Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Keep Records of Your Oil Changes Folks!

I started a thread a few weeks back about my wife's 2013 Honda CRV. All the check engine lights come on and there is a loud grinding noise upon startup, particularly when cold. After a trip to an independent to diagnose the problem, I end up at the stealership to have them fix it, as I realize there is one month and 2000 km left on powertrain warranty which I had initially thought was expired. Bonus.

They acknowledge the problem. Go into engine to replace the VTC actuator, whatever that is, and see the timing chain is stretched, which admittedly was one of the possibilities for the code it was throwing. I was warned they would try and deny it and blame on improper oil changes. Sure enough this is exactly what Honda Canada did. After the first oil change which ran me $111 at Mr Lube I started doing them myself, then later at my school which has an automotives program. I never kept any receipts. So dig into school invoice files, and credit card files. What saved my bacon was that I bought my oil at Canadian Tire using My Canadian Tire Mastercard which itemizes exactly what you buy at their store. Honda couldn't deny that I bought the right oil and filter because it was in black and white. If I bought it at any other store I would have been hooped.

Lesson learned. Keep an oil change/maintenance file with receipts or you may be screwed. I fluked out, but it would have run me well over $2 grand if I didn't produce those receipts.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I started a thread a few weeks back about my wife's 2013 Honda CRV. All the check engine lights come on and there is a loud grinding noise upon startup, particularly when cold. After a trip to an independent to diagnose the problem, I end up at the stealership to have them fix it, as I realize there is one month and 2000 km left on powertrain warranty which I had initially thought was expired. Bonus.

They acknowledge the problem. Go into engine to replace the VTC actuator, whatever that is, and see the timing chain is stretched, which admittedly was one of the possibilities for the code it was throwing. I was warned they would try and deny it and blame on improper oil changes. Sure enough this is exactly what Honda Canada did. After the first oil change which ran me $111 at Mr Lube I started doing them myself, then later at my school which has an automotives program. I never kept any receipts. So dig into school invoice files, and credit card files. What saved my bacon was that I bought my oil at Canadian Tire using My Canadian Tire Mastercard which itemizes exactly what you buy at their store. Honda couldn't deny that I bought the right oil and filter because it was in black and white. If I bought it at any other store I would have been hooped.

Lesson learned. Keep an oil change/maintenance file with receipts or you may be screwed. I fluked out, but it would have run me well over $2 grand if I didn't produce those receipts.
I'm trying to get past the $111 oil change at MR Lube.

While I do my own oil changes, $69 to have it done at the dealership. All things considered, if I add my time, it's cheaper for them to do it.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 AM

SNS, typical dealer ship trying to always get the customer to pay $$ rather than Honda, which manufactured engine with faulty parts. Though on us farmer types that buy oil in 5 gallon pails and use on a number of vehicles/tractors, ATV's etc. Only common de-nominater is the type of oil filter.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'm trying to get past the $111 oil change at MR Lube.

While I do my own oil changes, $69 to have it done at the dealership. All things considered, if I add my time, it's cheaper for them to do it.
It is with your time for sure, but I actually don't mind doing them myself, as the wife thinks I am looking after her.

I work a long ways from the dealership, and don't have flexibility that way.

Live and learn.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 AM

I pay $50 to $60 For the dealership to provide a filter, change the oil with my AMS oil, and dispose of the old oil. We even take advantage of dealer promotions as low as $39 including synthetic oil, now and then. I see this as no at well spent, as the dealer keeps records of all work, and I never have to worry about this type of thing.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM

It’s been 6 years since having a vehicle with a warranty and I do the oil changes for our vehicles. I plan on getting a new van for work this year and the one I’m looking at has maintenance included in the purchase for the first few years. If I do any oil changes I’ll not only keep the receipts for the oil and filter, I may even take video of the process including a walk over to show both the odometer and VIN in one take
Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Same here, both of my vehicles go to the dealership for oil change and with a synthetic oil I pay around $90. And don’t have to get dirty. And I have time to look after my wife “different way”, lol!!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Ah, dealerships and their "oily handcuffs"... Can't turn a bolt or screw on a car for fear they'll void the warranty.

And the oil changes aren't cheap.

Glad you were able to find your receipts, SNS2!

On a side note, how's the A/C compressor doing on that CRV? I hear that's a weak point on those vehicles... My sister-in-law had that issue with hers.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Ah, dealerships and their "oily handcuffs"... Can't turn a bolt or screw on a car for fear they'll void the warranty.

And the oil changes aren't cheap.

Glad you were able to find your receipts, SNS2!

