Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Default The South Ram River Canyon?

Does anyone know where the 45 km's of Canyon part of the South Ram River is? The one they say is the better fishing. Over the weekend we hiked about 8 km up river from Hummingbird on the South Ram/Allenby trail past the Ranger Creek trailhead and found no such Canyon, the fishing was still ok but not what we had hoped and we thought we would run into some of the canyon? Did we go the wrong way from Hummingbird, should we have gone downriver instead of up?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM

From what I understand it's the stretch downstrean of the main falls until it hooks up with the north ram - not a lot of access and I'm sure there's a few honey holes. you were way to far upstream, up the ranger creek trail is suposed to be decent but trout not as big, but still fun.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfuchs View Post
Does anyone know where the 45 km's of Canyon part of the South Ram River is? The one they say is the better fishing. Over the weekend we hiked about 8 km up river from Hummingbird on the South Ram/Allenby trail past the Ranger Creek trailhead and found no such Canyon, the fishing was still ok but not what we had hoped and we thought we would run into some of the canyon? Did we go the wrong way from Hummingbird, should we have gone downriver instead of up?
The main canyon starts below the falls and continues down stream. There are some beautiful spots to fish in that canyon but access can be tough as mentioned. I know of one decent access point. If you would like to know more PM me for info.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Ram River

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
The main canyon starts below the falls and continues down stream. There are some beautiful spots to fish in that canyon but access can be tough as mentioned. I know of one decent access point. If you would like to know more PM me for info.

I would really appreciate that, we would like to try to get back in there one more time soon, could you email me as I do not have an MSN @ bradfuchs@gmail.com (not sure what you mean by PM, this is my first day as a member of this site), don't get me wrong the fishing was still good down that way but a few more would have been nice, I caught three all on hopper patterns this past Saturday.