Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Road Kill

I guess they are not allowing Resident trapper's to obtain a permit to pick up game animals on side of road anymore, Their words were "there are too many Resident Trappers wanting permit and hard to keep track of"
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM

not true
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 PM

Who did you hear that from Peter ? Volker Stevin guys around here are more than happy to let me help out .
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Who did you hear that from Peter ? Volker Stevin guys around here are more than happy to let me help out .
I just went to the High River Branch today and that is the statement she gave me exactly as I stated,now if this true at this Branch than why is it not the same else where,and if this is being allowed else where that is total BS IMO
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

just guessing here guys, but am thinking f&w probably has a different philosophy/different answers than Volker employees......not saying it's a secret some get the odd road kill, but hope by talking about it we're not brewing a problem somewhere down the road.

maybe just let it lie (lay?), and not get a problem stirred up?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Banned

There's no issue whatsoever salvaging roadkill in the two districts that I deal with as long as you take the whole animal and not leave a gutpile and, it stays within the zone where it was killed. I just email the species, sex, location and a picture. Your district is probably ticked off with sending out letters to possess. Too easy, if it's not going into the freezer for human consumption or dog food, don't bother with the letter. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
just guessing here guys, but am thinking f&w probably has a different philosophy/different answers than Volker employees......not saying it's a secret some get the odd road kill, but hope by talking about it we're not brewing a problem somewhere down the road.

maybe just let it lie (lay?), and not get a problem stirred up?
My issue is that the different branches are not consistant when giving approval for certain things,it should be an even playing field,i have just as much right as anyone else is my point,thanks,not looking to be in procession of something then be in trouble either.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
My issue is that the different branches are not consistant when giving approval for certain things,it should be an even playing field,i have just as much right as anyone else is my point,thanks,not looking to be in procession of something then be in trouble either.
i agree about the different branches not having consistent policies for this kind of thing. it is frustrating. i think if a trapper has a trapping licence and is operating a bait site that should be all the permission he/she needs to pick up road kill.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
i agree about the different branches not having consistent policies for this kind of thing. it is frustrating. i think if a trapper has a trapping licence and is operating a bait site that should be all the permission he/she needs to pick up road kill.
Yes and are we not an intregal part of conservation,Trapper's who are presently trapping on a resident license are the one of the greatest control devices available to keep predator's,in this instance coyote in check,not saying Registered Trapper's don't go after them as well as I know they do,the whole point of this thread is the inconsistency with branches.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Talked to the officers in Evansburg yesterday and they said that they read something about it earlier this year and will get back to me.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Banned

I met with an Officer in my district today in prep for the season and he confirmed that each district has their own policy wrt roadkills. He provided CWD areas as an example of where recovery of roadkill may be stricter. In this district there are so many roadkill’s that they’d rather see them go to use rather than have road crews pick them up and dispose of them. They seem to have a more common sense approach in this area as opposed others that I’ve heard about.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Default road kill

On the subject of road kill,needing bait more than once drove by road killed deer on the tch ,ideal for the trap line,about two weeks ago,came across a hugh road killed yote ,couldnt resist,trucked em---head hit perfect fur.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:46 PM

Don’t brag. F&W finds out will charge you $20 for a found dead permit.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:52 PM

I talk to one of the Wildlife Officer of my district (Mitch Visser from Vermilion) and he gave me the authorization to pick up road kill for my bait stations. The only thing that I have to do is to send him the grid or the location where I found the dead animal and the sex. I can use that for my bait but only if the animal stay in the same WMU. Almost the same rules than the Hunter Dave district.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:35 PM

I believe Nord has clarified the issue. It is a "CWD" concern where road killed deer are being moved throughout the province. They like animal to stay in same WMU. Boys mentioned at last Edson local meeting that new restrictions coming for road kill.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I guess they are not allowing Resident trapper's to obtain a permit to pick up game animals on side of road anymore, Their words were "there are too many Resident Trappers wanting permit and hard to keep track of"
You need to email your claim. Get their response in writing.

I'll suggest that this district has NO legal authority to stop you from obtaining road kill.
The "too busy" reasoning does not give them recourse to change the laws without written authority from the Minister.

There is NO requirement to obtain a permit BEFORE picking up roadkill.
There is a requirement to notify F&W asap AFTER you take possession of the animal.

Regarding different offices having different "Policies".....

Again, ask for this "Policy" in writing.

I'll bet you they can't, cause there is probably no such thing.

The CWD management protocol IS a good practice.
This needs to be followed, and made into actual provincial policy.
But for now, this is simply a request, not a law.

One of the biggest issues we are facing in Alberta wildlife management is an incoherent jumble of regulations, plans, policies and bureaucracies.
None of which are actually accountable to each other.

