Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 PM

Default SAKO 85 vs Browning X-Bolt

Okay, I just read the Cooper vs Sako thread and it piqued my interest. But my budget does not reach so high. It does reach high enough for a SAKO 85 Stainless, but not the Cooper.

I am going to buy a 500 Win Mag. I am bouncing back and forth between the Sako 85 and the Browning X-Bolt. I like the Sako but it is $800 more. I can afford it but am I just kidding myself, I do like the X-bolt, it is a very sweet gun, almost as sweet as the Sako.

I would really appreciate any input you guys have, some of you have deep technical knowledge and much more experience than I so I look forward to your comments. I'm leaning towards the Sako but I am looking for solid reasoning to explain the $800 diff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 PM

My brother and I bought new 300wsm this fall.He got his in the sako,and I took the x-bolt.I loved both but I liked the feel of the x-bolt better.Browning has come a long ways with their rifles.After hunting with it this past season I love my browning even more,what a gun.Go with the gun that fits you the best.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Okay, I just read the Cooper vs Sako thread and it piqued my interest. But my budget does not reach so high. It does reach high enough for a SAKO 85 Stainless, but not the Cooper.
You do realize that Wholesale Sports and other shops charge $1800 minimum for a Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless,and you can buy a Cooper for as low as $2000?The Cooper magnums are much more expensive,but the standard chamberings are quite comparable.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 PM

If sako made a rifle and cartridge for 500 win mag, I'd try it in a heart beat. I have 2 ,300 wm sako 85s. I don't think I will ever part with them. Great gun, accurate and silky smooth. The stocks on the synthetics I don't care much for so I ordered a couple of McMillians. Can't comment on the Browning as I never even shot one. I don't think you can beat a sako for the price.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM

My 270 short mag X-bolt is probably one of the most accurate rifles I own. I reload and strive for precision and have other custom guns and believe me this thing is a shooter. Its light and I like the fit so its perfect for me. I have no experience with the Sako so I can't help you there.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Buy the browning, take the $800 you are gonna save and invest it in quality optics.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 AM

x2
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

I have had both and still have the Browning x-bolt. Have it in a 25-06 and out shot the Sako all day long and in my opinion just as good of a hunting rifle for a lot less. And better than a Tikka (had one of them too) also, the only thing I think Browning could upgrade it to a nicer metal clip or a hinged floor plate. There is nothing wrong with the design of there clip but just the material.
Go with the X Bolt save $800 and buy a good scope!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Buy the browning, take the $800 you are gonna save and invest it in quality optics.
x3

tm
Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Another thing is that the browning fed better than the sako. Once you seated bullets out on the sako with the double stack mag they didn't feed as nice as the single stack X-bolt. Sako is still a quality rifle, I was just impressed by the browning for the money and I did not care for browning rifles before the x bolt.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
x4
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM

From my understanding the Sako is a better gun and that is what you're paying for but no one has mentioned the Tikka? Same quality and price as the Browning and that leaves you with money for your optic...
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
If sako made a rifle and cartridge for 500 win mag, I'd try it in a heart beat.
My bad. Yes, I'd have to look hard if they made a 500 WM as well. lol. As you have inferred, I meant 300 win mag.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM

The Sako is tough to beat, one of the main differences would be the action and the controlled round feeding of the Sako if I am not mistaken. If that is not an issue for you go to the Browning or what ever fits you and your budget.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

I got to handle a X-Bolt Stainless synthetic at Bass Pro this weekend. I must say I was not impressed with appearance. It felt very nice in the balance department... the fore stock felt very nice in the hands... but the grip just didnt cut it for me. Each their own . And that Dura Touch finish feels like a band new tire.... that oily rubbery feeling. I wouldn't kick one out of bed for getting crumbs in the sheets.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Stil on the fence

Thanks for all your input. Many of you have brought up points that I have encountered in my exploration too.

