Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Stiffnes in dogs after training or working?

I have a very healthy 2.5 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. The past couple weeks ive been really amping up my dogs preseason workouts and fitness drills. Pup has been having bouts of real stiffness soas i can tell, in the evenings following a heavy workout. Im a firm beleiver in training a dog in higher intensities during the summer months if youre going to expect them last entire days during the fall season. Maybe im going too hard on a 2.5 yr old dog though? When i say amping up, i mean instead of just retrieving drills ive added in simple fun frisbee games with him, just to keep things fun and get him doing some hard
Sprints. I feel bad for the pup watching him get the stiffness. Should i scale things back and be even more gradual working him into agility stuff? I was thinking of adding additional glicosamine to his diet. He is fed well, and trust me when i say he is well taken care of. He is no stranger to being in shape. I myself
Run a lot so its not like i suddenly got him up and out. Should i be worried about hip dysplasia at his age knowing the parents were free and cleared?

Any suggestions from the active dog owners?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 PM

We use herding dogs daily on the ranch, so different breed than your asking, but I'd be very concerned about what you describe.
A young fit dog shouldn't get noticeably stiff and sore if he has a active life leading up to some big work out.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
We use herding dogs daily on the ranch, so different breed than your asking, but I'd be very concerned about what you describe.
A young fit dog shouldn't get noticeably stiff and sore if he has a active life leading up to some big work out.
That ^

With the problem(s) being described, it sounds like the OP should be directing his questions to a Vet.

Mac
Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
That ^

With the problem(s) being described, it sounds like the OP should be directing his questions to a Vet.

Mac
Ya ive fired my cousin (who is a vet) a facebook message and shes pretty good about getting back to me quickly. Just thought id ask here if anyone has had any similiar experiences while i waited
Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Ya ive fired my cousin (who is a vet) a facebook message and shes pretty good about getting back to me quickly. Just thought id ask here if anyone has had any similiar experiences while i waited
You're lucky to have a Vet in the family ... wish I could say that

Good Luck with it, and all the best to your dog.

Mac
Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
You're lucky to have a Vet in the family ... wish I could say that

Good Luck with it, and all the best to your dog.

Mac
He comes around the next morning usually pretty much 100% so im almost positive its stiffness in the muscles or a previous ligament injury that didnt heal properly. Being the stubborn chessie that he is he took an early season plunge into a water hole and seemed to have twisted or sprained his front leg after hitting an under water chunk of ice. He yelped good, but seemed fine after i checked him out. Kind if one of those 'just walk it off' type things. I kept him off of it for a a couple weeks until he seemed fine. He seems to stiffen up in that join and one of his rear legs. Im thinking he might have beaten up a few parts and they never fully healed. Im going to wait to hear from my cousin and keep him off the hard stuff for a few days but keep him mobile. Poor bastard is laying on my lap getting his front legs rubbed by dad tonight 😜

Snoring away to a movie
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
He comes around the next morning usually pretty much 100% so im almost positive its stiffness in the muscles or a previous ligament injury that didnt heal properly. Being the stubborn chessie that he is he took an early season plunge into a water hole and seemed to have twisted or sprained his front leg after hitting an under water chunk of ice. He yelped good, but seemed fine after i checked him out. Kind if one of those 'just walk it off' type things. I kept him off of it for a a couple weeks until he seemed fine. He seems to stiffen up in that join and one of his rear legs. Im thinking he might have beaten up a few parts and they never fully healed. Im going to wait to hear from my cousin and keep him off the hard stuff for a few days but keep him mobile. Poor bastard is laying on my lap getting his front legs rubbed by dad tonight 😜

Snoring away to a movie

Who owns who?

I hope you find the answer.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Who owns who?

I hope you find the answer.
No kidding eh?

Bah. Boys night. Mangy mutt has already brought back more birds in 2 seasons than i had for my old man in all my years growing up. Im grateful. Sometimes i like to let him know
Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 PM

I highly doubt its hd, especially if the parents were tested and cleared.
His age is irrelevant. I run dogs that are 7, 2, and 5 years old day after day for cat season.
Is the stiffness confined to the leg that was previously injured?
You said legs, both front legs seem stiff?
Stiff as in walking like he has casts on his legs? Keeping them straight?

How quickly have you "amped" up his exersice?
Even changing a dogs routine from 2 to 3 hours of hard exercise a day can cause problems.

As has been said, must be nice to have a vet in the family.

Last edited by Hydro1; 05-18-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 PM

When the malamute was a puppy she hurt her "shoulder?" High on her chest dealing with one leg in particular. It was when she was a puppy and launched off a platform or later ran into a tree full blast.

Since then after a really strenuous day at work or if she jumps off a high platform you'll see her stiff that night or the next morning if it's cold sometimes. She warms up after a jog and it goes away. Hasn't really slowed her down, her front paws can dig a hole in a county road if she felt like it.

A vet told me you could throw a lot of money at it and get nowhere. Best bet avoid triggering it. She is 100% whenever you examine her. Except for the bbs in an x ray...

Not sure if this helps, but just wanted to let you know it doesn't mean the dog won't be fully capable still. That said slow it down a bit and see if it goes away, rotate different exercises in and out and see if it's one in particular that is triggering it.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 PM

Just an update. Been corresponding with the family member / veterinarian. She thinks its more likely due to a prior injury that probably never healed properly. He did take a pretty hard lump into an underwater ice boulder this past spring and did seem to sprain an ankle or leg. Being the typical chesapeake, pup never lets on but i have caught him randomly limp when he thinks im not watching. I think he might have some muscle or ligament damage that never fully healed. So, im upping his food intake a bit to to increase calorie intake to help with fatigue and injury repair. It was that time anyways with his increase in training. Ive started him back on green tripe on his dry kibble as i normally do when we get into full on practise work. And im going to scale back the hard workouts for a week and keep him to light workouts. She doesnt seem overly concerne though. No change in his walking gait ir anything on the hips. She said a a dog his size, dark chocolate in colour, will have heat effect him
More too (obviously), so that could be controbuting to the lack of
Muscle repair too lately. So basically wait and see type thing. So good news i guess 😜
Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Banned

Not an expert do you have a hot tub?

Heat can help?

Take my comment with a grain of salt.