Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Default RV storage

Can anyone recommend an RV storage place near north Edmonton?
Any advice as to what to look for?
Should I remove the batteries to keep them from freezing?
Should I use one of those solar trickle chargers to keep the batteries from freezing?
Plug ins?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Can't recommend a storage place. As I live in cowtown,
But definitely remove the battery(ies), and store them inside.

No storage place I've heard of will have plugins, unless it's your backyard.
I'd recommend a gravel storage area. Less chance of critters. Oh yeah, do yourself a favor, remove anything that is of value (t.v.), clean every compartment, remove any food, paper, clothes, linens. Anything you think a critter might want to chew on. My trailer is almost completely empty when I winterize it.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Default A few pointers

If you pull the batteries, make sure you don't store them on the ground (like in your garage perhaps). They will discharge out over the winter and they will have a fairly short life. I usually leave the batteries in the trailer but they are topped up by the roof mounted solar panels and they never really lose their voltage.

If you are concerend about critters making a winter home (and chewing up everything), I agree with getting all food etc out of it. Make sure all of the openings under the trailer are filled or plugged up, I have seen guys use expanding foam to fill in these gaps...a mouse can crawl in a very small hole. I have been told that placing dryer sheets all over the floor will keep the mice out as well. Not too sure if it works but I have never had a mouse in an RV in over 10 yrs. In my unit I used about 10-15 sheets.

Make sure not to move it when very cold, usually the lino is glued on the edges and in winter it becomes brittle and will not flex with the floor when on the highway...the result is a huge tear (like 6' long in my case) in the floor...and a nice new floor next season.

Zeke
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 AM

You should always remove your batteries and keep them in a place where they will no FREEZE, in an unheated garage is just as bad as left on the trailer. Any freezing of your battery will severely reduce the life of your battery. If you want to get really picky a battery monitor should be hooked up while in storage to cycle the battery and keep it in the best possible condition greatly increasing the life and longevity of your batteries. And as stated do not store or charge them on a cement floor or steel bench, always place something between like a rubber mat or piece of wood.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Definatly take out your batteries, charge them up on a bench for a couple days and store them on a shelf for the winter. Somewhere warm so they dont freeze. Ive been doing that for 10 yrs and my deep cycle rv battery is still going strong. I would lock the hitch too. I have heard of trailers being stolen from storage lots in the spring.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
...And as stated do not store or charge them on a cement floor or steel bench, always place something between like a rubber mat or piece of wood.
That's an old myth that no longer applies to todays batteries. It's perfectly safe to store your batteries on concrete. link

The biggest thing is freezing. As long as you keep them fully charged they can withstand our temps. My trojans stayed outside all last winter. I have the trailer plugged in, which keeps them charged.

Last edited by Enigma; 09-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

There's an rv storage lot up Hwy 28A just West of Bon Accord that I know of. Just head North on 97 St and it'll turn into Hwy 28A. About 20 kms up the road you'll come to a long right turn in the highway a few kms before Bon Accord. It's there on the left side of the highway.

Yes, take your battery(s) out and put them on your workbench. I like to trickle charge mine about once a month.

I hope that you are doing more to winterize your trailer than just taking out the batteries. Like, draining the water from the system and adding rv anti-freeze.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Legal Self Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There's an rv storage lot up Hwy 28A just West of Bon Accord that I know of. Just head North on 97 St and it'll turn into Hwy 28A. About 20 kms up the road you'll come to a long right turn in the highway a few kms before Bon Accord. It's there on the left side of the highway.
I believe that this is the one you're talking about:
http://www.legalselfstorage.com/

I've been considering taking mine there. Haven't decided whether to park mine in the back yard or store it at a lot.

Stinky
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

No, that's not the rv storage place that I was referring to. If you go on your link and look at the map on the homepage it would be just before the "B" in Bon Accord. It's right on the left of the bend in the highway (north side) and you can see it if you are driving by. Pretty reasonable rates from what I heard.

Now that I think about it there's an acreage just on the East edge of town in Morinville that will store your trailer on their property. I'll see if they have a phone number posted the next time that I drive by. I would imagine that it would be cheaper there than an established company.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Ah, you mean the one right after the Legal turnoff? If so, that one's called RV Corner. IIRC they charge $240/year. (They're full already...)

The one I'm looking at now is charging about $200/year.

Stinky
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Yup, that's the one.....RV Corner. I'll see if there's a number for the acreage east of Morinville if you want it.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM

I can help out if you want to keep it on my acerage. It is 7 miles east of highway 21 on 16. Ill even charge less than the lots. It can sit on gravel or grass.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Ah, you mean the one right after the Legal turnoff? If so, that one's called RV Corner. IIRC they charge $240/year. (They're full already...)

The one I'm looking at now is charging about $200/year.

Stinky
$200/Year??? Holy smokes Im getting raped up here in Fort McMurray....I pay $170/MONTH for RV storage

Wish my yard was bigger...I have room along the garage for my unit but then i have no where for the kiddos to play and nowhere to store the other toys
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
That's an old myth that no longer applies to todays batteries. It's perfectly safe to store your batteries on concrete. link

The biggest thing is freezing. As long as you keep them fully charged they can withstand our temps. My trojans stayed outside all last winter. I have the trailer plugged in, which keeps them charged.
X2.
Any stored battery (and any battery for the matter) should be cleaned with a baking soda and water wash. They should look dry. If there is any residual "moisture" on them they will trickle drain.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SknirB View Post
$200/Year??? Holy smokes Im getting raped up here in Fort McMurray....I pay $170/MONTH for RV storage
$170/month for storage!!!! Man-o-man that is just incredible! Wouldn't it be worth it to haul it down this way. I have a buddy in Cold Lake with a house on a quarter that I'm sure would let you park it in his driveway for $50 per month.

I don't want to rub it in but just for comparison........I'm paying less than $1700 for a year round site at Lakeview Campground on Lac Ste Anne with power, water, sewer and a spot on the pier for my boat from May to October.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 AM

When I bought my place 6 years ago I thought Cool ! A 6 bay pole barn. I can rent space for winter storage !
It's darn near full now with "stuff".
It is only 22' deep anyway.

But if someone is looking at just having a place to store outside, shoot me a PM.

Next year I should have the new pole barn up. It is going to be about 30' deep. 3 (maybe 4) bays. Openings will be about 14' x 14'.

Old pole barn has power and the new one will as well.

If you take the offer, you have to have your own insurance. I will not cover anyone.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Sold it

No longer relevant.