We MUST force the ministry to get the rules and agencies on the same page.
Until this happens, proper management is impossible.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-31-2017, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I believe Nord has clarified the issue. It is a "CWD" concern where road killed deer are being moved throughout the province. They like animal to stay in same WMU. Boys mentioned at last Edson local meeting that new restrictions coming for road kill.
I hope that nothing gets messed up for those of us with no issues recovering roadkill. Like Buck Du Nord, I merely have to email a picture of the roadkill with the location, sex and species.

Walking Buffalo...........The way that the regs are written it is at the discretion of the Officer as to whether or not they will allow you to possess any found dead wildlife. I don't think that more regs are required. An internal memo wrt roadkill to the district offices that are not allowing roadkill to be recovered would suffice IMO. More bureaucracy is not what is required.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-31-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:35 PM

I live along a very busy highway. About 1.5 miles of highway front property. Any roadkill that happens along there, I always grab and throw in the back 40. Ive talked to F&W about it, they said go ahead. I don't trap. I've spoked with highway maintenance with Carillon and it saves them time and effort and money trying to keep the ditches clean. No issues from anyone. Helps keeps birds and dogs and coyotes off the highway.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I live along a very busy highway. About 1.5 miles of highway front property. Any roadkill that happens along there, I always grab and throw in the back 40. Ive talked to F&W about it, they said go ahead. I don't trap. I've spoked with highway maintenance with Carillon and it saves them time and effort and money trying to keep the ditches clean. No issues from anyone. Helps keeps birds and dogs and coyotes off the highway.
Exactly! I'm not sure why some district offices don't think that way. What area of Alberta are you in?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Walking Buffalo...........The way that the regs are written it is at the discretion of the Officer as to whether or not they will allow you to possess any found dead wildlife. I don't think that more regs are required. An internal memo wrt roadkill to the district offices that are not allowing roadkill to be recovered would suffice IMO. More bureaucracy is not what is required.
I've never seen a regulation that says that.
Care to share?

There are conditions that regulate when and why they can say no, but only within the written rules, not at the simple whim of an officer.

Wouldn't this memo have to follow the law, or do you feel F&W doesn't have to follow written rules, that they can just make things up as they go along even if their actions are illegal?

As to the bureaucracy comment, I see you don't understand what I was getting at. Colour me unsurprised. (Yah, I'm grumpy and need to get out.... )

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-31-2017, 02:21 PM

Default Road Kill Update

My experience with this issue was cleared up after I sent e-mail to Higher ups,seems front desk staff didn't want to have to keep track of it all,I was contacted by one of the local Officer's and told that it was ok and that I would have to just contact Edmonton office when I picked any up off highway etc and give info on species etc
Old 12-31-2017, 02:30 PM

we picked up a large cow moose fresh road kill a couple weeks ago, took 3 guys and 2 quads to pull it up on the trailer

called Athabasca F&W (which our RMFA is under and the road kill was found in) before we started to load it up to make sure we were ok, and they said we have to physically go and sign the form at some point in future at their office in Athabasca , but it was all ours to use on the trapline

the Carillon guys showed up while we were loading and he was happy he didnt have to deal with the heavy son of a gun, win win for all involved

Last edited by D4l3k; 12-31-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Banned

Walking Buffalo

Have been down this road before and you definitely cannot take possession of a road killed animal without some authority given. Ownership of wildlife is vested in the crown and remains there until they transfer it to someone else. Thus you need some arrangement with F&W to take possession.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:07 PM

I had an arrangement worked out where I would email a picture of the road kill in the back of my truck, showing the plate. Along with date/time/location to an officer and he would message me back when my exhibit report was ready for pickup. Sadly he moved on and I haven't caught up with a new officer yet.

LC
Old 12-31-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I'm not sure why some district offices don't think that way. What area of Alberta are you in?
Bonnyville

I don’t do anything with it, just get em out of harms way. I used to call f&w and highway maintenance and md maintenance. But by the time they got there, I’ve noticed the heads cut off, and almost a couple accidents due to dogs and people swerving to miss em. I just move em now. No issues. Rcmp even stopped and helped one time.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I've never seen a regulation that says that.
Care to share?

There are conditions that regulate when and why they can say no, but only within the written rules, not at the simple whim of an officer.

Wouldn't this memo have to follow the law, or do you feel F&W doesn't have to follow written rules, that they can just make things up as they go along even if their actions are illegal?

As to the bureaucracy comment, I see you don't understand what I was getting at. Colour me unsurprised. (Yah, I'm grumpy and need to get out.... )
Happy New Years to you too ya snotty bugger.

I have gone down this route many times with roadkill and other found dead wildlife. You have absolutely no legal right to keep any found dead wildlife and, yes, it is a discretionary call by the F&W Officer that you report to.

