Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 PM

Default Sorry end to a great last day fishing

Today my girlfriend and I went fishing to Touchwood lake near Lac La Biche, was a bit slow but managed to catch one keeper jack fish of 73cm. When we finished loading the boat we decided to clean the fish at the cleaning station in the camp ground. Upon finishing cleaning the fish a parks officer came and measured the skeleton of the fish confirming it was legal size and checked our licenses, then we headed for our truck to head home.

This is where the day went south.

Once we got to our truck and were just about ready to leave, the parks officer ran over from the cleaning station and asked where we were going, I honestly told him we were heading back to town. He then goes on to explain that it is against the regulations to clean a fish at anywhere but your primary residence and then transport it. I then asked how is that against regulation when he had already measured and confirmed my fish's species and size. He then asked me for my drivers license and explained he would go to his truck and see what his options were, taking the fillets of the jack with him. He then proceeded to measure and confiscate the fillets (writing me a receipt) and a ticket for $172 for "Posses game fish other than at permanent residence so that species cannot be readily identified".

Now, I'm not a poacher, I wasn't trying to hide anything, was open and honest with the officer the entire time, and to my credit I wasn't going to completely clean the fish until the officer showed up at the cleaning station.

The biggest shame is that the fish is now going to go to waste, which is what the parks and fish/game officers should be concerned with. The fish's life is lost but the parks officer got $172 and a ticket dispensed on his record. Good job officer Jordan Baier no.7377 you made a big difference today. It may be in the regulations not to clean and transport a fish, but when the fish has been confirmed legal prior to transport how is that an offense....
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 AM

that guy is an ***hole, you should've asked to speak to his manager for taking your money AND your fish, and confront those guys. A tip is that leave a bit of skin of the fillet for id and just peel it right off before it goes on the frying pan, this will save you a lot.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:01 AM

Sorry that is not a fun end to a fishing trip. Does seem like tough love and a little strange but he probably thought you were going to a campsite to eat the fish. He was ticketing you for a different thing than the size and species of the fish that was legally taken. You were ticketed for illegal transport of game fish clearly stated in regulations. If CO'S aren't there to enforce the rules what would you like them to do? If a fish has a size restriction on it just gut and gill, then clean it when you get home. Do it legally and you'd have your fish and money. I don't see how this is the conservation officers fault. Fellow sportsman should not defend illegal activity. The co is there to protect our resource for our future enjoyment. Just doing their job.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 AM

I call BS. If what you are saying is true and that he already identified and measured the fish before giving you the ticket that says the fish is unidentifiable, it's not right. Sure CO's have a job to do and I thank them for what they do every time I run into them, but that's not right.

If you were stopped by a different CO after the fact and the fish was unidentifiable, then yes your guilty. But by the same CO... Total Dick move.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 AM

You could of rolled into one the camp stalls and got a fire going and cooked it up on a stick. Would of saved you a fine. Officer should of at least gave you that option.

Last edited by pickrel pat; 09-14-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 AM

The problem lies in the time between the lake and home. If you happened to run into a checkstop in your travels, how would you comply with the regulations?
Gotta keep the fish intact until your home. Gut it, scale it, take the gills out, but it has to be measurable until your home.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Sorry that is not a fun end to a fishing trip. Does seem like tough love and a little strange but he probably thought you were going to a campsite to eat the fish. He was ticketing you for a different thing than the size and species of the fish that was legally taken. You were ticketed for illegal transport of game fish clearly stated in regulations. If CO'S aren't there to enforce the rules what would you like them to do? If a fish has a size restriction on it just gut and gill, then clean it when you get home. Do it legally and you'd have your fish and money. I don't see how this is the conservation officers fault. Fellow sportsman should not defend illegal activity. The co is there to protect our resource for our future enjoyment. Just doing their job.
X2
Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 AM

Strange for sure...

If you can only clean a fish at your primary residence then why have a cleaning station?

There are regs which pertain to the transportation of game fish caught and cleaned. I believe you need a 1 inch x 1 inch patch of skin on the fillet to identify the species.

The officer can also look and measure the fillet to get a good idea about the fish length. If you are a hack at filleting.. You are better to do it at home.

This is a strange situation.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
The problem lies in the time between the lake and home. If you happened to run into a checkstop in your travels, how would you comply with the regulations?
Gotta keep the fish intact until your home. Gut it, scale it, take the gills out, but it has to be measurable until your home.
X2

Rules are rules. The regs are specific to the transport of fish, if you followed them, you wouldn't be upset right now and could have saved yourself some $.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:04 AM

I feel for you. I know if that were me in that situation I would likely be angry too and eventually chalk it up to just "damn!". Maybe think of it as the overall cost of doing fishing...

Kind of on a off topic a bit but I read the regs again after reading this. The term "permanent residence" bothers me. So what about cabins (rec properties)? Technically those that cleaning legal fish back at his/her cabin are in violation too.

Seems to be so many holes in this part of the regs anyways I think a reasonable CO can make a judgement call and let it be. Afterall, this fish was clearly legal.

