Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Default A New Canadian who "gets it"!

Letter to the editor in an Ontario regional newspaper:

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Important to cherish, celebrate Canadian values

Markham Economist & Sun

It has become increasingly controversial and subjective to talk or write about Canadian values. The media, the politicians, and everyone else seem to be misguiding the core principles that most newcomers to Canada cherish. I am a former refugee; my family and I landed here on a ministerial permit, cherished the opportunity afforded to us and tried us best to integrate ourselves into the system. It was Canada’s core values which allowed us to find the peace and tranquility we were seeking!

These core values of tolerance, acceptance and fundamental freedoms are the part of Canadian values that we must celebrate without hesitation.

The values which our community championed as a way to rejuvenate our spirits and establish a second chance for ourselves are now being deemed not politically correct.

There are communities in Canada who adequately respect the values and adapt them as integral aspects of their lives. These values are so important that those who continue to migrate to Canada must comply with them or else we will only disturb what seems to be working well.

You can be a NDP, Liberal, Conservative or Green party member, but we all need to celebrate Canadian values and educate our children about them as well. If we don't' cherish our values, we will only go down a reckless path.

Raj Subramaniam
Markham

Wish I could stand up and applaud!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 PM

East Indians have been among the most successful immigrants. Adaptable, don't figure anyone owes them a living and willing to work hard.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2017, 11:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
East Indians have been among the most successful immigrants. Adaptable, don't figure anyone owes them a living and willing to work hard.

Grizz
Actually, most immigrants fit that ^ mold, in one way or another. It's only the very few exceptions that don't. That's how we became one of the most envied nations in the world, mostly of immigrants, 36 million and counting.

The sad part is, some 'entitled' Canadians focus on the few exceptions, and paint most new immigrants with the same negative brush. And sadly, some of those 'entitled' Canadians, lurk here on this forum.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 AM

I am an immigrant (11 years now) and I can tell you that I am really annoyed that everything is changing away from what I learned to love as Canada. The country is very different to what it was when I came over and it's sad. Guess why I came? Right because I wanted to be in Canada and live a Canadian life. Things are changing unfortunately.
I think the biggest problem is that lots of people just "end up" here instead of wanting to come to Canada. I chose Canada because I love it. Huge difference.

Edit: And Canadians are too nice ;-) They always want to please everybody even if they have to bend themselves out of shape for it.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Actually, most immigrants fit that ^ mold, in one way or another. It's only the very few exceptions that don't. That's how we became one of the most envied nations in the world, mostly of immigrants, 36 million and counting.

The sad part is, some 'entitled' Canadians focus on the few exceptions, and paint most new immigrants with the same negative brush. And sadly, some of those 'entitled' Canadians, lurk here on this forum.
Yup the ones that complain the most, get the most for doing nothing were"first" so they say to occupy this land, second is the sit at home, collect poggy eaurapean decendant entitled slob...other are happy for what they got, appreciate what they can get to get off thier butt and work hard and cut out a living here in Canada. Sad but true.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-31-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
This is absolutely true - but the sentiments in the Letter to the Editor aren't stated often enough or loudly enough.

Unfortunately, the actions/thoughts of the exceptions/minority dominate the media, such as the Father, Mother and Son now serving long sentences for the "Honour Killing" of their two daughters and the mother's sister a few years ago and then driving the vehicle into a canal (happened in Ontario) to try to cover up the act. It dominated much of Canada's national media for weeks. The media, of course, looks for and focuses on the bad, because that's what sells their product.

More of such thoughts from the original letter-writer's community, and similar communities, would certainly help to dispel/counter the more common headlines.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 AM

think the biggest problem is that lots of people just "end up" here

Main reason they're here is cause they're trying to get away from a really bad place. Any port in a storm, as they say.

Grizz
Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
think the biggest problem is that lots of people just "end up" here

Main reason they're here is cause they're trying to get away from a really bad place. Any port in a storm, as they say.

Grizz
I didn't mean refugees. I know enough Expats that just "ended up" here. They take what companies offer or what is available for easy access. Canada isn't very hard to get in if you take the time to do the paper work or have money to spend on lawyers doing it for you. I know enough other Europeans that just came over because they wanted something "different".

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 AM

What we have for problems in our area is immigrants that don't want to be part of our community, just use the resources that have been built up by the immigrants of long ago that built up this land. They want to have their own communities and not put any money into the communities that exist. A large number keep saying how inferior Canada is, but they are here because they are allowed to keep their religion which was difficult where they came from. There are the other half that embrace what it means to be Canadian, they are willing to support our local community programs, live amongst the general population, and be productive to the community. I have watched a friend of mine struggle for years now as an immigrant, due to the fact that he wants to be Canadian, but he feels like he is riding a fence. He finds that others of his natural born country do not want to be part of the general community, and he has expressed his concern a few times that he does not understand why there has to be this separation happening. Maybe what is seen in some communities is more bad apples than good. It would be interesting to see what the per capita of immigrants is in each province over the last 10 years to get a better picture of what is going on. I know a few years back the business I worked for was employing a lot of immigrants. Quite a few of them were quite open about the fact that they were only in Manitoba for a few years until they were moving to a province where the rest of their family was living. We struggled with large turnovers in our employees for a number of years. One can understand why these folks were not putting any money into our community when they had no intentions of staying. It seems to me that a lot of folks that live in large cities do not understand, or even care to, what happens in the smaller rural communities.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM

A lot of people just don't want to change. They "end up" here and look at the Western Culture and think it is "wrong". My parents emigrated here in the 70s and they felt completely different. They assimilated quickly, despite not knowing any English. Just as an example of my dad: By the time I was born, my siblings would tell me stories of how my dad knew almost every hockey player, where they played for juniors, how much their salaries were, and their stats.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Most of the people I have meet through my life who immigrated here wanted to be here because of our way of life. They do not want Canada to change.

Who wants Canada to change......... Activisits trying to make a name for themselves. Some home grown local person trying to make a name for themselves. They encourage immigrants to maintain their way of life and not adapt to Canadian Life. they lobby from behind doors saying how bad the people had it in their country so they should be able to live the same way they did back home. Yet the reason many left back home was to get away from the so called life.
Most people who came here like to see Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and so on. Why because it is Canadian.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM

We should not allow dual citizenship/ passports. Any new Canadian should have to make a decision, many just want to park in our cold climate for awhile then go back to their desert country when it is safe.