Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Default Wild Pig Sightings

Driving West on the 616 today, West of Breton, saw what looked like three large black sow's with a bunch of piglets.

Didn't have my gun. They were in a hay field, at 1600.

No time for pictures, was on my way to a rig.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Driving West on the 616 today, West of Breton, saw what looked like three large black sow's with a bunch of piglets.

Didn't have my gun. They were in a hay field, at 1600.

No time for pictures, was on my way to a rig.
I have been looking for a place to go pig hunting (boar). I have also heard mayerthorpe area had some too, but I havent gotten much more info than that.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 AM

I saw one once....

LC
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 AM

I spotted about 10 of them in the Dixonville area earlier this summer. No pics, no gun.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Saw three, killed three.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I saw one once....

LC
So what did you do with it? Am I right in recalling that it's a pest so you don't have to do anything in particular with it, but did you harvest the meat, etc.? Doesn't seem the most appealing dish to me off-hand, but....
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Cool Hat!

I guess it is true that we have wild pigs in Alberta. Are these a native species? Are they escaped from "Hunt farms"? These are very destructive animals, and as some members has said, are they edible, will hunters shoot them? Do they have natural enemies.

This is the biggest fear of the hunt farms as far as I'm concerned, plus any diseases they introduce!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I guess it is true that we have wild pigs in Alberta. Are these a native species? Are they escaped from "Hunt farms"? These are very destructive animals, and as some members has said, are they edible, will hunters shoot them? Do they have natural enemies.

This is the biggest fear of the hunt farms as far as I'm concerned, plus any diseases they introduce!
They're escapees I believe, not native.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM

I would eat them for sure! Probably try to hit them in the head so you still get the rib meat... but then you dont get the fancy skull. I would be willing to bet they taste a lot like pork.

If you are having trouble with these guys, give me a shout!

~Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Not a native species of Alberta!!!!!! Some got free from wild boar farmers years ago and were able to breed and survive in the wild. They are excellent eating(yes I've shot and eaten them) better than domestic. Cook as you would any pork or bear to aviod trichinosis.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So what did you do with it? Am I right in recalling that it's a pest so you don't have to do anything in particular with it, but did you harvest the meat, etc.? Doesn't seem the most appealing dish to me off-hand, but....
We butchered it into chops and roasts. Took the hams and bacon cuts to a local butcher for curing and smoking and ate it. Was a bit strong flavoured but quite tasty.

LC
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
I have been looking for a place to go pig hunting (boar). I have also heard mayerthorpe area had some too, but I havent gotten much more info than that.
You probably won't......the guys who know where they are keep tight lipped.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM

"ssssuuuuuuuuuuuEEEEEEEEEE PIG"
Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
I spotted about 10 of them in the Dixonville area earlier this summer. No pics, no gun.
interesting , I know a landowner there hopefully he knows where to look . Would love some more wild boar
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

They are an introduced PEST, escaped from both "shooting" preserves and game farms.

The expanding establishment of Feral Boar populations in Alberta are a revealing example of the AB gov's Agriculture department's management of Alternative Livestock.

These destructive animals were allowed to be farmed here despite mountains of information concerning the probablilty of escaped/released Wild Boars developing breeding populations, and the huge environmental damage that they will inflict on the Native ecosystem.

So what is AB Agriculture doing about the problem....? Nothing but paperwork! Agriculture should be spending the resources needed to erradicate these pigs, by all legal means possible. We need compulsary reporting of pigs by landowners and the public, and AG should send up a helicopter upon recieving reports to kill every last one.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 10-13-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Nice piggies

Great shots of some of the meanest lil buggers out there. Would rather run into a bear than one of these lil porkers. Hunting around clive this year hope we run into a couple. As long as we see them first. Got one out of there last year.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM

If you check with the county of Lac St Anne they may be able to tell you who is having problems with wild pigs. There was even a bounty issued at one time if you brought in the ears and I've recently heard the bounty i still in place. A landowners son shot one and it was supposed to weigh close to 200lbs. I've seen the damage these critters cause to cereal crops so with a little leg work through the county office they can tell you who to contact.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Al View Post
If you check with the county of Lac St Anne they may be able to tell you who is having problems with wild pigs. There was even a bounty issued at one time if you brought in the ears and I've recently heard the bounty i still in place. A landowners son shot one and it was supposed to weigh close to 200lbs. I've seen the damage these critters cause to cereal crops so with a little leg work through the county office they can tell you who to contact.
The one in my pic is right around the 300lb mark.

LC
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 AM

it is some of the best meat ive ever had. really
Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The one in my pic is right around the 300lb mark.

LC
How long is that tusk?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Theyre literally every where now. Ive seen them in the red deer river valley in the drumheller area, lloydminster area, Breton area, Valleyview area and peace river area, those are areas Ive seen them, but if you string together all of the reports from people, youd find they are everywhere. Theyre everywhere in sask to, right from the Leader area to Moose Mountain to NE Sask.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Its sad and maddening when you think about it.

Lots of previous threads on this... but good to bring up again now and then.

You can watch how dangerous and destructive these critters are on the Discovery Channel, and now it we know that they are established in Sask.... and probably are or are soon to be established in Alberta....

Hunters here have a HUGE opportunity to do something about it yet as a past post said 'most stay tight lipped about it'. That's a lost opportunity big time for all of us. These aren't pheasants!!! We DON'T want them established here and here we are the hunting community openly recognising that these critters are bad.... bud I'm not gonna tell anyone where they are.

