Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Maligne Lake Report

So I took the son and daughter to Jasper for my annual pilgrimage.

Went up to Maligne on Saturday AM to a balmy 6 C. Other boats had already launched, and judging by no boats at all near Home Bay, they may have arrived Friday to stay down the lake.

Started out trolling with the Williams Wobbler and fly / spinner / Flatfish all the way to Frog Rock with out a hit?? Carried down around the corner to try at Coronet Creek, and still nothing?

Son wanted to cross to the far side towards the Orange Scotchman which marks a reef, so I said OK. Nothing on the crossing, and it was windy and cold with the wind blowing out of the southwest off the glaciers.

Far side I took over and started hugging shore staying just in the blue water and off the rocks heading back to the boathouse. First fish was a 20" rainbow that hit the rooster tail spinner in brook trout pattern.

Other rod got changed to a yellow F 5 Flatfish with the black and red dots in total desperation. I never fish the yellow pattern as the black or frog or gator usually is all I need to use. Not this trip. Yellow flatfish goes off with a bang with a nice nice brookie. 2 more nice brookies were followed on the yellow flatfish so I had a pattern and switched over. Picked up a 22 " rainbow and the wind picked up and the sky started going very dark so that was that and we ran for the launch after switching batteries.

We managed to load up before the rain started, so a little hypothermic, but happy.

This was 7 hours of very cold and windy conditions, so we didn't get a limit, but that does not matter, I learned that the yellow F5 produces fish, and we beat the weather.

Until next year Maligne!

Drewski
Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Sounds like a win to me! Gutting it out in the trench!

BW