Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Interesting take on medical marijuana in the USA and gun ownership

I thought this was interesting. Medical marijuana leads to gun confiscation. I wonder if this concept will come to Canada too?

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-12-...fiscation.html
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 PM

But yet they don’t seemingly give the same treatment to those on pharmaceutical anti depressants. Think those drugs are a bigger cause of worry than medical marijuana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 AM

I suspect that will get challenged in court fairly quick.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

Check out the cited article on Leafly, they explain the situation better without getting into all the rhetoric that Natural News did. Basically what it comes down to is that on one of the ATF forms you fill out when you buy a firearm there is a checkbox that asks if you are a marijuana user. Remember that regardless of what laws a state has passed the federal government considers marijuana a drug more dangerous than cocaine, prescribed or not. If you didn’t check that so you would be able to get a firearm but later get a MMJ prescription then there’s a problem.

It sounds like there is a unique situation in Hawaii as they require guns to be registered and they are also one of the only states to maintain a list of people
With MMJ prescriptions so there is something to correlate. The big question from my point of view is are they doing this because they think it’s a significant problem or are they doing it because they realized there is a potential liability if they have this information and didn’t use it? Imagine a mass shooting at some point in the future where the perpetrator had a MMJ prescription. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if there was an army of lawyers ready to blame it on the devil weed.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM

The 'Merikans look at non-alcoholic drugs oddly, even when legal. Yet this is no problem.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I thought this was interesting. Medical marijuana leads to gun confiscation. I wonder if this concept will come to Canada too?

Your comment about it coming to Canada makes no sense. In the states it is illegal at the federal level. I'm Canada it will be legal at the federal level. Big difference.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Latest poll out of Orillia Ontario suggest 79% will sell their guns to buy Cheetos.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Banned

First of all, cannabis isn't going to be fully legalized in Canada. There will still be laws and limits surrounding the plant.

Second of all, Trudeau hasn't touched on any of the promises he made over firearms in Canada. Makes me think he's going to wait til after weed is legal, then push for stronger background checks - to include the use of cannabis. Will there be a registration system for buying cannabis from a local store? That's the question of the day. Lots up in the air, I'd be a little concerned personally.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
First of all, cannabis isn't going to be fully legalized in Canada. There will still be laws and limits surrounding the plant.

Second of all, Trudeau hasn't touched on any of the promises he made over firearms in Canada. Makes me think he's going to wait til after weed is legal, then push for stronger background checks - to include the use of cannabis. Will there be a registration system for buying cannabis from a local store? That's the question of the day. Lots up in the air, I'd be a little concerned personally.
Your tin foil hat must be getting a little tight again. They are in direct competition with the black market and they know it. Money talks.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Your tin foil hat must be getting a little tight again. They are in direct competition with the black market and they know it. Money talks.
Oh my, you're funny.

Quick search on google. Black market weed national average in Canada is about $8.30 a gram. Ontario just came out with a possible price of $10 a gram. Who's competing with who now? Dealers tend to give discounts as well - pot stores don't.

Money talks alright, the black market isn't going to dry up and the government is greedy. This will go sideways in a hurry, and dealers will be laughing their collective arses off.

i'll keep my tinfoil thanks.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh my, you're funny.

Quick search on google. Black market weed national average in Canada is about $8.30 a gram. Ontario just came out with a possible price of $10 a gram. Who's competing with who now? Dealers tend to give discounts as well - pot stores don't.

Money talks alright, the black market isn't going to dry up and the government is greedy. This will go sideways in a hurry, and dealers will be laughing their collective arses off.

i'll keep my tinfoil thanks.
That price difference is negligible when convenience is factored in. I can't see them setting up a registry. It would quickly be compared to the long gun registry and would likely end up being political suicide.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Will there be a registration system for buying cannabis from a local store? That's the question of the day. Lots up in the air, I'd be a little concerned personally.
^that's an interesting question for a few reasons. If the answer is "yes", then who has access to it? US customs when you're crossing the border? What about when a person goes to renew their driver's license? Renewing your PAL? What (if any) ramifications?

I think that in spite of the way the laws are about to change, there is still a huge stigma attached to cannabis. The Liberals are drooling over the (estimated) billion dollars of profit in the first year alone, but I've yet to hear anything but criticisms about how they plan to roll this out. Still more questions than answers, but the greed factor seems to be ever-present. I think the LESS it's treated like alcohol and the MORE it's treated like something sketchy..the greater the chances are that those who buy on the "black market" still will. In other words, if loss of personal privacy is part of the cost of "government weed", I don't think sales will be quite what they're hoping for.