out with them are generally looking for a guide not a partner
Old 02-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
When calling either could shoot the coyote no sense fighting for the coyote. Whoever has the easiest shot should shoot thus put fur up together and send it in together. If you want to do it seperate just alternate coyotes. In my opinion when hunting coyotes together who shot should have no bearing on who gets the dawgs
Because everything with coyotes is never cut & dried , its pretty tough to alternate . Some guys just happen to be in the right place more often than others where they get more opportunities for a shot. And some guys are naturals & almost never miss-- while others are not so skilled and rarely connect. --Just sayin.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Banned

I won't hunt dogs with anyone who is not my friend......therefor if either of us gets one, we share 50/50

neither of us keeps track; one day he takes his truck, one day I take mine. if you are so anal that you're keeping track, I don't want you around.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
I won't hunt dogs with anyone who is not my friend......therefor if either of us gets one, we share 50/50

neither of us keeps track; one day he takes his truck, one day I take mine. if you are so anal that you're keeping track, I don't want you around.
I would have to agree with this.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

I usually treat coyote hunting the same as big game hunting and marriage.

Get it in writing. It may end up a 50/50 split but having a pre nup just makes sense. It takes the spark out of the game but it is the sensible thing to do.

I have a lawyer that charges me a flat rate and it works out well cause my partners all pay as well.

For the fuel for hunting and scouting and the maintenance and wear and tear on vehicles and gear, we share the cost on a prorated basis, based on years of experience, skills and talents.

About the only arguments that come up is what kind of dog food I( should feed. Since they are my dogs, I think I should decide and then just split the cost. Others feel ' OL Roy" is good enough, at least on the days the dog work is lacking.

Sandwiches are also a bone of contention since some of the wive's are loath to follow instruction for construction of meat in a bun. And of course some of the boys are still happily single and usually get Mrs, sub to make them.

Hunting can be a challenge and don't even get me started on fishing.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-03-2019, 08:13 PM

We usually alternate who's truck is taken and who's area we go to so there is no need to pay for one another's gas. The one who shoots the dog is the one to keep it (always shoot in your lane) we also alternate who calls so the dogs don't get used to one or the others calling.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I usually treat coyote hunting the same as big game hunting and marriage.

Get it in writing. It may end up a 50/50 split but having a pre nup just makes sense. It takes the spark out of the game but it is the sensible thing to do.

I have a lawyer that charges me a flat rate and it works out well cause my partners all pay as well.

For the fuel for hunting and scouting and the maintenance and wear and tear on vehicles and gear, we share the cost on a prorated basis, based on years of experience, skills and talents.

About the only arguments that come up is what kind of dog food I( should feed. Since they are my dogs, I think I should decide and then just split the cost. Others feel ' OL Roy" is good enough, at least on the days the dog work is lacking.

Sandwiches are also a bone of contention since some of the wive's are loath to follow instruction for construction of meat in a bun. And of course some of the boys are still happily single and usually get Mrs, sub to make them.

Hunting can be a challenge and don't even get me started on fishing.
^^^^^this^^^^^

Lmao

BW
Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM

I have one buddy that I mainly coyote hunt with. It works out great, I take all the hides and he gets all the meat.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yup. I have yet to hunt with another guy equally skilled at calling/ finding elk or coyotes for that matter. I put in all the effort and skills to harvest, it's my tag that I purchased and punched I keep the meat. If I ever found a 50/50 partner who put in the same effort and brought the same skill level I would consider a split but the majority of guys that ask to hunt with me do so so they can get my experience to help them tag their animal. Not help me get mine. I prefer to hunt alone, the guys who ask me to go out with them are generally looking for a guide not a partner
Many good responses. I tend to agree with you, many partners do not put in equal effort-- if one is a master at it & the other is -- "well I get paid 1/2 even if I'm worn out --or " that's too far to walk" -- you get the drift-- then they might as stay home. equal split = equal effort.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 PM

The gains are so small I’m shocked this is an issue to begin with.

He who shoots it gets it. We always alternate who’s on the trigger. Easy peasy
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Driver gets the money, we don't keep score as to how it unfolds.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Just out of curiosity, what does a good coyote pelt go for these days? Because as it stands right now, my "buddy" the crows get 100% of everything I shoot ( which is only 5-6 a year).
Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does a good coyote pelt go for these days? Because as it stands right now, my "buddy" the crows get 100% of everything I shoot ( which is only 5-6 a year).
skinned out expect a coyote to go for $100-130 for a good one and $25-40 for a whole frozen dog.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-04-2019, 07:09 AM

Rules are clear and established well before we leave home.

