Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Default can i have a beer on my 12' boat?

anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM

no drinking in boat
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Sure, they are $187 each or $115 during happy hour (if the CO is happy).

Ask me how I know

Geez, 2 lousy beer for a day or fishing.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
no drinking in boat
Unless your boat looks like this..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM

What about house boating??

If you aren't the driver, I know that people do drink on the boat while it is moving.

So is this a special circumstance?

I am just curious, as I will be house boating later this year and a dry boat would really suck.

jacobin
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Take water or a diet pop
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Take water or a diet pop
Or leave it back at the camper.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM

There is a time and a place for everything.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Boat must have facilities and sleeping area. That is why it is allowed on houseboat.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Default boooo

i guess ill have a secret compartment....he he....
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Its still drinking and driving even though your not in your car. There needs to be way more enforcement out on the water for this type of stuff.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Its still drinking and driving even though your not in your car. There needs to be way more enforcement out on the water for this type of stuff.
x2, people would pay attention if they started taking boats from people.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Take water or a diet pop
Diet pop? Is that code for Coors Light (training beer)?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 PM

No it's not allowed!
Yes it sucks that you can't even have one or two brew while enjoying the day but the problem is that many people can't stop and get carried away plus isnt water and boating dangerous enough?

You can have booze on a boat that has sleeping quarters and an anchor but that is on the speculation that you are going to anchor and sleep it off.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Banned

some things dont mix. too many people die every year crossing alcohol and water. im not against drinking, but do it safely.....a boat isnt a safe place.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Unless your boat looks like this..

sonny i don't remember giving you permission to post a pic. of my canoe. if you look close you'll see me on the bridge deck in my red kimono.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Sure you can have a beer on your 12 ft alluminum boat. Just make sure your parked in your garage at home getting ready for the trip tomorrow. No drinking allowed on a boat.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Diet pop? Is that code for Coors Light (training beer)?
what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

MDG, or Moosehead.....or nuthin' !
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

MDG, or Moosehead.....or nuthin' !
Bud? Good lord no!

I like Moosehead, not such a fan of MGD though.

The Saskatchewan in me prefers Pil.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM

You need sleeping quarters, a head, and cooking facilities. Anyone can drink onboard while underway, you don't need to be at anchor, the captain may not drink while the vessel is underway.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks
Maybe you need to look at the stats on drownings among recreational boaters re. alcohol use...........

Canadian Red Cross shows that in 23% of drownings victims were over the limit, 9% were below legal limit but had been drinking and another 7% were suspected to have been drinking. So, almost 40% of drownings in recreational water-craft had been drinking!!!

drinking and boating is no different than drinking and driving, it leads to more risk taking, reaction times are slower and it is just plain stupid, when you are endangering the lives of others as well as your own.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 AM

i would be lying if i said i wouldnt pack a few cold beers on the boat if it was legal to do so....but i wouldnt pack enough to get drunk.

drunken fools ruined that for those of us who just want to have one or two while we enjoy a day on the water

oh well.....they taste that much better around the fire with some crispy fried walleye fillets
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM

also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I've always wondered this as well.

I thought it was a hard-and-fast rule, no alcohol on board at all. I've never had beer on board but I've always wondered why my passengers couldn't enjoy a few cold ones while we're under way? My boat has a head, cuddy cabin to sleep, and a BBQ on board, so I would imagine we're fine.

While I would never boat and drink I don't see why everyone else can't have a beer or two?

Does anyone know the actual regs? I can't seem to get a consistent answer.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Just clarify, when people say its the same as drinking and driving, that's not metaphorical, its actually the law. You can be charged with operating a motor vehical over the legal limit and if convicted it will reflect on you drivers record and insurance premiums, not to mention the possibility of getting your drivers license suspended. People generally don't care about there personal safety...the wallet however is a different story..
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
I've always wondered this as well.

I thought it was a hard-and-fast rule, no alcohol on board at all. I've never had beer on board but I've always wondered why my passengers couldn't enjoy a few cold ones while we're under way? My boat has a head, cuddy cabin to sleep, and a BBQ on board, so I would imagine we're fine.

While I would never boat and drink I don't see why everyone else can't have a beer or two?

Does anyone know the actual regs? I can't seem to get a consistent answer.
I can only quote the rcmp as they have checked me many times. My passengers were drinking in plain view. His explanation was, it is your home while on the water. As long as the driver is sober and not drinking, it is all good. As for your BBQ, you might be borderline as they told me you need permanent mounted cooking appliances, such as a stove. Now my boat sleeps 5 and has full facilities. It is my floating cabin
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM

i think the official law states" grow a set and try not to get caught"
section 2 of the law states"don't get stupid"
and section 3 states " if you cant handle your liquer leave it on shore"
and final section states "don't get the driver too drunk"
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
I can only quote the rcmp as they have checked me many times. My passengers were drinking in plain view. His explanation was, it is your home while on the water. As long as the driver is sober and not drinking, it is all good. As for your BBQ, you might be borderline as they told me you need permanent mounted cooking appliances, such as a stove. Now my boat sleeps 5 and has full facilities. It is my floating cabin
Your right with everything you said, But i was told by an officer that you need amooring point (a marina) this topic has came up lots in the meadow lake provincial park, a ton of people went out and bought new pontoon boats with bathrooms and the wardens said that no boat can be on the water with booze cause there is no mooring point, It is classed as a marina he says, not sure if this is 100% true but its their lives in risk. I dont take booze in my boat, i still remember my dads best friend that fell out of the boat taking a leak and then drowned.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way
WHAT?! can't drink on shore either?! WTF?!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208prov View Post
Your right with everything you said, But i was told by an officer that you need amooring point (a marina) this topic has came up lots in the meadow lake provincial park, a ton of people went out and bought new pontoon boats with bathrooms and the wardens said that no boat can be on the water with booze cause there is no mooring point, It is classed as a marina he says, not sure if this is 100% true but its their lives in risk. I dont take booze in my boat, i still remember my dads best friend that fell out of the boat taking a leak and then drowned.
Not doubting what you were told, just doesn't add up. Houseboats find a beach and it's all good. I go up the lake, anchor in a little bay, and it's all good. It sounds like you were chatting with a park warden, I wouldn't put too much into that. I have had many conversations with them, they seem to think they know every rule in the book, from fishing regs to how to build a rocket but when you show them otherwise, usually they say, oh they must have changed that...lol...Just from my own personal interactions with them.
Normally I don't have booze in the boat except if we are doing a 2 or 3 day adventure up the lake, or take some friends out for an evening cruise.