Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 AM

Default Rigs

So I am starting to use rigs and wondering what your favorite rig is to use to catch anytype of fish. It would also be helpful if you could provide a brief description on how to make.
Thanx
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Hands down Drop shot rig for Finesse fishing . Also cant go wrong with slip bobber and jig head , for Walleye fishing .You cant go wrong with bottom bouncing either , caught my largest Walleye that way 13 + pounder on the red river .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 04-05-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
So I am starting to use rigs and wondering what your favorite rig is to use to catch anytype of fish. It would also be helpful if you could provide a brief description on how to make.
Thanx
easy answer......Lindy Rigs

http://www.ehow.com/how_4577112_lind...e-fishing.html
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM

I'm with BBJ...at least for shore fishing in the river I've become a big fan of the drop shot (or 3 way swivel) rig. It's painfully simple to tie as well.

The big difference is when I tie mine I don't use a 3 way swivel, I just tie my snelled hook on to my main line about 18" up from my weight on the bottom.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Geezle, 3-way and drop shot to me are different rigs. In a drop shot, the bait/lure is on the main line and is typically jigged vertically with a small weight.

Tie a small hook with a polamar knot then 18-24" of tag line to a 3/8 oz weight. Best tipped with a leech or crawler and jigged vertically or cast out and dragged back. Best on hard sandy bottom where the soft meet the hard in transition. It's a finesse style that take a lot of pratice and trial and error.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 AM

And for me...best rig is the slow death rig, modified lindy rigging. A slip weight before the swivel, then 4-6' of leader line to a #12 hook, tipped with leech, minnow or crawler. Pulled real slow, sometime barely moving the boat.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Geezle's rig is the way to go in the river for sure. I'd add that I really like to use a floating jig head especially if I have a little heavier bait.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM

hahahaha..lol...you guys watch too many Bass fishing shows.......Drop shot rigs..lol a name Bubba Bassmaster came up with because pickeral rig was already taken. Its a snell-less PICKERAL RIG!!!!!
p.s. the picture above is a Wolf River rig developed by guys fishing the Detroit river for Walleye
Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 PM

ya I was informed the same thing by my tournament partner Darter. I asked him a few years ago what a drop shop rig was and he told me it was just a modified pickerel rig with a fancy new name given to it by some bass guys. Whatever you want to call it doesn't matter to me but I will be trying it out with colored hooks and a lindy max gap jig below it this year to see if it increases my catch rate at all.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
ya I was informed the same thing by my tournament partner Darter. I asked him a few years ago what a drop shop rig was and he told me it was just a modified pickerel rig with a fancy new name given to it by some bass guys. Whatever you want to call it doesn't matter to me but I will be trying it out with colored hooks and a lindy max gap jig below it this year to see if it increases my catch rate at all.
Walleye guys basically have been using the system for a long time
jig on bottom with a looped tied baitholder about 18in. up
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

a pickrel rig in a large river system...smaller hook on top, larger on the bottom, worm on the top, minnow on the bottom! why? because you never know what species is tuggin on the line... could be chub, burbot, suckers, goldeye, mooneye, pike, walleye, sauger...... yep, my fave is a rig in a large river system!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Default slow death rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
And for me...best rig is the slow death rig, modified lindy rigging. A slip weight before the swivel, then 4-6' of leader line to a #12 hook, tipped with leech, minnow or crawler. Pulled real slow, sometime barely moving the boat.
you guys will have better success with the system mentioned above over not have a sliding sinker. you can modify lindy type rigging with many different options. phelps floaters, lindy floats, spinglow, smaller blades ect. modify your leader length depending on your fishing situation. use both on rivers and lakes from a boat or shore, casting, dragging, still fishing. it has the advantage of letting your quarry take your bait and not feel any resistance. when trolling leave your bail open and hold the line with your index finger. not sure where stang got the term "death rig" most likely a sask. thing, but most definitely a very versatile fishing presentation.

Dace
Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM

everyone has their own definition of finesse fishing....my definition is the lightest most natural presentation possible
Lindy rigs, on a bare lindy sinker- crawler with a puff of air or a leech on a bare uncolored hook
or a
Splitshot rig with the lightest shot possible and still have control
or a
Slip bobber rig with the smallest float and shot combo possible
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Floating jigs are ok to, I often use just bare hook but sometimes add beads, a float in bead, small spin-n-glo, or a minnow float looking thing (not sure what they are called).

Never heard of slow death? I think Chris K taught me that one....
Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Hey Jay is that the kind of rig you use at the river all the time? I am getting kinda tired of using a pickrel rig but when ever I try something else I get frustrated and go back to it. lol something lighter and a little more involved would be fun to try.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Might as well throw this one into the mix also. The kokanee9 rig. A piece of metal coat hanger shaped into a v and attached 20 inches ahead of the bait with a rubber band and loop knot or 3 way swivel. When wife asks where are all the coat hangers going, just make sure you say you don't know.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Might as well throw this one into the mix also. The kokanee9 rig. A piece of metal coat hanger shaped into a v and attached 20 inches ahead of the bait with a rubber band and loop knot or 3 way swivel. When wife asks where are all the coat hangers going, just make sure you say you don't know.
Lots of people mention that, can you draw us a picture?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
ya super common for river fishing. When on the bow in the NW of the city, look up at the power lines and try to count how many of those rigs are snagged up there. Its also my favourite way to fish for whites in the river. but I no longer use coat hooks. Just carry varied size of tear drop weights to match depth and speed of river. still use the rubber band. I still keep a couple pieces of coathanger in my tackle just in-case though
Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM

you guys should try Luhr Jensen's Bouncing Betty for bottom drifting rivers
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
you guys should try Luhr Jensen's Bouncing Betty for bottom drifting rivers
fence staples.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM

After some reaserch the spreader bar rig will probably be my favorite to try for halibut fishing this spring or summer.

