Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Default Farm plates?

Did the qualifications change for farm vehicles?
Seen a Mercedes car with farm plates the other day which struck me as a little odd because when I registered my trucks as farm vehicles they said that crew cab trucks might be a little iffy.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 AM

Not sure how they got farm plates on a car unless they were possibly stolen. A person can get farm plates on an SUV but not a van which makes me shake me head.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 AM

I was at the CO-OP Cardlock station and I saw a diesel pusher motorhome with farm plates. How is that even possible?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM

I've seen farm plates on motorhomes before....they use them to take meals to the field.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Not sure how they got farm plates on a car unless they were possibly stolen. A person can get farm plates on an SUV but not a van which makes me shake me head.
Seen hutterites with farm plates on their vans. Wondering if there is a rule of thumb to what is a farm vehicle or does whoever works at the registry counter decide?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Seen hutterites with farm plates on their vans. Wondering if there is a rule of thumb to what is a farm vehicle or does whoever works at the registry counter decide?
No problem with running purple in a full size van, even for personal use. Motor home should not be running purple.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/general/progserv.nsf/all/pgmsrv9/$file/affb-factsheet-june2015.pdf?OpenElement

Read it ^^^^^^^^^^

For some reason the link doesn’t want to work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4688DD94-B41C-4161-B06E-97DA811AAE7D.jpg (38.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 790DF750-7A41-43AC-A932-FE633C53D35F.jpg (43.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM

Back in 1987, I applied for farm plates as we had 50 acres of which 28 were in hay. The registry said that to have farm plates your annual farm income must exceed an OAS annual income. Since we were sharecropping we did not exceed that amount.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:28 PM

Ignorant perhaps, but why is a farm vehicle an issue?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Ignorant perhaps, but why is a farm vehicle an issue?
Because they pay less for fuel an anyone else.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 PM

Small benefit to feeding the world eh bud......get over it.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default the red queen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardtin View Post
Because they pay less for fuel an anyone else.
eliminated this under her reign.

it wasnt a big diff in $ to begin with .... purple fuel was only taxed a few less pennys per litre

TBD

PS ... i'm sure they recouped most of the crumbs given to us peasants as it gave the RC's the opportunity to generate some real cash when they'd raid the high school parking lots and sample everyones tank. Those were HEFTY fines !

Last edited by TBD; 01-31-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Back in 1987, I applied for farm plates as we had 50 acres of which 28 were in hay. The registry said that to have farm plates your annual farm income must exceed an OAS annual income. Since we were sharecropping we did not exceed that amount.
Farm turnover has to be above $10k PA.
When I got my farm plates a few years back, they specified it has to be a truck.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Small benefit to feeding the world eh bud......get over it.
Feeding the world.... Lol Seriously, I've heard that a time or two, reality is they do their part as does the rest of society and they don't do it for charity, it's a business. Just don't forget machinery makers, gas and oil drillers, home builders, doctors, and the list goes on....
Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Feeding the world.... Lol Seriously, I've heard that a time or two, reality is they do their part as does the rest of society and they don't do it for charity, it's a business. Just don't forget machinery makers, gas and oil drillers, home builders, doctors, and the list goes on....
Well stated. As a farmer myself I got tired of hearing that feeding the world thing. It's a way of life and a business. If farmers really cared about the food they were supplying to the world they would not be lacing it many times a year with Round-up. In my area it's a status symbol to have the wife driving around with the fanciest SUV money can buy and farm plates.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Farm turnover has to be above $10k PA.
When I got my farm plates a few years back, they specified it has to be a truck.
Same as me. That why I was surprised to see farm plates on a car.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
In my area it's a status symbol to have the wife driving around with the fanciest SUV money can buy and farm plates.
I don't see a problem with that. I'm sure the wife of a successful city businessman isn't running errands with a beat up old Honda civic so why should the wife of a successful farmer be relegated to a beat up old pickup truck? You did say that farming was a business, right?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Banned

Well this is gonna rustle a lot of jimmies.... I got farm plates on my truck yet I don't live on the farm!! But I have farm income. I've said it time and time again on here. On this forum there folks who flat out hate farmers. Probably been denied hunting access too much.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Banned

I registered my car and truck at the same time I got my farm plate, the lady told me "too bad your cadillac wasn't an SUV, you could get a farm plate for it"

