Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Suggestions/Recommendations on a tonneau cover

I've sold my quad so am thinking of putting a tonneau cover on my '15 Toyota Tundra double cab (6.5' bed with rails). I've never owned one, but like the idea of it over a hard top canopy mostly for ease of removal, cost, etc...

What are some good ones? Pros and cons of one style over another (ie: tri-fold vs. 1 pc. w/hydraulic lift vs. soft roll up style)?

Seems to be a lot of different ones out there, and a wide price range on them. I'm thinking the clamp on might be the way to go so I don't have to drill my bed or rail. Looking for any suggestions or recommendations on what to look for and what to avoid, also what I can expect to pay approximately.

Thanks in advance,
ILBR
Old 02-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Extang solid fold is the only way to go
Old 02-03-2018, 06:01 AM

Truxedo Roll up. Very durable, rolls all the the way to the front of the box. Doesn’t block the back window when opened. I tried the roll up from Costco and was dissatisfied. Pay a little more for the Truxedo, $600ish.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 AM

I wouldn't recommend the Toyota branded tri-fold that the dealers push.. It's a leaky piece of junk. I wish I'd made them take it off my 2016 as part of the deal.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Extang. Can take the whole thing off in 5 min
Old 02-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Love my soft top roll up. Second truck with one on it. No worries about freezing closed in the winter after washing. Can be removed or reinstalled in 10 mins or less if needed. Can also use the whole bed of the truck when needed, just roll it up.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Tuxedo roll up is what I went with and im happy.
I ordered it online and installed it myself in about 20 minutes very easy. Google tonneau covers canada and a few sites come up with free shipping.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM

I put a Bakflip F1 on my F150, The F1 for a 6.5' box is a 4 pc fold up, It covers the back window when folded all the way up but that is no concern with the side mirrors, The top is made from Fiberglass reinforced polymer. I went with this one thinking it might stand up against hail. Not cheap but Tough and Sharp looking, This one can take a load of 400 lbs.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 AM

DIY Truck outfitters, I think is a AO member. Bought a couple of Truxedo's from him. Rock is in your area as well.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Banned

I like the tri fold type covers and have always avoided any rigid types. I guess the only negative I have found with a tri fold is blocking the view through your back window when opened. I keep my generator in the back of my truck when camping and the tri fold has the added feature of folding like a tent to block my Gen from the elements but still allows good air circulation.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 AM

Extang solid fold
Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Bak revolver 2.

https://bakindustries.com/p-30253-re...-overview.html

A little pricey but worth it.

Locks the entire length of the box. Rolls up and doesn't cover your back window. Strong enough that I can put my pontoon boat on top of it.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Extant Trifold on my Tacoma, quick to install and remove, watertight and provides flexibility of folding for certain cargo sizes.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:38 AM

I've had a Roll n Lock on my '13 Ram since new. It is fairly well built. Still opens and closes easily. But they were designed in Florida and freeze up easily in the winter. Wd40 helps with that. The hardware is junk however and I currently am using c-clamps to keep it closed.

It will be up for sale as soon as I fix it. Good top, but unless you spend the winter in a garage I wouldn't get one.

I'll be replacing it with a canopy.

Colin
Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Had a roll-n-lock, liked it a lot, I also had some freezing up issues in the winter but only when it was really cold but other than that it was perfect. Current truck has a trifold cover, not unhappy with it but I personally wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who actually uses all of their bed space often. Good if you use your truck as a grocery getter. Never liked how it blocks the entire rear window.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think the folding panels is probably the way I’ll end up going after doing some more research. I don’t need my full bed very often so having it up against the back window will be a rare occurrence I can live with. Have been reading up on the various BAKFlip and Extang models, thanks for the tips. Want something that can withstand hail without looking like the skin of a golf ball.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I put a Bakflip F1 on my F150, The F1 for a 6.5' box is a 4 pc fold up, It covers the back window when folded all the way up but that is no concern with the side mirrors, The top is made from Fiberglass reinforced polymer. I went with this one thinking it might stand up against hail. Not cheap but Tough and Sharp looking, This one can take a load of 400 lbs.
I liked the Bakflip on my F150 as well. However, it did not stand up to hail and was replaced by my insurance. Hailstorms come in different intensity. These ones were like marbles
Old 02-03-2018, 03:47 PM

I have the diamond back its not cheap but it is nice the wife even likes it. I have put quads on it instead of hauling a trailer. next truck I get is getting another one for sure. if it is wet and then it freezes at night it will freeze closed.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Truxedo roll up for me. I i have the "truxport" model, and i would definitely recommend it.