Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Default Weedcatcher's pics

Here are the pics of Weedcather's deer autopsy with his daughter holding the deer!
Cat

Cat
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Thanks Cat.

The first autopsy photo is with the shoulder already removed looking at the wound caused by the bullet going into the chest cavity after having struck the rear edge of the shoulder blade. The white in the middle of the hole is lung tissue.
The second autopsy photo is the entrance wound into the shoulder before it was removed.
The last autopsy photo is the exit wound. The bullet was pried from the hole and you can see it resting in the upper left of the photo.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Oddly enough , the claims of .25moa groups at 200 yards reminds me of the person that made the claims of the offhand groups at 500 yards. Other members have mentioned the same.
And odly enough, crickets...
Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
It seems to me that most people that did not appreciate the performance of the SST had pulled them from a dead animal or else are just speculating from something they read. I have yet to hear anyone say that they made a good shot and the animal ran off like nothing happened when using SST. Surely if these are "gernading" on impact like people are claiming more would be written of these failures and/or Hornady would improve the design. They do seem to know a thing or two about bullets.
I helped my neighbour skin out a smaller whitetail spiker he shot Saturday with factory Hornady Superformance in 243, not sure what bullet weight. He said it was 30 yds, hit square in the shoulder blade. DRT.

I think an actual grenade would have done less meat damage though. Bullet exited the far shoulder, the rib cage, the neck and I think just missed a back strap but that could have been bone frag.

Not a shot i would recommend.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bore dinosaur View Post
Buddy dropped a nice cow elk at 80 yards with his 3006 with the 162 sst.. still went 100 yards...shot placement was a little back ,,but piled her up ..
Neighbor blew the shoulder of a w.t.deer at 70 yards....I don't blame him, moster rack..180 for sure ,,he should not have looked at the horns!!! Center of mass @7mmrem. Still went 150 yards

Sst is nothing more the a big game varmint bullet.. rapid expansion ... meat grinder within 150 yards at magnum velocities..
Its a rib to rib bullet for sure if your hunting for the meat..
To each there own thought ***
I prefer a monolithic boolit
Get a strange feeling you used to be here as well. I guess it gets harder to find new IP’s to post from after a while.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Its not the ammo guys. The ammo these days are EXCELLENT! It's whether your barrel likes that type of bullet. Go with the round that your barrel loves the most. My gauge is .25 MOA @ 200 yards or better. But that is just me.

Unless you dont know how to shoot, then its you and not the barrel hehe
Please post a video of a head shot on a grouse at 200yds, I imagine with a bullet your barrel likes it should be a chip shot.

In all seriousness, all my rifles have been able to attain .25 moa at 200yds, even my mini 14, it’s not until the second shot that my groups seem to open up.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I helped my neighbour skin out a smaller whitetail spiker he shot Saturday with factory Hornady Superformance in 243, not sure what bullet weight. He said it was 30 yds, hit square in the shoulder blade. DRT.

I think an actual grenade would have done less meat damage though. Bullet exited the far shoulder, the rib cage, the neck and I think just missed a back strap but that could have been bone frag.

Not a shot i would recommend.
Your neighbor should learn how to shoot or a little about shot placement. The 243 is hardly a shoulder cruncher but from your description the bullet performed admirably in spite of your neighbors incompetence.

When people are describing bullets grenading on the shoulder, they are claiming a lack of penetration which your experience confirms is very unlikely.

What you describe BTW is exactly what I want in a bullet. Devastating damage if placed in the rib cage but hold together enough to destroy a shoulder if for some reason shot placement is poor.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 PM

My daughter hit a WT doe this morning at 30 yards with the 7-08 and 139 gr SST. Perfect bullet placement right behind the shoulder. Hardly any meat lost. Destroyed the lungs. Exit wound was also behind the shoulder.
At our house we have 2 shots and 2 dead deer.
The SST is about perfect for deer from what I can tell.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your neighbor should learn how to shoot or a little about shot placement. The 243 is hardly a shoulder cruncher but from your description the bullet performed admirably in spite of your neighbors incompetence.
No argument here.

Quote:
When people are describing bullets grenading on the shoulder, they are claiming a lack of penetration which your experience confirms is very unlikely.
Yes and no. It was a really small deer, I don't know that a similar result would be seen on a fully grown buck with that hit.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Please post a video of a head shot on a grouse at 200yds, I imagine with a bullet your barrel likes it should be a chip shot.