On a side note, how's the A/C compressor doing on that CRV? I hear that's a weak point on those vehicles... My sister-in-law had that issue with hers.
Wife drives it, so I can't really say with certainty.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Went through something similar with my F150. Truck has been serviced at the dealer I had bought it from since new. Truck has been of warranty since last summer and they picked up over half of the bill for the engine repair.
Even though I’m a mechanic for what the dealer charges for services I can’t be bothered doing them.
Now if I lived in the sticks then I would do them myself and keep service records of it.
$111 for a Mr Lube service is extortion.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Go into engine to replace the VTC actuator, thats a common problem with honda
Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:

We started having A/C compressor issues on our 2010 CRV ..... so I sold it to my sister who lives in Las Vegas LOL.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
We started having A/C compressor issues on our 2010 CRV ..... so I sold it to my sister who lives in Las Vegas LOL.
That's just mean!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
That's just mean!
LOL full disclosure. I sold it to her with lots left on her end to get it fixed.

Plus I drive it when we go there and I NEED AC
Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Same here, both of my vehicles go to the dealership for oil change and with a synthetic oil I pay around $90. And don’t have to get dirty. And I have time to look after my wife “different way”, lol!!
Yup...I used to do my own oil changes. My local mechanic charges me $54 for an oil and filter change...plus checks all the level, tops up if needed...tire pressure, etc.
The time it would take me to do this is worth way more the $54.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yup...I used to do my own oil changes. My local mechanic charges me $54 for an oil and filter change...plus checks all the level, tops up if needed...tire pressure, etc.
The time it would take me to do this is worth way more the $54.
Geeze I change my own truck oil it takes me less then 20 minutes and costs around 25$ for oil and factory filter. Worth my time easily.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Apparently, there isn't an "APP" that will change your oil and maintain a vehicle. What has this world come to????
Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Gone Hunting

)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Apparently, there isn't an "APP" that will change your oil and maintain a vehicle. What has this world come to????
Old 02-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Geeze I change my own truck oil it takes me less then 20 minutes and costs around 25$ for oil and factory filter. Worth my time easily.
Exactly. These guys spend more time driving to the dealership than I take to service my vehicles.

“It’s not worth my time”??? I service my vehicle in about 20 minutes. You guys pay $50-$90 and drive to the dealership, check in with the service advisor, wait for your car, pay with your interac card, drive home.

Before you pull into the shop to deal with the service advisor I’m in my La-Z-Boy watching the Roughriders with money in my jeans.

I will give you guys caveats though:
1. I’m a field mechanic and can easily dispose of the oil and filters. That would be the biggest pain for Joe Blow.
2. I shop for filters and oil once a year when on sale. I have enough inventory to service everything I own for probably a year and a half. I wouldn’t be saving time if I had to run to Canadian tire everytime a service came due.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Exactly. These guys spend more time driving to the dealership than I take to service my vehicles.

“It’s not worth my time”??? I service my vehicle in about 20 minutes. You guys pay $50-$90 and drive to the dealership, check in with the service advisor, wait for your car, pay with your interac card, drive home.

Before you pull into the shop to deal with the service advisor I’m in my La-Z-Boy watching the Roughriders with money in my jeans.

1. I’m a field mechanic and can easily dispose of the oil and filters. That would be the biggest pain for Joe Blow.
2. I shop for filters and oil once a year when on sale. I have enough inventory to service everything I own for probably a year and a half. I wouldn’t be saving time if I had to run to Canadian tire everytime a service came due.

I think in time alone the dealer/lube would be rough, driving and waiting would make it not worth it for me, nevermind paying 50-90$ on top of time spent.

Most vehicles should make it well past warranty with regular service and average driving.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Default stealership

we are a certified shop with at the time 3 licensed techs .
had a new service van 2017 with 20k on with burnt out bulb so
brought it in to do oil change and change burnt out day time running light
found pigtail for bulb melted , could not get pigtail after market called dealership and found we had to purchase whole wiring harness to repair. So i made call to say no use us doing it then we will send it for warranty.service tech is off for a week so drop off in am . In afternoon call and enquire about van, oh we didn't get to it will in am. Got a little busy and early afternoon remembered to call
after a phone juggle to a couple of people finally was told its ready. found 2 guys able to go pickup and before they left service advisor called and said it wasn't done and because we took the bulb out it wasn't covered under warranty and we would have to pay for head light and wiring harness.long story short i told her it wasn't satisfactory and would pickup van.they charged us $110 to look at a problem we diagnosed and told them what was wrong.The biggest problem is how most dealerships renumerate there staff by commission and are not kept an eye on. the lost a $2000 to $3000 /month acc.as another dealership is glad to deliver to us.
the morale of the story is if you don't get satisfaction go to another dealer they will be glad to help you.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:15 PM

It takes me 1/5hr to 45 mins to change my oil. I pay $90 for 3 gallons of synthetic oil and a oil filter.

I pay $150-200 for a oil change at a dealer ship/ oil change place.

I find seals leaking, lines leaking when I do it myself.