We have a report a griz thread. We need a report a pig thread, get a contact number (not necessarily the landowner to prevent him from being swamped by calls AGFA could get people to do this) who'll put a couple of responsible hunter onto the problem.... and WOW! Good press for the hunting community! No?

We should get our stuff together and help out land owners. Good idea no? .....Or should we let gov't elect a committee to bureaucrat the snot out of the problem and no pigs get shot??.......... Or should we all just keep our cards close to our chest??

again... real opportunity here.

They do taste super darned good! I've had a few now.... yum.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

About 6 years ago me and another guy shot 4 way north near deadwood. Heard there was some roaming the area from the locals but didn't expect to see any. Saw them out in a wheat Feild and got all four, big sow, 2 medium sized sows and a average sized boar. It was alot of fun throwing lead at them buggers.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Lots of previous threads on this... but good to bring up again now and then.

You can watch how dangerous and destructive these critters are on the Discovery Channel, and now it we know that they are established in Sask.... and probably are or are soon to be established in Alberta....

Hunters here have a HUGE opportunity to do something about it yet as a past post said 'most stay tight lipped about it'. That's a lost opportunity big time for all of us. These aren't pheasants!!! We DON'T want them established here and here we are the hunting community openly recognising that these critters are bad.... bud I'm not gonna tell anyone where they are.

We have a report a griz thread. We need a report a pig thread, get a contact number (not necessarily the landowner to prevent him from being swamped by calls AGFA could get people to do this) who'll put a couple of responsible hunter onto the problem.... and WOW! Good press for the hunting community! No?

We should get our stuff together and help out land owners. Good idea no? .....Or should we let gov't elect a committee to bureaucrat the snot out of the problem and no pigs get shot??.......... Or should we all just keep our cards close to our chest??

again... real opportunity here.

They do taste super darned good! I've had a few now.... yum.

If I spouted off areas where I have leads or have seen them I can kiss all my deer,elk and moose hunting spots good bye. I agree to get rid of them, but there would be people driving through fields, tresspassing, and so on. Most get shot on sight by farmers or outdoorsmen. Simple fact is if you want to kill a boar go out put some leg work in. Their not that easy to find though. I guarantee if I posted some leads online this week end that area would be over run with people.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
How long is that tusk?
Its probably about 4-5 inches long....when I had the skull done up it was placed in with "the beetles", if you look at the pic below all the small nasal bones are still intact....they did a great clean up on it.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Bessiedog! I like your thinking, have you ever shot any?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM

As I mentioned earlier, Alberta Agriculture is reponsible for these escaped Diversified Livestock. As is typical with problems caused to native wildlife and the ecosystem by Game Farming, such as CWD management, Agriculture is quick to pass the buck. This is one reason why I am so opposed to Agriculture taking full control of escaped Farmed Elk and deer. When a bunch of Inbred/Crossbred and possible diseased Diversified Livestock escape, Agriculture has shown that they will do nothing to solve the problem, and OUR WILDLIFE pays the price.

Despite legislation requiring a pro-active effort to eliminate the problem, The Alberta PC government is doing nothing but to pass enforcement on to the counties and make sure the counties have their paperwork in order.

It presently is the Law that Landowners and the Government are required to make efforts to exterminate them, or face charges. I think charges should be laid against Provincial Government managers and MInisters for not dealing with the problem as is required by the Pest Act.

Just wait a bit, I promise you that in a few years we'll be bitching because Feral pigs are impacting the number of deer/elk and wild birds....

Agricultural Pest Act
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779751327

Quote:
Duty of individual

5(2) person in control of livestock shall take active measures to
(a) prevent the establishment of pests on or in the land,
property or livestock unless otherwise authorized by the
Minister,

(b) control or destroy all pests on or in the land, property or
livestock unless otherwise authorized by the Minister, and

(c) destroy any crop, vegetation or other matter that
contributes or may contribute to the maintenance or
spread of a pest on or in the land, property or livestock.
1984 cA-8.1 s5

Duty of local authority

6 A local authority of a municipality shall take active measures
(a) to prevent the establishment of, or
(b) to control or destroy,
pests in the municipality.

Offences and penalties

23 A person who contravenes this Act or the regulations is guilty
of an offence and liable to a fine of not more than $5000 and in
default of payment to a term of imprisonment of not more than 60
days.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:01 PM

If feral hogs were gonna explode anymore in numbers they would have done it by now. We've had them here for years and years. It doesnt seem like the end of the world, they hardly bother anything anymore and stick to useless swamp marsh type land. There all but nocturnal and if one does stick its head out it usually gets shot off. Not to mention there so easy to trap its not even funny, im pretty sure there not gonna ruin our lives. Lets just keep shootin em! Its fun!!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndsmen View Post
If feral hogs were gonna explode anymore in numbers they would have done it by now. We've had them here for years and years. It doesnt seem like the end of the world, they hardly bother anything anymore and stick to useless swamp marsh type land. There all but nocturnal and if one does stick its head out it usually gets shot off. Not to mention there so easy to trap its not even funny, im pretty sure there not gonna ruin our lives. Lets just keep shootin em! Its fun!!
That's what they said down in the states.... Turned out to be completely wrong....

Trap, and keep on shooting them.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndsmen View Post
They have exploded, well maybe not totally exploded but they have definetly increased greatly in numbers and there is very few farmers raising wild boar now for them to escape from. 10 or so years ago, there was very few areas (maybe 1 or 2, Mayerthorpe comes to mind and no where else) that had "wild" boars running around, now they're found pretty well throughout the province, its only going to get worse. They are a destructive creature that become very, very hard to get rid of once they get established and feel a little heat from hunter/trappers/whoever.