In all seriousness, all my rifles have been able to attain .25 moa at 200yds, even my mini 14, it’s not until the second shot that my groups seem to open up.
For the record I achieved .25 MOA on a bench with my rifle in a lead sled. Is there any other way to properly sight in your rifle? Shooting a grouse in the head @ 200 yards iImpossible for me which is why i hunt grouse with shotduns lol, A heart shot @ 200 yards is possible, although i personally aim for the mid lung area for the higher % kill. I am not any type of super hero shot, i do consider myself a good shot though.

Lots of great factory ammo out these days all you have to do is to test a bunch of different rounds to see which bullet your barrel loves then go with it, they will all kill. No difference with a pellet rifle which I found out recently.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
For the record I achieved .25 MOA on a bench with my rifle in a lead sled. Is there any other way to properly sight in your rifle? Shooting a grouse in the head @ 200 yards iImpossible for me which is why i hunt grouse with shotduns lol, A heart shot @ 200 yards is possible, although i personally aim for the mid lung area for the higher % kill. I am not any type of super hero shot, i do consider myself a good shot though.

Lots of great factory ammo out these days all you have to do is to test a bunch of different rounds to see which bullet your barrel loves then go with it, they will all kill. No difference with a pellet rifle which I found out recently.

Do you know what a .25MOA group looks like?

Until you post some pics I’m very sceptical.

Lead Sled, eh?!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Banned

I am going hunting this week, I will try to shoot and take some pictures (depending how the hunting goes) and post some pictures but dont expect to see .25 MOA since I will have to set up a target and shoot off the hood of the truck not a bench with a lead sled. I am confident that the groups will be passable under thoes conditions. Like I said I am no hero shooter but I do fill my freezer every year.

With any luck I will post some pictures of an animal as well!

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 11-10-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

If you are capable of achieving .25 moa @ 200yds with every rifle you have then a head shot on a grouse @ 200yds off a pack or tree or fence post is certainly not impossible. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who can carry .25 moa accuracy with every rifle they have is a super hero shot.

I think maybe you got a little carried away with your perceived accuracy, otherwise a 200yd head shot on a grouse wouldn’t be that spectacular of a feat, you should be able to do that with a rifle as loose as .75 moa.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Yes there is another way to sight in a rifle, off of a rest and bags, no lead sled which can effect the point of impact.

Quote:
I am going hunting this week, I will try to shoot and take some pictures (depending how the hunting goes) and post some pictures but dont expect to see .25 MOA since I will have to set up a target and shoot off the hood of the truck not a bench with a lead sled. I am confident that the groups will be passable under thoes conditions. Like I said I am no hero shooter but I do fill my freezer every year.

With any luck I will post some pictures of an animal as well!
Hopefully you realize that shooting off of the hood of your truck is illegal in Alberta?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you are capable of achieving .25 moa @ 200yds with every rifle you have then a head shot on a grouse @ 200yds off a pack or tree or fence post is certainly not impossible. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who can carry .25 moa accuracy with every rifle they have is a super hero shot.

I think maybe you got a little carried away with your perceived accuracy, otherwise a 200yd head shot on a grouse wouldn’t be that spectacular of a feat, you should be able to do that with a rifle as loose as .75 moa.
Did is say I can shoot .25 MOA with every rifle I own? I only own 2 rifles only 1 of them shoots .25 Moa.

Like I said if I get my animal early I will set up a target and take pictures and post them. If I do not get my animal I will be hunting until the last minute of the last day not target shooting to prove something that I really dont need to prove to anyone.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

Target shooting off the hood of a truck is illegal? Had no idea thanks for letting me know appreciated!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Its not the ammo guys. The ammo these days are EXCELLENT! It's whether your barrel likes that type of bullet. Go with the round that your barrel loves the most. My gauge is .25 MOA @ 200 yards or better. But that is just me.

