Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Default 270 Primers, large or mag?

I've been looking at my Fathers loads for 270 win. He seemed to be using WLRM primers, 52grns Imr 4350, with 150 grn Hornady Spire point bullets. 2850 fps. This seemed to be His load for Elk / Deer in this Rifle. Does anyone else use Mag primers in a non Mag rifle? I am using the same Gun and reloading Equipt as he did, in the same below zero conditions???? hav'nt relodaed in a few years. I'm unsure if I should be using mag primers though! Wish i could ask him but he has moved on to " the happy hunt'n grounds", as will we all. Any advice would be apreciated! Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 PM

load em up and go hunting ,keep his c.o.a.l the same
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Mag primers will work fine, generally mag primers can cause higher so you just back down from a max load with a non magnum primer.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 PM

do yourself a favor and consult a good reloading manual..or 2...IF your unsure of the primers do some research as to what your dad was loading. the manuals will cover the load if he was following the book...

as for MAG primers for mag rifles..the reason you use MAG primers is for cold weather..large powder loads.and or ball powder....that being said if you switch mag primers for standard ones DECREASE your load by at least 2-3 grains and work up VERY slowly....

and again read the manual...what you may learn on this forum or any forum could cost you your rifle or even your life...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM

Default mag primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
I've been looking at my Fathers loads for 270 win. He seemed to be using WLRM primers, 52grns Imr 4350, with 150 grn Hornady Spire point bullets. 2850 fps. This seemed to be His load for Elk / Deer in this Rifle. Does anyone else use Mag primers in a non Mag rifle? I am using the same Gun and reloading Equipt as he did, in the same below zero conditions???? hav'nt relodaed in a few years. I'm unsure if I should be using mag primers though! Wish i could ask him but he has moved on to " the happy hunt'n grounds", as will we all. Any advice would be apreciated! Thanks
Ok to load with mag primers.Winchester primers are a little on the hot side work well with ball powders and many use them with loads for cold weather.If your father used them for years without problems and they print good on paper lock and load.One of Jack O'connor's pet loads used mag primers.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 PM

I've loaded for three different 270's and in all three cases the best loads I developed used a magnum primer.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 PM

As mentioned check your reloading book. Depending on the book my manuals show that to be the max load or slightly higher than max with a non magnum primer. You may want to start lower and work your way up.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
do yourself a favor and consult a good reloading manual..or 2...IF your unsure of the primers do some research as to what your dad was loading. the manuals will cover the load if he was following the book...

as for MAG primers for mag rifles..the reason you use MAG primers is for cold weather..large powder loads.and or ball powder....that being said if you switch mag primers for standard ones DECREASE your load by at least 2-3 grains and work up VERY slowly....

and again read the manual...what you may learn on this forum or any forum could cost you your rifle or even your life...
Ya, I have checked the , Hornady, Richard lee, Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Speer and P.O Ackley, tha 3 later being a little out dated, reloading manuals. All were tested with non mag primers. I used a Hornady Bullet so i used went with the Hornady manual. its 2.1 grains under max load with a non mag primer. I also checked the 100 or so fired rounds of brass, no signs of pressure. I just loaded 5rnds at 50grs, 5 at 51grs, and 5 at 52grs. I'll test them in the morning .
thanks for the info. Good luck Hunting.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
I've loaded for three different 270's and in all three cases the best loads I developed used a magnum primer.
Do you happen to remember the loads? not that they will Shoot the same in my rifle, just want to see what someone else has tried and has worked for them. This 270 is 1972-76 Carl Gustaf, m-8000 action, from what I gathered from the 1976 Shooters Bible, 21" barrel. Can't seem to find a hole lot of info on it. Still Shoots 1.5 moa at 100 yrds after 1000 rds or more through it. The old man shot everthing from Grouse to Moose with it. It still is my go to Gun. Might buy a new 270, I like to see what anybody has tried and worked, or failed.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM

I have been reloading 150 grain hornady and speer bullets in my 270 for more than 35 years using CCI250 magnum primers. My model 70 winchester likes 53 grains of 4350 powder for good accuracy without pressure problems. About 10 years ago, I repeated the tests of various loads and again 53 grains of 4350 was the best for my gun. I have used a chrony for about 8 years to test the loads and it shows very little variance between shots.
I do not use magnum primers for my 100 grain loads and I have not loaded any other weights of bullets for my 270.
With the primer shortage this past year, I aquired winchester magnum primers but I have no tyet tested these out in my gun to see what the power load will be.

Sig
Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 PM

I use magnum primers in everything ,in sub-zero weather you need to light a fire under the powder charge.Many noted gunwriters and Speer agree......................Harold
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Do you happen to remember the loads? not that they will Shoot the same in my rifle, just want to see what someone else has tried and has worked for them. This 270 is 1972-76 Carl Gustaf, m-8000 action, from what I gathered from the 1976 Shooters Bible, 21" barrel. Can't seem to find a hole lot of info on it. Still Shoots 1.5 moa at 100 yrds after 1000 rds or more through it. The old man shot everthing from Grouse to Moose with it. It still is my go to Gun. Might buy a new 270, I like to see what anybody has tried and worked, or failed.
I always started with the Jack O'Connor special worked up of course 60 gr of H4831sc and 130 gr TSX.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Fired the 15rds today. Seems using the mag primers, 52grs imr 4350 with 150gr round is the fastest and most accurate of the 3 Tests. Been thinking of switching to the TSX or TTSX. Been reading up on Barnes Bullets, seem to work well for most people. Have to work up a load.
thanks for your opinions.