Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 PM

Default Shooting a compound with your fingers.

I'm just wondering how many others shoot with their fingers. Also how do you place your fingers? Had a friend tell me multiple people told him to put 3 fingers under the arrow, which seems weird to me. I shoot 1 on top and 2 below, and it's never given me any problems.

Matt
Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 PM

20 lbs genesis bows for NASP are compound with no let off. I shot, and taught to shoot, and the program training is to shoot with 3 fingers under arrow. I wouldn't try it on my 72 lbs bow though. Risk of torquing string off cams. Some people shoot as you do and I don't know if it matters much, I just wasn't taught that way and didn't teach that way. You may contact the nock or inadvertently pinch it though

Edit :
Check this thread as caution to using fingers to draw compound
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231398

Last edited by kujoseto; 06-25-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm shooting about 72 pounds as well, so a release is recommended then? I shot for ten years then stopped for ten and am just getting back into it again. I have an older darton viper.

Matt
Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 AM

Pete will probably confirm here...
Back in the day when compounds first came out we didnt have releases and the bows were plently long ATA ..like four feet or better...lol
so we all shot with fingers...

I shot with fingers into the 80's even with second generation compounds...
the three fingers under was called the "Apache"... accurate and easier to aim down arrow...however only at short distance...20-30 yds max

The standard two below /one above let you get longer distances out to 50-60yd...harder to aim but once mastered very accurate...

So if shooting longer distances with a compound ...a longer ATA and two below /one above will serve you well...

The shorter the bow's ATA the more arrow pinch and uneven finger release i common...

Neil
Old 06-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Shot fingers for many years. Always looked for a bow with at least 36" axle to axle. Always shot near max lbs....just under 80lb......and did quite good.

Always did the 1 up 2 below, but you really have to watch the pinch.

Even my current (diamond victory)bow I shot with fingers......the 80% let off and 70lbs and zero creep backwall changed that after I let a few go (every year) while still coming down onto target. It just suprises the hell out of you and when it comes on, it's gone from your fingers. But the plus side is that there is no time to pluck when your ready....almost seems as if the thought ( but actually just a slight move forward) was enough to send the arrow.

Not sure why any distance would matter for fingers.....other than ability to shoot. It takes fair bit of practice to work out the problems in form. Spent every evening shooting a 100 arrows till I got to a level I liked.

I always shot fingers against my friends with triggers for beers out to 80 yards. Some days I drank, somedays I bought.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 PM

Been shooting fingers with my compound for 36 years. One up two below.When younger was shooting 72 lbs now shoot 61 lbs. No issues at all

Gord
Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM

Back in the early 80's when I first met Ackley Abe, he was shooting a PSE Citation in the bowhunter class and doing quite well with it.
Three fingers under however is mainly used by stick bow shooters, and does not lend itself well to instinctive style shooting but rather to point of aim shooting.

Every wheel shooter I have ever met that shoots finders uses the standard Mediterranean style of hold with two fingers under and one over , same as most stick shooters.
Cat
Old 06-29-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister12 View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm shooting about 72 pounds as well, so a release is recommended then? I shot for ten years then stopped for ten and am just getting back into it again. I have an older darton viper.

Matt
I am asuming you mean older Darton Vapor?

Coupound bows under 36" like many of the older Vapors may be hard to shoot due to the shorter ATA ...the shorter the bow the more nock pinch due to string angle...the longer the draw the more angle also..
so a Release may be best...
When release's first came out I actually lobbied to have them banned...new fangled technology taking away from the traditional means...lol

Then I had several back operations and the only way I could shoot was with one of those new fangled releases...got three Robin hoods in less than a week that first week...opened my eyes on accuracy..

Havent turned back since...and most modern bows are designed for release...36" or less ATA

Hats off to those that still shoot fingers and do a great job...everyone should try it...

Does no harm to try a release...
Neil
Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 AM

I shoot fingers for twenty years and then got a new bow and well had to switch to a release I find it way better but still having a hard time getting comfortable with the release and its been 15 years now maybe try a back tension one next but very pricey
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM

I tried to use a release once but that was a no go Just cant get hang of it shoot a foot left at ten yards. Went back to fingers. Fingers have a few bonus's
Havent forgotten my fingers
Havent lost my fingers
Havent jammed or gotten dirt in them making them non functional
When excited the fingers go on string much faster than release
My fingers were free only cost a sheap deerskin glove
Accuracy is good enough to fill freezer every year
When cold out I can pick nose with finger try that with a release HA
Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
I tried to use a release once but that was a no go Just cant get hang of it shoot a foot left at ten yards. Went back to fingers. Fingers have a few bonus's
Havent lost my fingers
Slammed my release in a truck door once...try that with yer fancy fingers...

lol

NOTE* that was a joke kiddos dont try this at home ...lol

Neil
Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Havent lost my fingers
That actually be closer to center shot than maybe fingers...next time your around a shop that has A Hooter Shooter...[mechanical bow shooter] fire a few off thru the Hooter Shooter compare with POI of shooting with fingers...may tell you a lot...

Neil
Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 PM

Lost arrow - it is a darton viper, 43 inch ATA.

Matt
Old 06-30-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Lost arrow - it is a darton viper, 43 inch ATA.

Matt
Wow it is the Viper...that bow was made to shoot fingers also...will do well either way...I remember them ahead of their time for the early 90's...fast but a little noisy...limb savers, string whiskers, and the right stabilizer will quite it right down...I also remeber them being a little hard on strings of the day... have you had a good look at the strings lately?...and when were they last changed?

Neil
Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM

Just had a new string put on a couple weeks ago. I put it away ten years ago because the string was frayed and just never got it re strung until now. Looking forward to getting back into it. I tried the old cobra release I have, and just can't get comfortable with it. So for now I think I'll stick with fingers. Any suggestions on a release to try?

Thanks
Matt
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Just had a new string put on a couple weeks ago. I put it away ten years ago because the string was frayed and just never got it re strung until now. Looking forward to getting back into it. I tried the old cobra release I have, and just can't get comfortable with it. So for now I think I'll stick with fingers. Any suggestions on a release to try?

Thanks
Matt
I have been shooting the Fletchunter releases for 30 years...had three lost one still shooting other two...almost zero maintainance for hunting...wash in mud puddle once a year wheter it needs it or not...lol

Suitable for target and 3D also...tested many always came back to it...

Problem with the cheap entry level cobra is they are not comfortable or adjustable enough to shoot consistant for most...they work but there is better you will hear a lot of suggestions...like asking about broadheads.

If your nearby drop in and I will let you try mine and set you up...on obligations...

https://fletcherarchery.com/products...eluxe-release/

Neil