Yep, too bad my CTSV wasn't an SUV or I would have farm plates on that too. lol
Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Well this is gonna rustle a lot of jimmies.... I got farm plates on my truck yet I don't live on the farm!! But I have farm income. I've said it time and time again on here. On this forum there folks who flat out hate farmers. Probably been denied hunting access too much.
Don't matter to much to me. I run farm plates on the farm pickup and run commercial plates on my business truck. I'm unsure how much money if any is saved by running farm plates. I was just surpŕised to see a Mercedes sedan classified as a farm vehicle. For that matter a sedan of any kind running farm plates. Creative accounting perhaps to justify a car as a farm vehicle?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Don't matter to much to me. I run farm plates on the farm pickup and run commercial plates on my business truck. I'm unsure how much money if any is saved by running farm plates. I was just surpŕised to see a Mercedes sedan classified as a farm vehicle. For that matter a sedan of any kind running farm plates. Creative accounting perhaps to justify a car as a farm vehicle?
Probably the wife of the farm running to the bank etc. I think they look at the type of vehicle more than the brand of vehicle. I don't know for sure. Maybe creative accounting, Chrysler C63AMG anyone? lol I mean Chrysler does own MB.... lol
Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 AM

Default Farm plates?

I thought the only real benefit was to be able to use marked gas in a vehicle with the farm designation. It’s reduces or eliminates some gas taxes.

Not sure when the last enforcement action where they were checking the gas in a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I thought the only real benefit was to be able to use marked gas in a vehicle with the farm designation. It’s reduces or eliminates some gas taxes.

Not sure when the last enforcement action where they were checking the gas in a vehicle.

Last time I seen them checking for marked fuel was about 20+ years ago down the 2 lakes road. Maybe they check at the scales when the big blitzes are on.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the fellow registering didn't enunciate "sedan" properly and the clerk heard "SUV". Lots of Mercedes SUV's wearing farm plates legally according to the "farm plate" rules. No sedans, no mini-vans, no motorhomes/RV's.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Probably the wife of the farm running to the bank etc. I think they look at the type of vehicle more than the brand of vehicle. I don't know for sure. Maybe creative accounting, Chrysler C63AMG anyone? lol I mean Chrysler does own MB.... lol

Its small not a big $ savings to begin with .... purple fuel is only taxed less pennys per litre if i could get back a few $ in returns i would too!
im not getting the tighty whitey's in a twist over it lmao. Damn government takes enough already and they will keep on taking!

Last edited by 243 wild cat; 02-01-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Since the rules were changed to allow farmers and family to run a vehicle with farm plates to earn off farm income there has been very little enforcement action - because there is very little to enforce. No more "check stops" at the hospital or school staff parking lots in small towns.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 wild cat View Post

Its small not a big $ savings to begin with .... purple fuel is only taxed less pennys per litre if i could get back a few $ in returns i would too!
im not getting the tighty whitey's in a not over it lmao. Damn government takes enough already and they will keep on taking!
I suspect that the savings is more than the $0.13/litre tax. Consider that marked fuel is a direct farm expense (reducing income tax payable) and clear gas is not on most farm books.
But the rules of the gov't allow it, so why would a farmer not use it?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 AM

use mArked Fuel And/or FArm plAtes
For eligible FArm, personAl And other uses
• Farm machinery used in agricultural production • Farm trucks used to transport the farmer’s
own production or supplies
• Farm trucks used by the farmer or the farmer’s dependents for personal use, including transportation to and from off-farm employment
• Farm machinery used for eligible custom work on farm land (excluding land clearing)

Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM

do not use mArked Fuel And/or FArm plAtes For ineligible uses
• Machinery or trucks used in off-farm business operations
• Transport of any farm products or other materials not
owned by the farmer who owns the truck
• Cars, minivans, motor homes or licensed recreational vehicles (including motorcycles or motorboats)
• Any vehicle owned by an employee of a farmer
• Farm trucks owned by a farm corporation, but used by
shareholders or employees for personal use
• Farm trucks used in any way to carry out business for an off-farm employer
• Service vehicles or equipment (for example, mobile seed cleaning plants, implement repair vehicles, etc.)
• Operation of any non-farming business (even if the owners are eligible farmers)
• Rodeo activities are considered a non-farming activity and the use of farm fuel is strictly prohibited

Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM

The above 2 posted from the Govt website on the use of marked fuel.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 wild cat View Post

im not getting the tighty whitey's in a not over it lmao. Damn government takes enough already and they will keep on taking!
Farmers can write off fuel....