April 2011 001.jpg
This is a pic of my home made stainless steel rig.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
After some reaserch the spreader bar rig will probably be my favorite to try for halibut fishing this spring or summer.

J, what the heck did you do to that bottom bouncer!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM

The length of the V depends on the weight needed. 6" min usually depending on the strength of the current. Coat hanger is used because it is harder for it to get stuck in rocks than a small single weight. The hook will be suspended off the bottom and can be raised by using a longer rubber band. Use a weaker rubber band for when you get snagged. The rubber band will break and you only lose the coat hanger, not the whole rig. Loop tied in line or 3 way swivel. With this rig you fish with the current, not still fishing. Cut to the proper size you should feel the coat hanger just barely touching the bottom. Too long and the entire thing drags, too short and it will be suspended somewhere between the surface and bottom as it moves through the water. Cast slightly upstream and the drag on the line is what moves it. Balance the rod on your first finger and you can feel the slightest bite.

I didn't know what to call it so I humorously called it the kokanee9 rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kokanee9rig.jpg (51.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Kokanee9; 04-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
Hey Jay is that the kind of rig you use at the river all the time? I am getting kinda tired of using a pickrel rig but when ever I try something else I get frustrated and go back to it. lol something lighter and a little more involved would be fun to try.
Yep, that's all I do. Learn how to snell your own hooks (very easy) and you'll never have to buy a pickerel rig again

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
J, what the heck did you do to that bottom bouncer!!!
Ha Ha very funny.

I found out on the internet how to make a spreader bar and found some thick stainless 4ft pieces of stainless steel wire and bent them into that shape.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post

Attachment 34218
That looks like that Mason Wire that fishin hole sells . Pretty neat rig . I made one thats about 18 inches long , and put a weight on the bottom and use it on my tip ups but the arm comes out with two octopus hooks to go In the bait . Its pretty sweet actually .
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 AM

Default Kokanee9 rig confused

For the Kokanee9 rig I don't get how the drag takes it downstream. Woulnt it just sink or would it just rub along the bottom making the current take it downstream? Whats the purpos of having a rubber band? What's the purpose of having a swivel there? Would just adding a weight be ok? Sorry if I sound kinda stupid.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
For the Kokanee9 rig I don't get how the drag takes it downstream. Woulnt it just sink or would it just rub along the bottom making the current take it downstream? Whats the purpos of having a rubber band? What's the purpose of having a swivel there? Would just adding a weight be ok? Sorry if I sound kinda stupid.
Hey no problem. Cast out slightly upstream. Reel in any slack in the line as it starts moving downstream. The drag of your line above the rig in the water current will pull it downstream. More drag can be removed or added (to a point) by raising or lowering your rod. Remember to keep the line tight so you can feel the bottom. If you think it is laying down and just dragging along, then cut the V a bit shorter. Ideally the V is standing up as shown in the picture as it moves along the bottom.

The advantage of this over a regular weight is that a weight will slip into a small opening between rocks easily and get snagged. You will lose many weights compared to 1 of these coat hanger V's.

The rubber band is in case you do get snagged. When you are trying to pull it out and cant get it, a very strong pull and the rubber band breaks. Reel in the rest and replace the V and rubber band and your fishing again instead of tying a completely new rig.

The swivel is to replace the loop knot. Use either 1 or the other. A loop knot will work fine in most cases, but if you do get a larger fish you run the risk of the loop knot breaking. A 3 way swivel would take care of that. The loop knot should be fine for any fish under 8-10 lbs though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kokanee9rig.jpg (51.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hey no problem. Cast out slightly upstream. Reel in any slack in the line as it starts moving downstream. The drag of your line above the rig in the water current will pull it downstream. More drag can be removed or added (to a point) by raising or lowering your rod. Remember to keep the line tight so you can feel the bottom. If you think it is laying down and just dragging along, then cut the V a bit shorter. Ideally the V is standing up as shown in the picture as it moves along the bottom.

The advantage of this over a regular weight is that a weight will slip into a small opening between rocks easily and get snagged. You will lose many weights compared to 1 of these coat hanger V's.

The rubber band is in case you do get snagged. When you are trying to pull it out and cant get it, a very strong pull and the rubber band breaks. Reel in the rest and replace the V and rubber band and your fishing again instead of tying a completely new rig.

The swivel is to replace the loop knot. Use either 1 or the other. A loop knot will work fine in most cases, but if you do get a larger fish you run the risk of the loop knot breaking. A 3 way swivel would take care of that. The loop knot should be fine for any fish under 8-10 lbs though.
Yup he's got it right. I use weights because the part of the river I fish with this rig is deeper and fast. it is key to have enough weight to get to the bottom. as your weight / coathanger ticks across the bottom it twitches your flies or whatever your using for hooks. Slack is important. if you have to much your likely to get snagged. not enough and your not getting the bottom. When I do this rig though I have 2/ 3 flies on itand rather than doing a dropper loop for each, i tie directly to the main line.

This is my girlfriends favourite way to fish the bow. feeling all the rocks on the bottom then all of a sudden you feel a headshake. personally I think it just keeps her attention longer because she has to constantly adjust or she will get snagged
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Kokanee9 That's definitely a redneck engineering but hey if it works for you that's all that matters . But I still don't understand the elastic band thing though but that doesn't matter . I know you sometimes see guys using Elastic bands on there sinkers for rocky areas so your just losing the weight and not the entire rig .