Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Question Elk Calls

Just asking on what type, style or brand name some of the elk hunters are using these days. Heading out next week with a bull and cow tag. Good luck to the rest of the boys that are heading out.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM

How'd you manage two tags?!

I'm sure lots of people will shut this down, but I really like the Primo's Super Pack. Primo's isn't a high-end brand but I personally like that bugle and find it easy to use.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM

I like bugling bull reeds and tubes.

The primos hoochie mama is pretty top notch sound for a hand call.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM

I'm VERY new to elk calling so take this with a huge grain of salt. I have the Berry Thunder bugle as I found it to be one of the easier ones to operate. I think if you're going out in a week, if you're "call challenged" like me you probably should of been practicing long before now. If you haven't been practising much I this bugle will still give you a good chance of producing some "elk like" sounds. Who knows, maybe you will pick it up quick, I just know that I didn't.

For cow calls I have a Primos "green one", it's closed reed but I can't remember the name. I tried a flex tone cow call and it sounded really good but crapped out after 5 minutes so it's going back to Cabellas. I've heard to take a couple cow calls because sometimes they won't respond to a particular brand or type for what ever reason. Probably over calling or just doesn't sound right to those elk.

Good luck with your hunt, I hope this little bit of knowledge comes in useful and post some pics when you get your elk.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM

What Mike W said.
I own about 4 - 5 bugles, from power bugle, thunder bugle, mossback and a few others.
I find that no bugle with an internal diaphragm is as versatile as the regular mouth reed and tube.
But you gotta practice.
So you're heading out in a week, and asking now ? Better get on it if you choose the reed.
And my cow calls are the mouth reed, squeeze me, maka da bulls, and mama together.
A combo of a few of these usually.

TBark
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM

I tried a mouth reed and hated it. Now use a Primos Super Pack, it sounds ok and is easier to use, but not as good as the old call my dad used to have 20+ years ago. That was a hard plastic ridged tube, about 1/2" in diameter, maybe 12" long coiled in a loop. It made a great bugle and was super easy to use, but I've never seen one in the stores.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM

hey jpohlic try using 1/2" or so flexible heater hose dose the same thing my dad made them for me and they worked great.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I tried a mouth reed and hated it. Now use a Primos Super Pack, it sounds ok and is easier to use, but not as good as the old call my dad used to have 20+ years ago. That was a hard plastic ridged tube, about 1/2" in diameter, maybe 12" long coiled in a loop. It made a great bugle and was super easy to use, but I've never seen one in the stores.
JP, elk seem to have smartened up in the last 20 (or 53) years, in regards to coming to just any call!
In my early teens all I used was a foot & a half of "wild carrot" stalk, you know, bean shooters. Leave the closed nodule on one end and blow like heck ACROSS the open, clean-cut end.

In the late 70's while trapping in late october, I thought that I had heard a short bugle. For the heck of it I blew across the bbl of my 22/20ga.
That bull carried on for over 2 dozen exchanges & ended up 30 paces from me!

Now I must rely on several Cow-Talk calls and a Power bugle, used sparingly.

Incidently, your dads call may have been in the vicinity of 22" long in order to hit the right tone.