Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Default 223 in wmu 248

getting to be to many coyotes running around in the back field....is the 223 legal to shoot these dogs with wmu 248
Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter View Post
getting to be to many coyotes running around in the back field....is the 223 legal to shoot these dogs with wmu 248
.223 is legal for 'yotes or varmints anywhere. Just not for big game....deer, moose, elk, etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 PM

248 is a "no rifle zone", at least the majority of it is, if not all. That would include a .223. Confirm the boundaries very carefully..
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Yeah, no hunting BIG GAME with rifles in that zone, coyotes don't fall under that catagory so it should'nt be an issue. Just be prepared to answer some questions. A couple of falls ago I was hunting geese in 248 in the evening. We shot a few and the shoot was done so I was walking out to my truck when some concerned taxpayer stopped me and informed me that I was hunting in a bow zone and he had reported me to the proper authorities. I laughed and told him I was quite aware where I was hunting however I was hunting geese not big game and it was perfectly legal to do that with the shotgun. It was all good and he left. Was kinda nice to see that some people still take action even though.

ruger300
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Yeah, no hunting BIG GAME with rifles in that zone, coyotes don't fall under that catagory so it should'nt be an issue...

The discharge of firearms in Strathcona County is controlled by the Firearms Control Bylaw and enforced by the RCMP. Firearms may not be used for hunting in the Urban Service Area of Sherwood Park or the Hamlet Policy Area for the rural hamlets:
• Antler Lake
• Ardrossan
• Collingwood Cove
• Half Moon Lake
• Hastings Lake
• Josephburg
• North Cooking Lake
• South Cooking Lake
The use of firearms is restricted within the Special Control Area. In this area, shotguns, archery and muzzle loading rifles may be used to hunt moose and deer during the Strathcona White-tailed Deer Hunt from October 25 to December 7, Monday to Friday only. Outside of the Special Control Area, Urban Service Area and Hamlet Policy Area, Strathcona County does not have bylaws restricting the use of firearms. Provincial and federal regulations do apply in these areas. The County is broken into three different Wildlife Management Units (WMU). Different regulations apply to each one so check regulation details.

A discharge permit may be granted to allow the use of shotguns to control problem wildlife in the Urban Service Area, Hamlet Policy Area and the Special Control Area.

Last edited by depopulator; 12-30-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Guess moosehunter needs to inform where in 248 he's located. All that strathcona bylaws and special control areas are kinda greek to me. Out here on the west side in parkland and lac.ste.anne county there are no such laws that I know about and many a coyote has died in 248 at the hands of landowners with their rifles in the bow zone. But its always best to check out the legalities first, I agree. No sense losing one's hunting privlidge over a mangy coyote.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 AM

thanks for the input guys...I'm out in the north side closer to Bon Accord then the city...maybe I might have to call the RMCP to ask, but in my experence of asking the police or game officer is that I'm asking 1 person that needs to know many laws for many areas and sometimes just don't know the law for my question.....where here I can ask many hunters that don't need to know many laws and maybe a better chance of one knwing the answer to the one I am asking
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM

i live in 248. no big game hunting with a rifle. coyotes game on!