- The non-metal clip of the X-Bolt. I must admint I have a preference for the metal clip in the Sako. Edge to Sako
- The inline rotary feed on the X-Bolt. I have heard this, but I haven't had a loaded rifle in my hands to feel if this makes a big difference. It sounds important, but I don't know. Edge to X-Bolt
- Barrel length. I prefer a longer barrel. The Sako 85 has a 24 3/8 barrel while the X-Bolt has a 26". The Sako is a tad shorter, but long enough to satisfy me. edge to X-Bolt.
- Action I find the action on the Sako a tad smoother. Edge to Sako.

Some comments were recommending saving the $800 and putting it toward optics. I already made this move I have purchased the Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 with CDS Duplex. So the optics are set, I just need to determine which rifle to put under them.

My thinking at this point is that either of these rifles is a good choice. Browning is a quality gun, but Sako is a name in rifles that stands above the crowd. I have a yen for a higher quality rifle and I think Sako brings this. Should I pay $800 for this step? The scottish in me says Nay!, but he also says what's wrong with your Rem. 30.06 - it kills everything you shoot at? So I'm not listening to that side of me. He doesn't understand the schwing like the rest of me does.

I have never held a Cooper rifle, I hadn't even heard of them until I read the thread in here. I may have to check them out, but it sounds like a 300 Win Mag will still be beyond my budget.

As I evaluate my own thoughts and reactions I am starting to believe that really I want the Sako, but I am hesitating because of the difference in price. I am at a point in my life where I can afford better, and I typically go there, but I don't want to spend an extra $800 and find out it was a wasted move.

Anyway I appreciate all of your input. If there is any more please share and perhaps I'll get off the fence and make a move.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

i love my sako but my x-bolt is my favorite gun. if i'm going to shoot i deer it just feels right and i trust it.

my sako is more accurate, the xbolt shoots a .6" group the sako shoots a .3" group both with hand loads. but the xbolt feels better and i never miss with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Cabela's Canada has a Kimber on sale in 300 wsm

Kimber Model 8400 Montana Bolt Action Rifle 26" barrel 6lbs 13ozs
$1500.00
The Kimber Model 8400 Montana is absolutely the best hard core hunting rifle available today. Every dimension was minimized to keep the rifle light, sleek and balanced. The Kimber Kevlar/carbon fiber stock with 1” decelerator recoil pad is incredibly light and strong and the sporter contour satin-finished stainless steel barrel is match grade from muzzle to trigger. The barrels are free floated and receivers are both pillar and glass bedded for rock solid stability and accuracy. A Mauser claw extractor, three position wing safety and a match grade trigger that breaks between 3.5-4 lbs. is also standard. Receivers are drilled and tapped for bases.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 AM

I would buy a sako over a browning rifle all day and every day. If you ever want to buy a new trigger for your gun, good luck finding somebody who makes one for your browning. If you want to put a new barrel on your browning, that's a difficult task as well. Browning thread locks their barrels. Even if you manage to get the barrel out without ruining your threads on the action, it's very very hard to find a barrel maker who cuts Browning's threads. Aftermarket stocks are rare as well. This is why you never see gunsmiths build custom guns on Browning A-bolt or X-bolt actions.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM

I have owned several Browning rifles (but not an X-Bolt). All were decent rifles that shot well enough for a hunting rifle. I've also owned well over 150 rifles ( Cooper; Tikka; Steyer; etc.) in the past 35+ years. In my cabinets you won't find a Browning, but a couple Sako's with another being added this weekend. The only draw back to a Sako is the hard recoil pad. It is the only flaw in my opinion, and easy enough to change if the recoil is excessive.

Last edited by leo; 04-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Two different animals. One is fine. One is better. Much better in many ways. Accuracy and money are not the only measure of quality. If it were, we would likely all shoot a Savage Axis.

Last edited by sns2; 04-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 AM

The Sako has a far superior trigger, and uses more metal rather than plastic. Both are good guns, but the Sako is better designed, using superior materials.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Target Trigger

Does your new Bavarian have the target trigger?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Wow, necro thread arrrise and live again lol
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Both good but I like the Sako better.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM

I have a SAKO 75 hunter and couldn't want the 85. The magazine latch and feel is off. If I had to buy another back-up rifle for the 75 I'd consider the x-bolt. Shooting left my options are somewhat limited though if I want the bolt on the "right" side.