Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 02:41 PM

Default Gamo

I have a Gamo Big Cat 1250,shoot crosman ultra magnum 10.5 gr ! They are awesome,Ravens avoid my place now!
Old 06-15-2020, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Tie the peanut + shell to the birdfeeder with 20ft of mono and watch them closeline themselves.
That is just all day fun with squirrels too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC HUNTER View Post
I have a Gamo Big Cat 1250,shoot crosman ultra magnum 10.5 gr ! They are awesome,Ravens avoid my place now!
My favorite is the pcp, but I like the Nitro as well. I haven't really even shot the Banjamin .25 much, the other 2 are too much fun.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-15-2020, 04:28 PM

Awesome on squirrels .177cal
Old 06-26-2020, 05:26 PM

Oh, so satisfying.

THWAK from a .25 pcp gun at 85 yards, blew it all to well, you know.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-26-2020, 05:50 PM

4 more.

Magpie funerals are just the best, never even had to change my rest on the tree. They just kept hopping up on the same branch lol. So many mosquito's though!

Bam poof sqwauk sqwauk sqwauk Bam poof....

Old 10-15-2020, 10:42 AM

They are getting cagier.

I am sitting in my office, look out the window and there sitting in the crutch of the old maple tree is a magpie looking at me. He is 35' away, about 10' higher than me. And looking right at me. I moved to get out of my chair and he was gone like someone shot him out of a cannon. They love the sunflower seeds I have out, guess I will have to turn the office light off and crack the window open today

They are definately smart little buggers, for the most part.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:18 PM

The last week has been extremely entertaining.
My Rem 597 has decided it wants to be a single shot, at least the odd one it gets off so I have been using the Hatsan .25cal PCP on gophers. I have shot about 300 gophers in a few days with it. IT IS AWESOME!

The 2 problems are pellets are the same price as wildcat .22 shells, which is insane, and I have to go home to recharge quite often.

I am thinking of loading the generator and 5 gallon water bottle in the pickup for recharging in the field.

Has anyone got a good supplier for .25 pellets?

Old 05-05-2022, 09:43 PM

Ken

No help on cheap ammo but if you want easy recharges get a couple of scuba tanks. Fill them and use them to recharge the gun in the field. Probably the simplest way to keep on going in high volume shooting situations.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ken

No help on cheap ammo but if you want easy recharges get a couple of scuba tanks. Fill them and use them to recharge the gun in the field. Probably the simplest way to keep on going in high volume shooting situations.
Thanks Dean.

I was going to repurpose a carbon fibre scba tank from the firehall, but they are dangerous, 4500 psi frightening in an old tank.

If I find a current one decently priced I may do that. Then I can just fill it with the cascade or compressor at the fire hall

Old 05-06-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks Dean.

I was going to repurpose a carbon fibre scba tank from the firehall, but they are dangerous, 4500 psi frightening in an old tank.

If I find a current one decently priced I may do that. Then I can just fill it with the cascade or compressor at the fire hall
Ken; Be sure to use the fire hall comp.It probably fills for breathable air.Other shop type compressors ,have a tendency to put water vapors in.Which is hard on pcps.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:06 AM

Default review best pellet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1JKN6gedU
Old 05-06-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Ken; Be sure to use the fire hall comp.It probably fills for breathable air.Other shop type compressors ,have a tendency to put water vapors in.Which is hard on pcps.
Mine came with an online filter that I questioned, have been watching it and checking the foam filter.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The last week has been extremely entertaining.
My Rem 597 has decided it wants to be a single shot, at least the odd one it gets off so I have been using the Hatsan .25cal PCP on gophers. I have shot about 300 gophers in a few days with it. IT IS AWESOME!

The 2 problems are pellets are the same price as wildcat .22 shells, which is insane, and I have to go home to recharge quite often.

I am thinking of loading the generator and 5 gallon water bottle in the pickup for recharging in the field.

Has anyone got a good supplier for .25 pellets?
I get all my pellets from D&L Airgun.
There are some H&N pellets on their website that seem fairly reasonabley priced.
https://dlairgun.com/collections/h-n...target-trophy6
https://dlairgun.com/collections/h-n...-25-han-pl-127
Old 05-06-2022, 12:07 PM

Hey Ken - I'd appreciate if you kept us informed about your compressor/tank adventures. I'm going to be in the same boat later this year. I got rid of my nitrogen tank and will need to do what you are doing. Yes, for a Hatsan .25

Thanks
Old 05-06-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Hey Ken - I'd appreciate if you kept us informed about your compressor/tank adventures. I'm going to be in the same boat later this year. I got rid of my nitrogen tank and will need to do what you are doing. Yes, for a Hatsan .25

Thanks
I will, for sure although to be honest, spending $20 plus tax, freight for 200 pellets grinds my gears, when I just bought 100 boxes of 50 wildcat .22 shells for the same price per shot. Lead pellets have no brass, no primer, no powder, yet same price?

For $20 there should be 1000 pellets.honestly.

After I see how these wildcats do I will decide on what I am going to do next, use as is, load up the generator and water bottle, or buy a tank and a convertor hose. I bet that's $350 plus by the time I am done, and .22 shells will still be a cheaper, more powerful, easily found alternative IF supplies are replenished at the stores.
If only we had a crystal ball, hey?

Old 05-06-2022, 11:39 PM

You aren't wrong...

Maybe time for you to start making your own slugs? Cause of course you need another hobby... LOL

Amazon?
Old 05-07-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I will, for sure although to be honest, spending $20 plus tax, freight for 200 pellets grinds my gears, when I just bought 100 boxes of 50 wildcat .22 shells for the same price per shot. Lead pellets have no brass, no primer, no powder, yet same price?

For $20 there should be 1000 pellets.honestly.

After I see how these wildcats do I will decide on what I am going to do next, use as is, load up the generator and water bottle, or buy a tank and a convertor hose. I bet that's $350 plus by the time I am done, and .22 shells will still be a cheaper, more powerful, easily found alternative IF supplies are replenished at the stores.
If only we had a crystal ball, hey?
New hobby for you, Ken... http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm
Old 05-07-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
New hobby for you, Ken... http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm
And I would place the first order.
I would be more than happy to pay $20 per 1,000 for Match grade .22 pellets, 5.53 mm diameter, 14.66 grains all properly sorted with zero defects. Cleaned and lubricated, of course.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:32 PM

My go-to attractor for Magpies and Crows is empty McDonald Packages. draws em in like moths to a light.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-15-2022, 09:36 PM

dead gophers have been stacking up magpies today

best day of the year so far, sunny, less than gale force wind finally

The pcp hatsan .25cal is getting the majority of the work, it is an amazing rifle

Old 05-29-2022, 08:07 PM

I have shot 1000 pellets through the pcp hatsan .25 in the last couple weeks, along with 3000 wildcat and another 700 assorted .22 rounds. 25,000 gophers to go in this half section.

I need to find a scba tank for refilling the pcp and a pistol for close up gophers.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks
My little compressor is just a wonderful thing, fills to 200bar in under 90 seconds, wow does it make heat through the tubes. I burned myself on them a year or 2 ago, never make that mistake twice.
I took a 20L water bottle, cut a hole in it for the submersible pump and run the water flow back in the top for cooling. Works great.

This is the exact one I got from a Canadian store, would bet huge they bought from Aliexpress and just tripled the price for retail. Exact same one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...xx__1653924241

unpacking video of the yong heng 300bar compressor

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...xx__1653924241

Old 05-30-2022, 07:06 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned Airgun Source yet, they carry pellets,slugs, tanks,compressors ect.