Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Tree,Clash et al

I mentioned this to Tree earlier and thought I would opn it up to all of you for ideas and advice. I've been given a beautiful carving set my Dad got when stationed in France. I have always loved the set since I was a kid and I want to make a nice hardwood chest for it....any and all ideas would be great.....Im going to try to add a pic here

hope the size isnt too big for you dial uppers
Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM

that is beautiful...i would go all out on it if you are going to make a nice case.

get some really nice wood......i could see that looking amazing in a nice black or Turkish walnut case, antique brass finishings, midnight blue velvet interior a nice oiled finish for the wood (almost exactly what i did for my shotgun breakdown case....pics to come in the next few weeks) except i did not have the cash to go with a great wood. so i had to use ash and then stain it. it looks.."ok"...but not fantastic like a good wood would..haha
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM

I was thinkn velvet inside also, I am thinkn a dark wood as well the wood tree has for the knives is a thought, but a deep cherry might look nice too, I dunno which is why I am opening it up to suggestions lol...I dont know my arse from a hole in the ground when it comes to this stuff, I will prob pester you alot on this Clash lol
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

That looks very similar the set my grandpa has.... Its beautiful.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Dont look in his house it might be gone lol
Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM

after working with the ebony...it is pretty...but i don't think i would ever use it again. very hard to work with imho...hard, dense, heavy..and does not sand really really well by hand.

i think a case that opened up like french doors with a nice hook clasp would look sweet.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Just getting in tonight.........little bow zone scouting.

Clash, if I knew how much of a pain in the azz the ebony was going to be, I'd never have sent it your way. Sorry dude.

Kannon, try this. Go to Chapters and pick up a couple of woodworking mazagines. I know I've just recently seen one that was entirely dedicated to exotic hardwoods. Should give you some ideas to work with in terms of selection, patterns, etc. That set of knives is amazing, and with a great history to boot.

One of the other species of wood I was initially going to pick was called Desert Ironwood. This is the stuff in most of Clash's pics. Very nice stuff.

I also have a handbuilt knife from Texas with Mesquite which is nice. There's just some many cool ones to choose from, that it can get confusing. From the traditionals like ash, maple (bird's eye of course), walnut, to exotics like the above mentioned, zebrawood, rosewood, etc, etc, etc. Buy some magazines to set you in the right direction. They will help.

Since it came from France, perhaps research some of that country's native hardwoods as well as some of their era-releated furniture designs. Could be a neat addition as an inlay. Also since your Dad served his country, some good old fashioned maple could be a nice tribute.

Personally, when I get another custom blade made (relax Clash, no ebony), I'm really going to look into getting a piece of the hardwoods they are recovering from the bottem of the Great Lakes. These logs were cut by the early settlers to be sent back to Europe centuries ago. Many of the barges and vessels were sunk in storms, but have laid on the bottem perfectly preserved for over 400 years. The recovery overations are pretty impresive, and this is becoming some of the rarest pieces of wood in existance and a great little slice of Canadiania.

Good Luck!
Tree
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 AM

tree i am just giving you a hard time.......haha. it is fine really.

but not what i would choose for a box.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM

Depending on how much experience and the tools you have...

Consider exposed dovetail joints using contrasting woods.

I've made many boxes..........small (for dice) and chest size. I usually joint them up with dovetails or finger joints...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM

I have thought of this as well, or carving from a solid block dunno yet thats why I am asking for all the input.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Just getting in tonight.........little bow zone scouting.

I also have a handbuilt knife from Texas with Mesquite which is nice. There's just some many cool ones to choose from, that it can get confusing. From the traditionals like ash, maple (bird's eye of course), walnut, to exotics like the above mentioned, zebrawood, rosewood, etc, etc, etc. Buy some magazines to set you in the right direction. They will help.
Good Luck!
Tree
I snipped for length, but...

IF (note the caps) you can find it, spalted maple. Some other nice Canadian woods around, like butternut, walnut, etc. I have a piece of black cherry just a little too thin for a stock (full length too...), so... it will become a shadow box for my grandfathers fishing flies. He made one of several types before he died. These are tiny trout flies for the Scottish streams... I'm really looking forward to that project... one day...

Oh... one of my favourites (From Oregon) is Myrtle wood.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM

Default box

I would contact Gernot Keiffer he has a website somewhere and you can contact him through the black forest wood comany where he does carving classes. My suggestion is you make the box and commission him to carve the lid. You won't be dissapointed.

the chef
Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Great suggestions guys thanx....
Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM

One other related query, where in Edmonton would a guy go to find good exotic woods??
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Most 'Windsor Plywood ' stores usually have a selection of exotic woods.