Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 AM

Default New Boat Cover

I'm in need of a new travel and storage boat cover. Don't want to spend upwards of a $1000 for custom. I have a 17ft. Sylvan fish and ski with a walk through windshied. I see the big box stores have a variety but how good do they fit and last. (as they say fits 17 - 19ft.) Who has bought one and some reviews would be nice. Would like water proof as repellent don't last. I always double cover for winter storage. If it don't fit tight then going on the highway with it fluttering in the wind will over time tear it to shreds. Thanks for all your input. Oh by the way my last one was custom made with Sumbrella but now he has sold the company and will cost me at least $1200-$1600 with the new in training owner. It cost me $500 the last time and could not have been happier with the fit. Going on close to 10 yrs. It's starting to split and seams are letting loose and let's water in.

Last edited by barbless; 08-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Banned

I bought a Cabelas multi-fit cover for a dual consul 1650 3 winters ago for a little less than $300 (sale price). There is a cord the runs around the hem that you tighten with their "ratchet system." I thought it was a good price and the fit, while not perfect, was adequate. A wider beam would make the fit much better. I keep that boat on the driveway and brush the snow off regularly to prevent ice formation and that extra weight. The fabric is beginning to weaken and I don't suppose I'll get more than another year out of it.

I usually leave the cover on when I'm driving to the fishing but rarely put it on for the return trip to allow airing out the deck, then replace it to store.

I have decided that when the time comes to replace it, I'm going to Denham Awning Makers in Saskatoon for a custom fitted job, quoted at about $800. A snap cover was estimated at $1250. I'm hoping to get double the life and a nicer looking fit.

That said, my good friend has a 21' glass tiller that came with a custom fitted snap cover that looks great, cost a lot and ruined the finish on his tiller handle because the snaps popped and it flapped in the wind for a few hundred miles en-route to a tourney. Get turn-top fasteners across the stern if you go that way.

Free
Old 08-21-2019, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I like to cover on the way home cause a stray rock will kill a windshield. I might just try one and see how it goes. Also try to keep snow off. The wind flap and slap will tear it apart. I'll figure something cause mine just let's rain water come through.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 PM

I bought an amazing cover from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seaswirl-St...d225a49110baed

Maybe they have one to fit yours.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I bought a Cabelas multi-fit cover for a dual consul 1650 3 winters ago for a little less than $300 (sale price). There is a cord the runs around the hem that you tighten with their "ratchet system." I thought it was a good price and the fit, while not perfect, was adequate. A wider beam would make the fit much better. I keep that boat on the driveway and brush the snow off regularly to prevent ice formation and that extra weight. The fabric is beginning to weaken and I don't suppose I'll get more than another year out of it.

I usually leave the cover on when I'm driving to the fishing but rarely put it on for the return trip to allow airing out the deck, then replace it to store.

I have decided that when the time comes to replace it, I'm going to Denham Awning Makers in Saskatoon for a custom fitted job, quoted at about $800. A snap cover was estimated at $1250. I'm hoping to get double the life and a nicer looking fit.

That said, my good friend has a 21' glass tiller that came with a custom fitted snap cover that looks great, cost a lot and ruined the finish on his tiller handle because the snaps popped and it flapped in the wind for a few hundred miles en-route to a tourney. Get turn-top fasteners across the stern if you go that way.

Free
I don't know how Denham Awning Makers quality is these days but I had a custom travel cover made there about 10 years ago based on someones recommendations. Garbage. I had to have it repaired and modified twice in Edmonton before it fit and functioned properly.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Don't use the turn buttons. They will rust, and wear and break, and they require 2 fasteners per turn button = 1 extra un-needed hole in your boat.
Request these instead:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stay put.jpg (19.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:02 AM

The elastic is easy to replace if something breaks (diy), and the studs are low profile with no sharp edges to catch on people or clothes making it a lot safer.
Turn button are notorious for catching on clothes, fishing line, breaking among other things.
If you don't go the stay put way, use snaps.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
x2

I am happy with my Cabelas cover, I think there is great value in it.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM

Canvas Mart. Lady building covers is awesome.

Dodger.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Default Cabelas

Put a Cabelas cover on my 21' cuddy. The fit is approximate at best though you can get it fairly tight with the tensioners and drawstring. I only use mine in winter and have built a prop system to avoid any snow buildup in storage. 8 years in and it is starting to fade, no punctures or tears yet and I'm guessing I can get another 2 yrs.

Considering I paid like $250 (on promo) I am happy. There probably are better covers but not at that price.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 PM

Many thanks to all AO members for their input. My concern with travelling would be, do the box store ones have the extra fabric over the windshield edges? Guess I have to also make sure the beam width is right size (important)? Think maybe if I bring my boat to Cabela's or Bass Pro would they let me try them on for size in the parking lot or in front of the service door before buying?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Many thanks to all AO members for their input. My concern with travelling would be, do the box store ones have the extra fabric over the windshield edges? Guess I have to also make sure the beam width is right size (important)? Think maybe if I bring my boat to Cabela's or Bass Pro would they let me try them on for size in the parking lot or in front of the service door before buying?
You might be surprised how few choices you have at Cabelas. When I bought mine I remember I had almost no choice in the correct size.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Cabelas Ratchet Support system

I should mention that after the first year the cord around the hem was unraveling and it created a big problem to replace. I'd advise replacing it immediately with a better piece of string that is solid rather than a cotton wrap around a synthetic core.

Free
Old 08-27-2019, 07:34 AM

We have been using the Cabelas cover. We buy 1 a year basically and my wife sews a custom fit. Dealer is totally ignorant of where to purchase a replacement for the one that came with the boat. The boat has a great system of a few snaps in front, a few in back and the sides are kind of a pull and fit, worked great for probably 7 years. In hindsight cover with another tarp in the winter, canvas will last longer.
Doug