Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Time for a new Bow!

I am looking to buy a new bow this week for hunting.
I was wondering what people would suggest as a good entry level to intermediate bow set up.
I am looking to spend $400 ish.
I like the Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro's specs and price at about $420.
What other bows should I try? Where should I go?
I was thinking about checking out Jimbows here in Edmonton. How are their prices compared to other shops?

I had a Hoyt set at 60 lbs which was ok. It was an older bow. I tried my buddies Bowtech last week and decided to sell my bow and try something else.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM

You can't go wrong at Jimbow's. Carson and Dave are good bow technicians. They have a pretty good selection of hunting packages now. Just go try the bows. Only way to find the one you like!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Banned

The infinite edge is a youth bow, designed for the growing archer. There are a couple Hoyts I noticed in the buy and sell that I would buy before the infinite edge, like the Factor and the Maxxis. Jmo.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The infinite edge is a youth bow, designed for the growing archer. There are a couple Hoyts I noticed in the buy and sell that I would buy before the infinite edge, like the Factor and the Maxxis. Jmo.
I'm not looking for a used bow though. I asked if people had suggestions for new bows in my price range that I may want to try out.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM

Default Budget

If you are starting from ground zero and need a "new" bow with accessories, a release, arrows, case, and a target, a $400 budget is virtually impossible.

But...

with "used" you may find a package deal for everything and get better quality in the long run.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 04-25-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:06 PM

The $400 ish budget is for a bow only. I have a release, target ... if I need new arrows cut or other accessories that's not to be included in my bow budget. I'm willing to spend a little more than $400 just don't want to break the bank.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Ok, the infinite edge is a kids bow, as is pretty much any new bow you'll get for $400. I don't have much experience with kids bows so I can't help you out.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM

The Infinite Edge can be adjusted up to adult draw lengths and poundages. The Fuel is another good entry level bow at a reasonable cost if you want to stick with the Bowtech brand.

LC
Old 04-25-2016, 06:15 PM

cruzer by Bear is another great entry bow, diamond cure, Quest torrent, pse has a few but I find they are boat anchors..... there are lots out there best is to spend a day going around trying them out to find the one you like best ....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 PM

Where's the best place to try the most bows?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM

Jimbows Edmonton or Accurate Archery in Alberta Beach
Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM

Cabellas had a few bows on a clearance rack a couple weeks ago, Trophy Book in Spruce Grove had a clearance rack as well. Trophy Book will let you try as many bows as you want.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:17 PM

I think something like the bargain cave at cabelas will provide the highest quality bow for the lowest price. It just won't give you as many options as shipping from a choice of $1000 bare bows. If there's any way to work overtime or stretch the budget by waiting a few months to save more, it would be well worth having a great bow for years to come.
As for the $400 budget, I've seen some impressive deals in the bargain cave
Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go check out the bargain cave at cabelas. I think I'll still hit up jimbows and shoot as many bows as possible and make a decision from there.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 PM

There is wholesale as well look around till you find what your looking for as well check your prices if that's something that your looking at as well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-26-2016, 12:11 AM

Default Wholesale had all the 2015 bear and pse bows on sale 25% 35% off

They have an lane behind the counter to try out bows its just hidden
Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 AM

There are bows that you may pick up with that budget...there are three classes of bows...low end or entry level, mid range and high end...many shops don't carry much in the lower end as they want you to be happy with your purchase...

You may want to save up a few hundred more and get a bow you will enjoy and be truly happy with...if you find one in that budget and are happy with it ...outstanding...one can always upgrade later if they know they like bow hunting or archery...and you will...lol
wish ya the best!

Neil
Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Smile

Big Thanks to Carson at Jimbows in Edmonton. After checking out the big box stores I headed to Jimbows. Carson greated me as soon as i walked in. After talking to him for a few minutes, he got a few bows ready for me to try out. After shooting all the bows, I started to get a feel for one. After a few minor adjustments I was all dialed in. Carson helped me pick out the correct spline arrows. He quickly got them cut to length and ready. He set me up on a lane and told me to shoot as long as I wanted. Not once did I feel pressured to make a purchase or leave. Great overall experience. I would definitely recommend Jimbows to anyone and everyone!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Jimbows ,Carson and Dave are great to deal with
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
Big Thanks to Carson at Jimbows in Edmonton. After checking out the big box stores I headed to Jimbows. Carson greated me as soon as i walked in. After talking to him for a few minutes, he got a few bows ready for me to try out. After shooting all the bows, I started to get a feel for one. After a few minor adjustments I was all dialed in. Carson helped me pick out the correct spline arrows. He quickly got them cut to length and ready. He set me up on a lane and told me to shoot as long as I wanted. Not once did I feel pressured to make a purchase or leave. Great overall experience. I would definitely recommend Jimbows to anyone and everyone!

So what bow was the one you had the feel For?...did you buy it?

Neil
Old 04-27-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
So what bow was the one you had the feel For?...did you buy it?

Neil
I ended up buying the Diamond Infinite Edge. It just felt the best out of all the bows I tried. I shot a few more expensive bows but I really couldn't feel enough of a difference to justify stretching my budget that much. I bought some gold tip hunter XT arrows to go with the bow. Best part of all my wife is happy that I didn't go overboard. Which is nice.

I know some people here are going to hate on the bow but i'm getting tight groups and I couldn't be happier with it. If I get a few years and keep my freezer full that's all I care about.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I ended up buying the Diamond Infinite Edge. It just felt the best out of all the bows I tried. I shot a few more expensive bows but I really couldn't feel enough of a difference to justify stretching my budget that much. I bought some gold tip hunter XT arrows to go with the bow. Best part of all my wife is happy that I didn't go overboard. Which is nice.

I know some people here are going to hate on the bow but i'm getting tight groups and I couldn't be happier with it. If I get a few years and keep my freezer full that's all I care about.
If it works for you and feels right that is all you need! Congrats, I think I was shooting there last night when you picked it up. Enjoy the addiction!

LC
Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 PM

that's a good bow to start with and if feel you want to upgrade that bow is a great fit for a child
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-27-2016, 08:10 PM

I am sure I will upgrade in a year or two. I've been hooked ever since I got an old bow as part of a trade in February. The old bow wasn't tuned or anything but I kept coming back. This new bow is a dream compared to it. I'm sooo excited for bow season. I haven't even tried to take my rifles out.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:02 PM

I went into jimbows the other day not knowing anything about bows or archery. Carson helped me out. I was a little strapped for time so it progressed a little quickly. Got a real nice bow and accessories. Little more than I planned to spend haha. But now I'm in the game and looking to practice. I hope the bow does me well. Thumbs up to jimbows so far.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 PM

Carson and Dave are both stand up guys, like dealing with them
Old 05-28-2016, 02:11 AM

Made my first trip into jimbows about a week ago. Wasn't really shopping to buy anything as much as I was going to check out the shop. It's been open quite a while now and I just never made it in to see what it's like. I was impressed with the shop, they have a good variety of accessories, and I love Hoyt's(just not so much the prices due to our current exchange rate, bought my last one when the loonie was worth $1.05 used). Customer service was a-1, and I look forward to bringing my daughter in there to try out the youth bows they have. Infinite edge being one of them. Congrats on your first new bow!
Old 06-12-2016, 02:30 PM

how are you finding the new bow?
Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM

I love my new bow. Shoots like a dream.

I'm actually having withdrawals right now as I'm on vacation and haven't shot my bow in a week. 😯
Old 06-12-2016, 03:05 PM

do you think that bow would do the job on a moose/bear even tho its considered a youth/female bow

just trying to figure out my options for a first bow that would work for me hunting wise