Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2023, 11:12 PM

Default Yukon 2023

Here we go here we go.

Just got up to the cabin for the summer - here until late Sept or early October. The lake only lost its ice few weeks ago and is just starting to stratify.

I went out for the first time last night and grabbed 3 in about and hour and a half. One flatlining, one on the rigger at 40 ft in 60 FOW, the other at 80 ft in 85 FOW. They're all over the place.

Kept my limit - one at 20" and the other at 24". Nothing crazy, but good eating. Looking to beat my personal best of 28 lbs this season. I will be a happy man whether I do or don't, but man oh man it would be nice to reel in a dinosaur this season.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

A little slice of heaven right there.

Lakers that size are prime eaters in my eyes.

Good luck in your quest for the biggum!

Post up more of your adventure

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2023, 11:04 PM

Today was a great day out here at Tagish.

In the AM I had a hired gig as a sightseeing guide for a guest of my closest neighbour - the hospitality lodge that's about 5 km away. I spent the morning touring around a glass-like lake, and had a chance to take the client on a nice hike to see some stunning waterfalls. She wasn't overly confident about her physical ability, but a gentle nudge or two and she was beaming when we got to Racine Falls. Tucked away just on the BC side of the border, they're not a sight that many get to see. The fact that I got paid to do this trip is above and beyond. That morning will put fuel in the boat for the better part of a month.

In the PM I went out to grab a couple trout. I have a charter gig lined up for tomorrow, and after eating and gifting the last trout I wanted to have a couple 'contingency' fish in the fridge for a shore lunch. Just in case.

2 fish in the first 10 minutes after heading out at 8 pm, and 3 in total within 45 minutes. They were on.

The second fish was a beauty. No personal best, but measured out at 28" to 29" which puts it in the must release slot (27 inches to 40 inches get tossed back for breeding purposes). I figure a healthy 12 to 15 lbs. She pulled line and went on a few nice runs, and over a 7 or 8 minute fight she had my arm a bit fatigued. Lots of fun and she put a huge smile on my face. Never took her out of the net. Barbless hooks just fall out, and a quick check against the adhesive yard stick on the gunwale has her back in the lake without ever having being handled.

She filled my net - which isn't small - curving all around its hoop and at the same time filling it top to bottom. That's a Northern King mag in her mouth (watermelon).