Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Sidestab Discontinued

For you Sidestab fans (of which I'm one), I found out yesterday, from a gentleman who works at WSS, that Shimano has discontinued them. If you want one, best to snap them up now.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM

I've seen sidestab mentioned a few times around here, whats the big deal!?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM

The Sidestab is a really good reel, at a really good price point. Value and performance in one package can be pretty hard to come by.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 PM

cool thanks, just wasn't sure what it was all about
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM

They've been discontinued for well over a year now. That's why they are good deals now.

It's a really good reel for the $30-50 range reels and they are very smooth with a desirable rear drag setting.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Well, the WSS gent didn't say when they'd been discontinued! I thought it was a recent thing. Oops.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Is the sidestab an ultralight reel?
I've got a great mitchell avocet II and aabu garcia but need to get one more just for the parents.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:00 PM

The 1000 is the ultralight Sidestab. I had it with me on Friday (heck, I had everything I own with me on Friday ), although I was using the 2500 (should have been using the 1000). I'll definitely use the 1000 next time I go perch fishing/culling at Sundance. The 1000 is good with 2, 4, and 6 lb test.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM

That's unfortunate, I really like mine, and wouldn't mind getting a hold of another one before they're entirely gone

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

My wifes got the sidestab 4000 and it is definatly a great reel for the money. I was fooling around with some new shimano 4000 reel, cant remember what its called but it was pretty sweet.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 AM

I saw a couple sidestabs in Wallmart. They were in the small markdown section. I believe they were $48. Didn't pay much attention to size but looked to be a medium size reel.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Like I said in another thread, they WERE on sale at the Fishin hole sale, 25% off of retail $45, which means you could get free line with it (basically) professionally spooled
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanr View Post
I saw a couple sidestabs in Wallmart. They were in the small markdown section. I believe they were $48. Didn't pay much attention to size but looked to be a medium size reel.
I check the Wal-Mart by my place today . . . they only had the 4000s, and I was looking for another 2500

My big reel is a Daiwa, so I passed up on the 4000 (though the 4000 is a nicer reel than the one I'm using).

Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
For you Sidestab fans (of which I'm one), I found out yesterday, from a gentleman who works at WSS, that Shimano has discontinued them. If you want one, best to snap them up now.
thanks for this post! i have been meaning to get a new reel... so when i saw your post... i actually got in my car during lunch went to WSS to get one of those sidestabs. I have one and want another. They are gone... which is too bad. I did pick up a CX 2500 which I got on sale for $35 (it was the last one) and they spooled it with Pro Pwer Line for free. Then I bought a new bait rod. Time well spent if you ask me!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 AM

If anyone sees one of the 2500's let me know.
Rear or front drag.
I need another ultralight reel.
A little off topic but has anybody have experience with Pfleuger's?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

I have a phleuger and its awesome, I think mine is called the "trion" or somthing, really smooth. I've had mine for 3 years now and its still working great. It was only a little more than the sidestab when I bought it which is why I didnt get a sidestab.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beazer View Post
If anyone sees one of the 2500's let me know.
Rear or front drag.
I need another ultralight reel.
A little off topic but has anybody have experience with Pfleuger's?
Beazer . . . it is the 1000 that is that ultralight

Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM

When i picked up CX yesterday from WSS... I almost got a Pfleuger. It had a really...really... smooth action and at about $50 with 10 bearings it sounded like a great deal. The WSS guy ssiad the Pfleugers werre the top seller at the store.

The reason I didnt get it: when i asked about the importance of bearings... the WSS rep said the number of bearings isnt as important as the quality of the bearings. he siad the shimano had better quality bearings even it had 4 vs. Pfleuger's 10. Iasked about value for dollar.. esp since the new reel was for my 7 year old duaghter's rod... he said the shimano was the best bet. for the money in the 35-50 range.

However... i did some research last night and their upper level reels: the Supreme medalist and infusion are among the top of the spinng reels on the market.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

I bought the phleuger because it had a bit bigger spool than the 4000 shimanos and it handled the 12 lb mono I was using back then a little better. I also liked that it came with two spools that were both aluminum and of the same good quality rather than how the spare spools that many reels come with are much poorer quality than the main one, I cant remember if the sidestab even came with a spare spool.

On a side note has anyone used the Abu Garcia reels? I always wanted a Cardinal when I was a kid because it was the first spinning reel with 3 ball bearings that was cheap enough that I could actualy see getting one. Ahh the good old days, when 3 ballbearings was as good as it got and would cost you the better part of $100.

Last edited by Cal; 09-02-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Aby garcia makes wicked spinning reels.
I've used them almost exclusively for spinning.
Got an ultralight but haven't used it much since buying the Mitchell Avocet II(amazing reel for the money).
But now my regular spinning rig is probably toast. too many pike fights lol.
I was thinking of buying one of the top pfleuger's for ultralight and to match for a nice wallye rod. I think the one I was looking at was about 90 bucks but i saw another for 120 that really piqued my interest.
I like the aluminum spools alot since I'm a big fan of braids.