Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Default Any problems W/Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot bow mount bt

Those of you that have this motor have you had any issues with it . I have a new one to mount courteous of my good wife & was excited about the features but not sure now after I looked over the manual , seems a little too complicated . Didn't realize you have to Get heading sensor, I-pilot, hand held control all to sink so everything works . Researched issues & some have problems with the remote not sinking , some with problems internal in the head of unit , not sinking together .These are just two examples. At least I have the option to return the unit, I'm debating to go for just the basic power drive without all the bells & whistles. I used to have one with auto pilot not co pilot like someone thought in a retail store, until the internal board burnt out last year . Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated .
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM

I have the ulterra. had an error code rf , and now have sent the wireless remote to minnkoda for warranty replacement . been 2 weeks so far, hope this week we get back.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

The technology is worth the risk of a rare failure. Minn kota has a top notch service department and will fix you up in the off chance of an issue.

Im on my 4th ipilot link motor....no issues whatsoever and i did the installs on each one myself. Follow the instructions its not that complicated.

The ipilot features are so worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Mine has worked flawlessly for 4 years.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 AM

I have a power drive with i pilot/remote and i love it. I would jump at the chance to upgrade to the set up that you will have if you move forward with it. There really arent any extra pieces associated from the power drive to the terrova from what i understand. That heading sensor is a function of the i pilot associated mostly for the jog feature im pretty sure.

The main difference for the trolling motor itself is the higher thrust as well as the lift assist arm. Both of which you will want to have. The deploying of the powerdrive without the arm is a pain to be honest, always works, but would be nicer to have that arm.

Ive had mine around 4 years as well and i have been waiting for an issue to arise but it never has yet. Always keep a spare battery for the i pilot hand remote because its a pain to find at times, very specific. I also cover the head of the trolling motor up to prevent dust and rocks etc while driving on the road. You can also get a bracket to fasten it to the hull of the boat while transporting as well to save it bouncing around a ton. I think that will def help. You will love that set up. Dont be nervous! If you are that nervous to downgrade then i would reccomend not even bothering with i pilot and just using the wired foot remote (which i hate, but bass fisherman swear by them). Keep the set up its perfect!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:15 AM

Unless they have changed something you don't even necessarily need to use the heading sensor unless you want to use certain features ( spot lock drift? i think?)

I just linked the remote on mine and was of to the races. It has been absolutely flawless.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 AM

I have the ulterra. I believe it’s the remote acting up but it’s out of its warranty so I am using the foot peddle now. The replace remotes are so crazy expensive.