Dealership does not see fluid leaks, nor check anything else. All they do is change the oil.
Quick lube places find some leaks, but try to up sell based on service recommendations that may or may not be OEM spec.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

^^ Yup

When Canadian Tire has their sale on oil I stock up. Also take my filters and used oil to them on the same trip. Takes 5 minutes at Auto Value to get the filters I like. 5 more minutes to get the beer. Feel much better doing it myself.

Plus, my wife's 2006 CRV has THE DUMBEST oil fill cap. The port is right on top of the block, and the cap is shielded and collects all kinds of dust and grime. You have to wipe all around as best you can and remove the cap carefully so any of that residual crap doesn't fall in. I highly doubt that this happens 100% of the time at Mr Lube/Dealership/etc.

Last edited by Soulcousin; 02-02-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 PM

I haven't taken any of our vehicles to a quick lube place in years. I've heard way too many horror stories in the news, online and from people I know personally.
It takes me about 10 minutes to dive the car in and drain the oil and remove the filter. I let it drain for a bit while I do something else and then I put a new filter on, put the plug back on (not over torqued like most lube places) and fill with oil.
I use synthetic in two of our cars and Walmart oil in my daily (Walmart oil is Penzoil). It's a lot cheaper than taking them to a quick lube and a whole lot cheaper than taking them to a dealership(unless you have it covered).
You're not even safe taking your car to a dealership for oil changes, the actual licensed mechanics don't do the oil changes.
That way I know my oil was actually properly changed and check everything else while I'm at it.
Having said that, If you already have a place that has been doing oil changes for you and you trust them, keep going to them. Good paces are hard to find and don't go somewhere else because you think you're getting a "deal".
Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM

I guess im lucky. I do mine at work while getting paid and then go dump the oil in our sump. Not a bad deal.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM

I have worked in dealerships for over 30 years. Keep a log book or your oil changes, milliage and date, that is all you will need
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 AM

I've delt with Honda Canada warranty. It's as bad or worse than Ford, Dodge and all the rest. The mechanics are terrible especially at trouble shooting. I guess that's what you get with an army of TFW.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 AM

I only take my 2016 hellcat to dodge dealer to get oil change because I want to make sure there is no problem with warranty.
Having said that when at dodge I go down under my car and watch while they do the oil change, every time I have had to show them wear to drain the oil cooler,
One time they seemed to be having trouble getting the cooler plug out, then I looked closer at what they were doing , 2 of them tried and were turning the wrong way till I told them to try turning the other way.
They are no way professional trained.
When the warranty is up , I will be doing my own work on it like my other 3 trucks that I own.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 AM

I used to do my own oil changes, money in my pocket, my time or labour is free, who cares how long it takes. Now got new truck so off to stealer ship for now.
But my son used to work for a company who delivered oil to companies who do oil changes. So in summer my other vehicles I used 10w30 and winter 5w30. I can remember one time going through minit lube or whatever in summer & asked for 10w30. He keep trying to get me to choose 5w30, I kept telling him no I want 10w30.
So my point going back to my son, this opened my eyes. He was doing a round on training and they delivery to so & so. This place wants so much 5w30 in this drum & so much 10w30 in other drum. Okay, so go & fill up both drums. Then my son asks this question... is there a switch or something u turned on or off becuz it just looks like u filled up both drums with same oil, was there some magic u did to change 5w30 into 10w30? The guys says don't ask questions, my son had a conscious, he quit. The oil is only 5w30 that is delivered regardless if u asked for 10w30.
I know engines have changed some and more can use 5w30 in summer but I think too prolong engine wear I would still use 10w30 in summer. So just a fyi, I want to
I would not trust this fast lube places anymore especially if I want 10w30.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:10 AM

I do my changes at Jiffy Lube. They aren't cheap at $120 a go but that is also for full synthetic not the cheap crap.

The same oil at Canadian tire would cost me $65... Or if I stocked up on the 5L bottles when it was on sale like now $41 and I would always have a partial jug laying around. I need to first drive to said store and buy the oil, a filter, and not to mention windshield washer fluid. I would have to take the time to do the oil change in my cramped unheated garage and to get the equivalent service I would also have to check my diff fluids, check tire pressures, grease doors, check lights, check air filter etc. Then I would need to find somewhere to dispose of the filter and oil. So all in we are talking $60-80 and at least a couple hours of my time and the inconvenience of it all.

That is why I suck it up and pay the $120 and have my oil done in 15 minutes on my way home from work one day. Money well spent imo and it helps keep a few more guys employed as well.

I keep every receipt. Not because my car has warranty(which it is a long ways out from) but so that I have records if/when I sell it. I also always go to the same shop so if for some reason I ever have an oil related issue I would know the shop responsible and have records stating I have had my changes done there for years. I have been using the same Jiffy Lube for years now and have had probably a dozen changes on my current rav4 alone, they get the job done and don't harass me saying I need to change my air filter, transmission fluid etc every time(I wouldn't return to the places that try and pull that crap).