Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Boating and fishing in Jasper

Reading on the websites, it is very unclear, but from what I could, it says that some lakes you are alowed gas powered boats. None of which are listed.
Can anyone name the lake that have decent fishing and are allowed motor boats?

If there are no good options I will be taking a trip to banff, to fish minnewanka.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Mystery Trout

Hi guys

A few years ago I was on vacation in Alberta. I am from Ontario. Between Banff and Jasper, I stopped on the side of the road and grabbed my fishing rod and walked up beside a little stream a few hundred yards from the road and caught a couple of small trout.

The one trout I caught was silver with a bright red mark that went across the throat. I just assumed it was a Cut Throat Trout because I had never seen one before as we don't have those in Ontario. After looking at pictures of Cut-throats it was a totally different fish.

Does anyone know what I caught??

Gary
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2242 View Post
Hi guys

A few years ago I was on vacation in Alberta. I am from Ontario. Between Banff and Jasper, I stopped on the side of the road and grabbed my fishing rod and walked up beside a little stream a few hundred yards from the road and caught a couple of small trout.

The one trout I caught was silver with a bright red mark that went across the throat. I just assumed it was a Cut Throat Trout because I had never seen one before as we don't have those in Ontario. After looking at pictures of Cut-throats it was a totally different fish.

Gary
Probably still a cutty. Trout from different areas all tend to look different, sometimes ALOT different.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 AM

In regards to the topic all waterbodies in Jasper national park are electric motors only. Last time there was gas powered boats allowed was in the 90's. Although parks Canada(wardens) and maligne boat tours(grandfathered lease agreement) will still use gas powered boats. Not sure about banff, last I heard only minnewanka allowed the usage of gas powered boats.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 AM

No gas motors except Minniwanka and Waterton.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

Gary
Alberta has a ton of differnt strain of cuthroat trout all looking a bit differnt butall have the distint marking under its jaw. It may be a cutbow hybrid.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 AM

i think pyramid allows gas.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Hi guys

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Alberta has a ton of differnt strain of cuthroat trout all looking a bit differnt butall have the distint marking under its jaw. It may be a cutbow hybrid.
Did the fish look like the top fish in the picture posted below? If so, that's probably a cutbow(rainbow cuthroat trout hybrid). I caught that trout out of Kootney lake BC.

KootenayVacn06 092.jpg

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM

In Jasper you cannot use a gas powered Boat period just got off phone

use to be Pyrimad and Talbot.. if you need info on Jasper Lakes ask me .. David
Old 04-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
Did the fish look like the top fish in the picture posted below? If so, that's probably a cutbow(rainbow cuthroat trout hybrid). I caught that trout out of Kootney lake BC.

Attachment 34140
looat the colors on that male eh very ncie trout except you should have caught bigger fish being there from kootany
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
i think pyramid allows gas.
No gas motors except Minniwanka and Waterton.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
looat the colors on that male eh very ncie trout except you should have caught bigger fish being there from kootany
Yeah, for the big trout they were really deep and I didn't have a heavy enough rod for the weight required to get the lure down and I didn't have a downrigger on my 12ft truck topper boat either. I also didn't know what to use for them at the time. I talked to a guide as well that ran the campground I was staying at. He had 5 solid years of experience and he said he even had a hard time getting the big ones to bite.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Sorry to continue to sway from the topic of this thread but this is a Kootenay Lake rainbow:

Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

Gary
Hope you had your parks fishing license. Not to say that you didn't, but just pointing it out for the purposes of this thread that people need to obtain their national parks fishing license before fishing in Jasper, Banff, Kootenay and Yoho national parks. I think they can be purchased at the gates, otherwise check out this webpage for more info:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/v...s_e.asp?park=1
Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Picked up my Jasper license about two hours ago.They no longer sell them at the gate but you can get them at Online sports in town...They didn't have the regs in yet so I'll have to go back later to get them.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Picked up my Jasper license about two hours ago.They no longer sell them at the gate but you can get them at Online sports in town...They didn't have the regs in yet so I'll have to go back later to get them.
They won't have the new regs until middle of May at the earliest based on the last 30 years of when parks annual regs have come out.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Sorry to continue to sway from the topic of this thread but this is a Kootenay Lake rainbow:

Beautiful Grats
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
good to know
Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 PM

wow that Kootenay trout is huge! I have yet to catch any fish on that lake yet!