Quote:
Cleaning and Transporting Fish

Fish caught in Alberta:

Fish cleaned for storage at other than your permanent residence, or for transport to your permanent residence must not be skinned, cut or packed in a manner that:
• the species cannot be identified,
• the number of fish cannot be determined, and
•the total length of every fish subject to a size limit cannot be determined

2 pieces of fish of 1 species are considered to be 1 fish.

Tips:
• Carry a cooler and ice for storing whole fish for transport to your permanent residence.
• Leave the head, tail and skin attached to fish subject to size limits for accurate length measurements. Internal organs and gills can be removed to preserve quality.
• Fish that are not subject to size limits may be filleted, but enough skin should be left on each fillet for species identification purposes.
• Never transport fish in a solid frozen block.

REMEMBER: When cleaning fish away from your permanent residence, DO NOT REMOVE evidence of species and, if size limits apply, evidence of length as described above, unless the fish are to be consumed immediately.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 AM

The regs are pretty clear on this. You were cleaning the fish to go home so you have to follow the rules pertaining to transporting fish. The CO probably thought you were going to your campsite and when you told him you were going home you were in violation. There was no longer anyway to verify size or species.
As stated if you were stopped in a roadside check there was no way to prove
It's size or species. It's unfortunate that he ticketed you but if you were stopped and stated that the officer at the lake confirmed it was a legal fish and allowed you to transport it that way he would be in trouble.
It's sad how many people think they are exempt from the rules. It's easy to follow the rules and you would have no problems. It is our responsibility as fishermen to know and follow the regs for whatever water body we fish.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Strange for sure...

If you can only clean a fish at your primary residence then why have a cleaning station?

There are regs which pertain to the transportation of game fish caught and cleaned. I believe you need a 1 inch x 1 inch patch of skin on the fillet to identify the species.

The officer can also look and measure the fillet to get a good idea about the fish length. If you are a hack at filleting.. You are better to do it at home.

This is a strange situation.
You can take the guts out of the fish and still leave it "whole" until you get home, then you have a bit less mess.

I think the inchxinch patch only applies to a fillet than exceeds the overall minimum length....that way if the fillet is bigger than the minimum fish length you are still legal under ALL the rules.

LC
Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM

I was not trying to be exempt from the rules, I was mistaken that since the parks officer had already verified the species and size of the fish that it shouldn't matter if I was eating it at the campsite or taking it home. The fact that i was checked and then basically ran down is more of a **** off than anything but I know for next time. I also took home the skeleton and skin of the jack in case I was going to fight the ticket to verify the species and size but it's more hassle and money than to just pay the ticket.

Yes it is a weird rule for "permanent residence", any one camping could be in offense if that the case, they don't live at the camp site year round.

Ps the fillets were 40cm and thick lol
Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM

pretty amazing ;Then why have cleaning stn's at our lakes.?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 AM

those fillets would've been delicious. But do try leave abit of skin on it you dont need to do anything at home, just peel it off and get fryin'
Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Ron:

I thought you told me you were going to stay over night and fish today because of such a nice weekend.

What happened after your mom called you about your dad being really sick and to get home as soon as possible?

If you had eaten those fillets on site you would have not broken the law. You told me you were spending the night at TW. If you had thrown those fillets in the bush before going that emergency back in in town you would have been charged with wasting wildlife.

Something is wrong here.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:16 AM

AlwAys leave some skin on for identicaion
Old 09-14-2014, 11:34 AM

I know who that officer is and he's a total douche. We've got a couple officer in the LLB area that are beyond words.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 AM

Where in the regs does it say you can transport fish if you leave a patch of skin on the fillet?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 PM

The OP stated he was cleaning the fish to take home. Sounds like this may be something he has done before, fillet fish to take home. Then you have to leave them whole, less guts and gills so length and species can be verified. Plainly stated in regs.
Cleaning stations are at lakes so people at campground don't throw the guts in the bushes. There are a lot of bears out there people!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:51 PM

I normally take fish home whole and clean them there, mostly because there are normally more than one (girlfriends/sons/my own limit etc). We only had the one fish this time and figured it would be simpler to clean it at the cleaning station that was available. We even washed the counter and the station cleaning brush, leave is as we found it.

We had stayed at the campground earlier in the summer and cleaned fish at the station, was checked by a parks officer then aswell. How is it unlawful to eat a verified legal fish at home a half hour drive from the lake in comparison to the campsite?

Stubblejumper, the fish was verified legal, that's where the issue is, the only thing I did wrong was not eat the fish at the campground. It's a ridiculous rule in the regulations. What if you went camping at the lake and brought frozen filleted fish from home to have a fish fry, now is that an offense too? Sounds like it would be...

Any way, I've vented enough on here about this, good luck fishing and hunting this fall and winter fellas.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post
Where in the regs does it say you can transport fish if you leave a patch of skin on the fillet?
Cleaning and Transporting Fish
Fish caught in Alberta:
Fish cleaned for storage at other than your permanent residence, or
for transport to your permanent residence must not be skinned, cut or
packed in a manner that:

the species cannot be identified,

the number of fish cannot be determined, and

the total length of every fish subject to a size limit cannot be determined.

