Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 06:17 PM

Default No trucks in the left lane

Quick little rant

BC is making a law that no commercial trucks in the left lane on the Coquihalla next week. They are considering other highways under this law as well. How long until Alberta comes to there senses and adopts such laws here? It’s crazy when a big truck passes you and there clipping along well over 120 no way they can stop in time if needed. Then there’s the slow drag race between side by side trucks at 5km under for miles backing up traffic. I understand some get paid by the load and time is money. there’s already log books restricting there hours of operation way to many continue to doctor. A professional driver should be able to calculate how long it takes at speed limits and account for it in there trip accordingly. Put them in the left lane and restrict there speed and maybe enforce it. I’m sure it will go a long way to decrease traffic accidents on our major highways. Imo it would be a great move for public safety.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:21 PM

I like how they do it in Oregon. Signs on the interstate that says no trucks or trailers in the left lane unless ACTIVELY passing.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Merge

I sure hope people learn to merge properly before they start making that change in Alberta,as long as drivers slow down or can't believe I'm saying this,or even stop to exit or enter a hwy the no trucks in left lane is a terrible idea,just my .02 cents
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM

I'm no trucker, but that sounds like a terrible law to me. If someone is driving 100 on Hwy 2, they're just suppost to follow them at the same speed?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM

On the 400 hwy's in Ontario, same deal no passing or driving in the far left lane, now you got 2-3-4 right lanes bumper to bumper @105k, Bunch of BS.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Take it one step further - no trucks period Friday night and Sunday Afternoon on highways.

Modified for long weekends.

Why I need to pass loaded truck after loaded truck Friday night before a long weekend in already insane traffic so some guy can have his fridge delivered one day sooner is beyond me.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:45 PM

The coq is a six lane highway at that point.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Even back in the sixties my old dad would say the trucks should have their own road. Now every time I drive 15 km over the speed limit on highway 22 and a semi passes me I know what he was talking about.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Take it one step further - no trucks period Friday night and Sunday Afternoon on highways.

Why I need to pass loaded truck after loaded truck Friday night before a long weekend in already insane traffic so some guy can have his fridge delivered one day sooner is beyond me.
This might be post of the year....
Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:

You have to be kidding me....
Wow...!!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
The coq is a six lane highway at that point.
In the states its the same thing. 3 lanes in the same direction and can have big rigs in the first two. Worked well from the portions of interstate I was on. Drove to Northern California and back towing a travel trailer.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:37 PM

I think half the posters on here suffer from road rage and should not be on the road..... LOL ban trucks how silly, how would I ever get my rifles delivered.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I sure hope people learn to merge properly before they start making that change in Alberta,as long as drivers slow down or can't believe I'm saying this,or even stop to exit or enter a hwy the no trucks in left lane is a terrible idea,just my .02 cents
X2
Old 11-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
This might be post of the year....
And possibly the most entitled comment ever on here.
At one time trucks hauled about 95% of the product that comes into Alberta, this alone should afford them a bit of slack (not on the safety side) but with their ease to get around.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 PM

Looks like a bunch of professional drivers on here.

As has been stated the Coq is a 6 lane highway at that point. So truckers can still pass. Most of the time you’d never find a good trucker in the far left hand lane anyways on that highway.

Also you have to realize these trucks are governed. I’m sure trucker would like to pass guys faster. But the fact is one guy might be governed at 100 km/h and another at 105 km/h. So being governed it can take some time getting past a truck going slightly slower then you.

If we want to do anything to the QE2 we should make it 6 lane all the way to Calgary. Make the far right lane truck use only and they can only move over one lane to pass or for merging vehicles.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-14-2018, 08:29 PM

wow !!! entitled much ????

who knew the roads were built just for you ?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I like how they do it in Oregon. Signs on the interstate that says no trucks or trailers in the left lane unless ACTIVELY passing.
good idea but why stop at trucks ???
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Even back in the sixties my old dad would say the trucks should have their own road. Now every time I drive 15 km over the speed limit on highway 22 and a semi passes me I know what he was talking about.
A semi passed you? never I have ever that happened especially on highway 22
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 PM

My buddy got ran into left side "no post" by a passing semi on the coq a few months ago. Riding the rail at 100 must have been a trip and Almost no driver's side damage. Tire caught and climbed over. He will appreciate this more than most
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:

do you really think that these drivers want to be working friday nights and sundays ? sometimes people do what they have to to feed their families . how would you feel about passenger vehicles staying off the highways on fridays and sundays so these guys can get their jobs done and get home ? i can guaranty that commercial vehicles have paid a lot more road tax than you ever will , but you feel its your highway ?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Going through Spokane, there’s no truck and trailers allowed in left lanes either.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 PM

They should do it in Edmonton yellow head always trucks think their corvettes 😎
Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
They should do it in Edmonton yellow head always trucks think their corvettes 😎
YEP!! Just shake my head on the Yellowhead when you have 3 dump trucks or semi's all abreast just given-er..Yellowhead gives me the shivers every time I need to get on it
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 PM

I'm a mechanic and occasionally step up and take over fueling with a 12000L class 3 rig. The biggest problem I see with trying to enact this is Alberta is teaching people how to f*in merge properly, there is no bloody need for anyone to ever need to slow traffic down to 30-40 in the middle lane on the deerfoot because you can not learn to alternate traffic properly. This myself is why I choose the far left lane whenever I don't need to be taking an exit soon. It takes me longer to brake and accelerate in that monster, I have no desire to have my work day f'ed up further more by 50% of the cities population failing at driver ed/ having no common courtesy. *end rant*

*just how many of you seem to sleep in / be late every bloody day that you're in such a hurry*
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Banned

Better to be 5 minutes late in this World, than to be 5 minutes EARLY in the next World
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
YEP!! Just shake my head on the Yellowhead when you have 3 dump trucks or semi's all abreast just given-er..Yellowhead gives me the shivers every time I need to get on it

Here here. I think they do it on purpose. Should never be in the leftmost lane unless nearing a turnoff. Yhead is a big enough mess without the flotillas of big rigs in every lane.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:

We should just shut down trucking period for 2 weeks. That'll fix em. Lol
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

As has been stated the Coq is a 6 lane highway at that point. So truckers can still pass. Most of the time you’d never find a good trucker in the far left hand lane anyways on that highway.

Also you have to realize these trucks are governed. I’m sure trucker would like to pass guys faster. But the fact is one guy might be governed at 100 km/h and another at 105 km/h. So being governed it can take some time getting past a truck going slightly slower then you.

If we want to do anything to the QE2 we should make it 6 lane all the way to Calgary. Make the far right lane truck use only and they can only move over one lane to pass or for merging vehicles.
Not all trucks are governed. Dont ever think they are.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 PM

I’d could see that applying to city trucks as well.. It’s so awesome to see three semi’s wide sitting at a set of lights on the Yellowhead.. Glad to see they are using their heads!!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

Speed limit on the coke is 120