Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Default Perch

Is there any good lakes for perch within a 2 hours drive north of Edmonton? If you want to keep the location a secret, please pm me. Also wondering if anybody has noticed that our perch are becoming extremely small. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midas View Post
Is there any good lakes for perch within a 2 hours drive north of Edmonton? If you want to keep the location a secret, please pm me. Also wondering if anybody has noticed that our perch are becoming extremely small. Thanks!
Within 2 hours north, yes, but just barely and they are hit and miss. I only have them figured out in the winter. PM sent.

Perch1.JPG

Perch2.JPG
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Perching

Nice stripped hogs. The one fish looks like it could have a saddle and ride it.
Cheers
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM

thats a nice looking catch.

I am looking for my first perch of the year still. i used to always catch a couple of perch when ever i went walleye fishing but it has not happened yet this year. Hopefully its easier in the coming weeks when the water starts clearing up a bit.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Nice hogs! Those arent easy to find now a days! I guess i could probably travel 3 hours for a good perch lake, instead of just 2 lol!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 PM

those sure dwarfed my perch from today..lol biggest was 9 inches
Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
those sure dwarfed my perch from today..lol biggest was 9 inches
where did you go,
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 PM

carburn park pond in calgary...didnt even know there was still perch in there..lol
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Wow! Those are a nice size. I'm pretty impressed . . . much bigger than anything I've come home with.

I think a couple of those are around 9", aren't they? They're very plump. How long is the blade on your knife?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Default nice perch

wow those are some nice big fat perch ... should be yummy too
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM

What about North Buck and Missawawi for perch?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM

could I get a PM too please.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midas View Post
What about North Buck and Missawawi for perch?
Missawawi is no good anymore because of the water level; it has dropped incredibly from the old hay days there. North Buck is okay but the perch are spread out it seems. Some days you can get a couple of good ones but nothing consistant.

Your right guys, getting on some good perch is hard to do these days, anywhere. I don't know what it is; the fishing pressure or the predators (walleye and pike). The lake that the perch in the pics came out of this winter has very few walleyes. For example, Beaver Lake used to be great for hog perch but now the walleyes seem to have taken over.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Wow! Those are a nice size. I'm pretty impressed . . . much bigger than anything I've come home with.

I think a couple of those are around 9", aren't they? They're very plump. How long is the blade on your knife?
There is a tape measure in first pic......bigger than 9"......more like 12 or 13.
Still, these are babies compared to the old days at Beaver, Elinor, Blackett, Ironwood, and Missawawi (Egg Lake).
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Thumbs down Perching

A few years ago Hasse was good for perch. The biggest I pulled out was 12.25 inches. I always went home with six fish but the fishing pressure the last couple of years has made it harder to catch the big ones. There are people who will take fish around 5 inches long and they say they make soup with the whole fish. Whatever!?!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Im 30 and its pathetic that i remember the good old days when i was 15 and you could catch 40 perch (legal limit) and have a tonne of big ones. I remember one trip were we came back short 1 walleye turns out we had a perch so big we tossed it in with the eyes forgot it was a perch and when we counted the fish in the walleye bucket we figured we had our limit.

I remember throwing back countless small perch but now i cant even find one let alone a school of fish that will just sit under the boat happy to eat whatever you drop in front of them.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM

The perch at Hasse are all stunted. They are the same way at spring lake. They will not grow any bigger because they don't have to. They have no predators.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Axeman

Those are some nice looking fish, hopefully i can get a few at touchwood this weekend....I'm not sure how the perch fishing is there but hopefully i can find some.

Scrub
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Pike in Hasse ?

Any truth to pike being caught at Hasse ? I heard in the spring somebody caught one off the dock.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Axeman...awesome perch. If I were a betting man, I'd guess Island or Long, only two lakes I know within two hours of Edmonton that have perch like that.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM

With the restrictive catch limits on pike and walleye there are a ton of lakes up north now where the perch are getting smothered out. You used to be able to pull decent perch out of Baptiste and Fawcett when they were balanced lakes. Now finding perch in those lakes is rare but they're sure loaded with way more small to medium walleye and pike then the past.

You're right about Beaver too - I remember a May long weekend about 10-12 years ago where we found some massive schools of humpback perch. Haven't seen them since but again - loaded with medium walleyes.

North Buck is North Buck .. not much has changed in that one for as far back as I can remember. It's not hard to catch perch there but - while there are some big ones around - they don't seem to school up there. Lots in the 3-9inch range. I spent a full day ice-fishing it in '07 .. caught about 50 perch that day and I think 7 or 8 were 'keepers'.

I don't think we'll be seeing too many perch fisheries until F&W realizes that perch are also a popular game fish and managing fisheries so that one catches a small pike or walleye on every cast is a little silly.