2 pieces of fish of 1 species are considered to be 1 fish.

Tips:

Carry a cooler and ice for storing whole fish for transport to your
permanent residence.

Leave the head, tail and skin attached to fish subject to size limits for
accurate length measurements. Internal organs and gills can be removed
to preserve quality.

Fish that are not subject to size limits may be filleted, but enough skin
must be left on each fillet for species identification purposes.

Never transport fish in a solid frozen block.
REMEMBER: When cleaning fish away from your permanent
residence, DO
NOT
REMOVE evidence of species and, if size limits
apply, evidence of length as described above, unless the fish are to be
consumed immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_A_Ron View Post
Stubblejumper, the fish was verified legal, that's where the issue is, the only thing I did wrong was not eat the fish at the campground. It's a ridiculous rule in the regulations. What if you went camping at the lake and brought frozen filleted fish from home to have a fish fry, now is that an offense too? Sounds like it would be...
It would be illegal to bring home frozen filleted fish unless you have a small patch of skin attached and there is no size limits in effect. They verified the fish was legal at the time but what if they had a check stop 10 minutes down the road...how is he to know that fish is a pike/walleye/bull trout etc.

You broke the law, plain and simple. This rule is in effect in pretty much every other place I have fished. How else would they know what you are keeping???

Last edited by Kyle; 09-14-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
pretty amazing ;Then why have cleaning stn's at our lakes.?
To remove the guts and gills for any species subject to minimum size or slot limit.

OR

to clean your fish, as desired, for species not subject to size regulations.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

They verified the fish was legal at the time but what if they had a check stop 10 minutes down the road...how is he to know that fish is a pike/walleye/bull trout etc.

You broke the law, plain and simple. This rule is in effect in pretty much every other place I have fished. How else would they know what you are keeping???
What if Kyle? What if didn't happen, what did happen was the fish was verified legal at the time it was cleaned, that's how they knew what I was keeping. I didn't break the law on purpose to knowingly defraud the parks officer on what I was keeping, I tried to clean a fish at the lake so when I got home all I had to do was put the boat away and cook the fish. If what you proposed had happened and I was pulled over 10 minutes down the road I wouldn't be arguing or even mad about this, it's the fact the the fish was verified and I was let to go along my way then ran down to be given a ticket.

It's situations like this that gives parks and fish/game officers a bad name. I follow the rules keeping what I'm allowed when I'm allowed where im allowed and I get fined and my catch confiscated due to a rediculous situation. I still had access to the skeleton and skin of the fish lol.

It's a poor situation that could have been handled differently.

Have a good one.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
You could of rolled into one the camp stalls and got a fire going and cooked it up on a stick. Would of saved you a fine. Officer should of at least gave you that option.
X100

Not saying that it's not illegal. But you hadn't left the campground yet? Maybe talk to a very far away person on the matter. Pretty sure I couldn't get a fine for transporting from the picnic table to the frying pan. Also saying you were going to transport a,fish illegally is different than transporting a fish illegally.

Kind of a crappy deal. You won't get much sympathy for admitting that you were going to break the law. And on top of that incorrectly interpret the law.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_A_Ron View Post
What if Kyle? What if didn't happen, what did happen was the fish was verified legal at the time it was cleaned, that's how they knew what I was keeping. I didn't break the law on purpose to knowingly defraud the parks officer on what I was keeping, I tried to clean a fish at the lake so when I got home all I had to do was put the boat away and cook the fish. If what you proposed had happened and I was pulled over 10 minutes down the road I wouldn't be arguing or even mad about this, it's the fact the the fish was verified and I was let to go along my way then ran down to be given a ticket.

It's situations like this that gives parks and fish/game officers a bad name. I follow the rules keeping what I'm allowed when I'm allowed where im allowed and I get fined and my catch confiscated due to a rediculous situation. I still had access to the skeleton and skin of the fish lol.

It's a poor situation that could have been handled differently.

Have a good one.
So if the officer had followed you out of the park and ticketed you you would have been ok with it?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchy View Post
So if the officer had followed you out of the park and ticketed you you would have been ok with it?
That would be skuzzy on officers part. Officer should of informed him it was illegal during their first talk. Then he could of cooked it up right there or take the fine. Kinda seems like officer was just waiting for him to leave to nail him. On a side note, know the regs better and this stuff shouldn't happen.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 PM

Skuzzy yes, upholding the law yes as well.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:04 PM

OP,

You did not transport fish illegally. You never transported the fish.

You were in your truck about to leave when John.Q law got excited and wrote you a ticket for something that never factually happened..

"If" you were on the highway and were pulled over with out species identification or adequate proof of size limit then you may be pooched.

The officer gave you a ticket for something that has not happened.

Challenge the ticket and make an example of this LEO.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:17 PM

You can't be charged for the suspicion of an act...can you?

LC