Unless you dont know how to shoot, then its you and not the barrel hehe
This is what you said your benchmark is .
To me that is your standard.
I have no idea why you would put such a highly unattainable goal on a hunting rifle of any kind!
Cat
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Target shooting off the hood of a truck is illegal? Had no idea thanks for letting me know appreciated!
If you take the time to red the Wildlife Act, it is illegal to have a loaded firearm on or in a motor vehicle, or to discharge a weapon from a motor vehicle.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did is say I can shoot .25 MOA with every rifle I own? I only own 2 rifles only 1 of them shoots .25 Moa.

Like I said if I get my animal early I will set up a target and take pictures and post them. If I do not get my animal I will be hunting until the last minute of the last day not target shooting to prove something that I really dont need to prove to anyone.
I assume you are a young man fairly new to Hunting, I don’t expect you to post any pictures or videos. Since you have only mentioned factory ammo I am assuming you don’t reload. I have a few Hunting rifles that some would consider higher end rifles, I also reload so I suspect I put over 1000 rounds down range every year, which is a drop in the bucket compared to guys on this site that do a lot of shooting. When I see a claim of .25 moa accuracy out of a hunting rifle I am both skeptical and curious because accurate hunting rifles are kind of what I like. If you don’t mind, can I ask what kind of rifle you have?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you take the time to red the Wildlife Act, it is illegal to have a loaded forearm on or in a motor vehicle, and to discharge a weapon from a motor vehicle.
I never looked into it because I have never shoot an animal off the hood of my truck or out of my truck. When I sight my rifles like i said i use a bench and led sled. I do not use bags becauce they are not as good as a sled to see the real accuracy. With bags the human eliment comes into play wheresas the sleds or more stable IMO.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
I assume you are a young man fairly new to Hunting, I don’t expect you to post any pictures or videos. Since you have only mentioned factory ammo I am assuming you don’t reload. I have a few Hunting rifles that some would consider higher end rifles, I also reload so I suspect I put over 1000 rounds down range every year, which is a drop in the bucket compared to guys on this site that do a lot of shooting. When I see a claim of .25 moa accuracy out of a hunting rifle I am both skeptical and curious because accurate hunting rifles are kind of what I like. If you don’t mind, can I ask what kind of rifle you have?
My 300 Win Mag is a Browning X-Bolt.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Oh my! Just keeps getting better, LOL!

Lead sled, Browning, factory ammo.

No better way to shoot? LOL! Let me guess, your scope is a Huskemah?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
My 300 Win Mag is a Browning X-Bolt.
Huskemaw scope?

I think I’ll need that video.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I never looked into it because I have never shoot an animal off the hood of my truck or out of my truck. When I sight my rifles like i said i use a bench and led sled. I do not use bags becauce they are not as good as a sled to see the real accuracy. With bags the human eliment comes into play wheresas the sleds or more stable IMO.

Actually bags and a proper rest can provide even better accuracy than a lead sled. Do you think that benchrest shooters use lead sleds to test loads and rifles?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
For the record I achieved .25 MOA on a bench with my rifle in a lead sled. .
Achieved that once with a wore out 30-30 lever action with peep sights. The rest of the groups at 200 yds averaged 12" - 16" out of that 90 year old burned out rust pitted octagon barrel. Was it a 1/4 moa rifle?....not! Shot tons of 1/4 minute groups with many rifles over the years simply because if you shoot enough groups the law of averages allow you to "achieve" a random group like that every once in a while, yet not a single one of those guns are anywhere close to a being a 1/4" moa rifle.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Huskemaw scope?

I think I’ll need that video.
My Scope is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56MM.

Like I said I will post pictures, hopefully with a Big Whitetail or Elk.

Next time I post here it with be an animal or a target, hopefully an animal since target sausages taste like paper lol

Cheers and Happy hunting!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

I bet this guy is 16 or 17
Watches too much wildtv
Thinks he can bs a group of bs’ers
Lol
Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I bet this guy is 16 or 17
Watches too much wildtv
Thinks he can bs a group of bs’ers
Lol
Usually in their 20s, they need cash to afford the rifles, scopes, wind meters, and all of the other tech.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
My Scope is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56MM.
Oh ya, forgot... You sold your Huskemah with your WSM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Too bad Horniday Superperformance factory loads are not available in 303 British. I think the 180 grain SST would perform nicely in this cartridge. As for accuracy, it is a bit of a stretch but my Lee Enfield should be able to achieve 1/0.25 MOA at 100 yards. For sure 1/0.20 MOA.