A simple google search with “Found dead wildlife Alberta” brought this up:

If you have found a road-killed animal and would like to salvage the meat, contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office prior to taking such wildlife into your possession.

Explain the circumstances and where the carcass was found, keeping in mind that approvals to salvage meat are given on a case-by-case basis.

A Fish and Wildlife officer will advise you whether further investigation or inspection of the carcass will be required.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...-wildlife.aspx

This is a summarization but The Wildlife Act doesn’t state anything different. If you want to dig, go ahead, it’s a fools errand. You will not find the words “Will” or “Shall” wrt an Officer allowing you to keep Found Dead Wildlife but you will find the word “May”.

The controversy about what one district allows and another doesn’t isn’t new in the trapping world. If a Residential Trapper has an incidental otter catch when trapping beaver, one district may allow him to keep it while another may not. Case by case basis at the Officer’s discretion and all IAW the regs.

For others......If you find a roadkill or other found dead wildlife that you want to salvage you may do so without prior approval IF you have no phone/phone reception or after AEP working hours when no one is in the office......no need to leave it until you get permission. You must report it ASAP when you have the soonest opportunity to do so. This is in The Wildlife Act and I am Confident that it is accurate. In my district I email the info, recover the roadkill and they contact me with approval when they open the next business day. Other districts may require that you bring the roadkill in for inspection and/or sign paperwork.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
My experience with this issue was cleared up after I sent e-mail to Higher ups,seems front desk staff didn't want to have to keep track of it all,I was contacted by one of the local Officer's and told that it was ok and that I would have to just contact Edmonton office when I picked any up off highway etc and give info on species etc
Good for you for keeping their feet to the fire! I hope that someone got a kick in the butt. Weird that they have you reporting it to Edmonton head office though. I’m in the Edmonton area and I report them to the Stony Plain or Barrhead offices depending on the location. Anyway, good for you for getting it sorted out.

EDIT......the excerpt in my post above even states to report it to the nearest district office.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 AM

Dave and Zackery, you boys need to read the actual laws.

Google Alberta Wildlife Act and the Alberta Wildlife Regulations.

From the Wildlife Act....

Permit to possess found dead wildlife
134 A person who finds dead wildlife may, before obtaining a permit, take the wildlife into possession and retain it, but his right to possess the wildlife under this section ends as soon as it becomes reasonably possible for him to apply for a permit to possess found dead wildlife.

Do I need to say more?

This should also suffice to show the rest of your speculation is off the mark.
I'm still snotty, , please read the laws before continuing with misinforming fellow trappers.

Good job PCP,

This shows that the local office had NO Authority to practice occultism.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Dave and Zackery, you boys need to read the actual laws.

Google Alberta Wildlife Act and the Alberta Wildlife Regulations.

From the Wildlife Act....

Permit to possess found dead wildlife
134 A person who finds dead wildlife may, before obtaining a permit, take the wildlife into possession and retain it, but his right to possess the wildlife under this section ends as soon as it becomes reasonably possible for him to apply for a permit to possess found dead wildlife.

Do I need to say more?

This should also suffice to show the rest of your speculation is off the mark.
I'm still snotty, , please read the laws before continuing with misinforming fellow trappers.

Good job PCP,

This shows that the local office had NO Authority to practice occultism.
No speculation at all on my part. Read the regulation as you present it! Picking up dead wildlife does not constitute "possession". Only final approval from the crown does. Possession is final, not pending approval.

So yes: you do have some explaining to do.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Walking Buffalo......Are you on some sort of medication?

You have NO legal right to keep found dead wildlife. F&W decides if you can keep it......Period.

Quote:
If you have found a road-killed animal and would like to salvage the meat, contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office prior to taking such wildlife into your possession.

Explain the circumstances and where the carcass was found, keeping in mind that approvals to salvage meat are given on a case-by-case basis.

A Fish and Wildlife officer will advise you whether further investigation or inspection of the carcass will be required.
The procedure that you may follow when salvaging roadkill is as I explained.

Quote:
For others......If you find a roadkill or other found dead wildlife that you want to salvage you may do so without prior approval IF you have no phone/phone reception or after AEP working hours when no one is in the office......no need to leave it until you get permission. You must report it ASAP when you have the soonest opportunity to do so. This is in The Wildlife Act and I am Confident that it is accurate. In my district I email the info, recover the roadkill and they contact me with approval when they open the next business day. Other districts may require that you bring the roadkill in for inspection and/or sign paperwork.
This stuff is common dog to many of us Trappers as we actually deal with it all the time and have real life experience with it. Reading regs is great but a better teacher would be for you to go out and salvage a roadkill on your own so you experience firsthand what the procedure is. From you north to Legal and west of hwy 2 is the Stony Plain District.