Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2021, 05:05 AM

Default 353 antlerless moose

Hey everyone, i got my antlerless moose draw in 353 this year. I havent hunted this zone in a long time. Would i be better off going down the simonette? I will also be taking an outfitter tent and bush camping out there along the river. Any help is appreciated
Old 09-18-2021, 09:38 AM

what time you going have hunted that area for 30 years.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:39 AM

Just be careful, you need to hunt in western half of WMU 353. F & W like to harvest hunters that try to take cow moose near the Little Smokey rather than west of the Simonette.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 man View Post
what time you going have hunted that area for 30 years.
Heading up there on the 29th of september
Old 09-18-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just be careful, you need to hunt in western half of WMU 353. F & W like to harvest hunters that try to take cow moose near the Little Smokey rather than west of the Simonette.
Yah i seen they have it split. Id like to set up camp and hunt from there
Old 09-18-2021, 04:35 PM

Your going to early for cow moose ,wait 2 weeks .
I hunt that area a lot .
The first two weeks the young bulls come out and the older cows hide deep in the bush from those young teenagers as they only want to breed with the bigger bulls. Around Oct 8 the bigger bulls will pull the cows out into the cut lines .
Also be carefull for the grizzles . They walk the roads and the cutlines all day and night . We seen two a day . The First night they walked threw our camp . We were in a hard wall trailer . Wolfs are all been taken out from poison about two years so the grizz walk the roads a lot ...be care full and keep an out side fire going all night or a radio !
You will also see or hear an ATV every hr . Not sure why but the last 4 years alot of guys from southern Alberta have been hunting those zones . They come in large groups . This year I expect a lot more as many people are not working because of covid .

Last edited by -JR-; 09-18-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Your going to early for cow moose ,wait 2 weeks .
I hunt that area a lot .
The first two weeks the young bulls come out and the older cows hide deep in the bush from those young teenagers as they only want to breed with the bigger bulls. Around Oct 8 the bigger bulls will pull the cows out into the cut lines .
Also be carefull for the grizzles . They walk the roads and the cutlines all day and night . We seen two a day . The First night they walked threw our camp . We were in a hard wall trailer . Wolfs are all been taken out from poison about two years so the grizz walk the roads a lot ...be care full and keep an out side fire going all night or a radio !
You will also see or hear an ATV every hr . Not sure why but the last 4 years alot of guys from southern Alberta have been hunting those zones . They come in large groups . This year I expect a lot more as many people are not working because of covid .
Thanks for the information but unfortunately i wont be able to make it out any later but will be there for 5-6 days. Hopefully i can get one in that time. Yah i have heard there has been alot of grizzly sightings as well. I will definitely have a radio and keep a fire going.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:54 AM

Not sure if I agree with cows coming out later in breeding season. They always bed in heavy timber and walk to high browse areas each day. More cow site ings later more to do with lots of hunters and quads moving them along with more estrus cows.

Tags
moose, wmu 353