1/ my truck my gas, maintenance all mine and vice versa for buddies truck. Now there is 100% offering to pay; but usually but is refused. The second tank of fuel is picked up by the passenger.

2/ Alternate trucks every time out.

3/ Animal down, an offer is made and split 50/50; hide and head go to the shooter.

4/ Coyotes: who shot it takes it. Alternate calling

5/ Fishing, my boat his truck

6/ Food/drink: bring your own

7/ Breakfast: passenger pays

On an overnight; keep all receipts and when you get home each guy adds up his portion and it is all 50/50.

I don't hunt or fish with cheap guys. If that happens there is no second trip.

It is like having a BYOB evening at the house, the visitor always leaves his food behind and the spirits.
Nothing unnerves me more than a guy wanting the 4 cans of left over beer or the heel of a bottle of wine.

Again, never a re-invite.

The problem comes when there are no agreements and everyone is too polite to say anything...I have seen this ruin good friendships.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 02-04-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:18 AM

There is no I in TEAM,,

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-04-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
There is no I in TEAM,,
....for some, they manage to spell "me" in team......Oh look, my truck is now full, sorry, maybe next time....lol

BTW threeforthree; welcome aboard...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:31 AM

He who skins & puts-up the fur, gets the dough..! I don't give a sh!t who shot the dog.

And yes, most guys I hunt coyotes with... Don't know how to skin a coyote, let alone put up the fur properly.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Only hunted one time with a guy when it wasn't 50/50 on expenses as well as profit. As I said it only happened once.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 AM

Smile

Quote:
You sound like a highly skilled individual.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Oh he is,just ask him.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 AM

Pretty much hunt with the same guys for many years. All expenses are split 50/50. Meat or yotes 50/50 no matter who bags it. I do the same with any new people I hunt with except on fuel. My truck passenger pays fuel, his truck I pay the fuel. Helps cover off the rest of the ownership costs of running a truck and you don't have to worry about being able to alternate.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Not especially but I actually put time and effort in scouting/ prepping. I keep reeds in my truck 24-7 and practice while driving for work. I spend evenings driving around scouting for coyotes and getting land owner permission before a hunt which is why I have pretty good calling success. I spend time learning how to enter a Stand and setting up so I am in the optimum place for calling/ killing. I spend my money hand calls, decoys and E callers and practice them until I can use them correctly. The guys that want to hunt with me do none of this they just tag along and borrow my gear ( seats, sticks, sometimes guns cause.....they didn't have time to sight theirs in or buy ammo....) None of these guys know how to skin/ put up fur..... I have yet to hunt with someone who...takes me to their spot that they have scouted, and they call the coyote in so I can shoot it. So far every and any called in coyote has been 100% my work. It's always my truck, my gas...like I said usually I hunt alone
Old 02-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not especially but I actually put time and effort in scouting/ prepping. I keep reeds in my truck 24-7 and practice while driving for work. I spend evenings driving around scouting for coyotes and getting land owner permission before a hunt which is why I have pretty good calling success. I spend time learning how to enter a Stand and setting up so I am in the optimum place for calling/ killing. I spend my money hand calls, decoys and E callers and practice them until I can use them correctly. The guys that want to hunt with me do none of this they just tag along and borrow my gear ( seats, sticks, sometimes guns cause.....they didn't have time to sight theirs in or buy ammo....) None of these guys know how to skin/ put up fur..... I have yet to hunt with someone who...takes me to their spot that they have scouted, and they call the coyote in so I can shoot it. So far every and any called in coyote has been 100% my work. It's always my truck, my gas...like I said usually I hunt alone
sounds like you hang with a great bunch......
there are lots of good guys out there, but with your skills/mindset, perhaps it will be difficult for you to find someone like minded
Old 02-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
On your first post I was wondering how you and your ego decide who gets what, but after reading this I think maybe your friends suck. I'd hunt alone too.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:22 AM

I like Smokyutes response. Very fair! However as some have already stated. Putting up the fur properly is most important, anyone can pull a trigger on a coyote. Work starts in the skinning shed.