Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Default Reloading Bench

New at reloading, needed a spot to do it and this is what i came up with, Still need to load it up but its a start. How did I do? What should I change ?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM

I have a similar sized bench / table, and I find that I like my press over on the right hand side of the table (closer to where your powder thrower is). Being right handed, it makes the operation of the press easier for me, and opens up more space for other tools such as my scale and loading blocks. It looks like you have a nice, compact bench though, that could fit in tight places.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 PM

If you're left handed, not too bad other than the press is too far from the thrower as Scott said - yours seems to be about 20" apart. Your idea of placing the thrower back a ways from the bench edge is a good one.

In my situation, both tools are within about 6"-8" of each other which shortens hand-arm movements to the minimum while still allowing full lateral access to each tool. Think of having your two reloading trays almost right next to the press, and a bullet bin just as close. Ergonomics is king.

Where will you put the scale, and how high?

btw, your bench is plenty big enough to do some very efficient single-stage reloading. Your storage system looks great too. Might consider putting a diagonal brace or three to stiffen up the legs.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM

I would put another layer(or maybe 2) on the top and brace the legs(diagonally). When you are sizing brass there may be a lot of movement in the table.

Looks good otherwise.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 PM

For the beam scale, build a platform for it, at eye level, so that you can read it properly.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
I would put another layer(or maybe 2) on the top and brace the legs(diagonally). When you are sizing brass there may be a lot of movement in the table.

Looks good otherwise.
100% agree with the above. I like to put scales on a different table because there can be a lot of motion due to resizing cases.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Looks like you are off to a great start! I think I'd add some beef to your table top or under your press. I'd also add a shelf underneath about half the depth of your bench.

Maybe before adding a layer to the top reinforce your press and use the bench a while and see how it works. The If you want to move your press you wont have holes in your table top
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Needs to be cluttered up! Way too neat and organized.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Looks good! Pretty soon you'll be building an addition for your new press, your shotshell press, your decapping press, your chargemaster, your shelves of dies, etc.

Welcome to the obsession.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The sturdier your bench is, the better. I have a shelf under the bench to store all of my bullets, which adds weight, to further stabilize my bench.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 AM

The benches in the pictures on this blog are what I'm doing next if I move my current setup.

http://echolsrifles.blogspot.ca/

-Billy Molls
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM

If you find there is too much movement, add a turnbuckle from the underside of the top at about a 45degree angle to a wall stud. When tightened it will pull your bench down and to the wall.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe add a little cross bracing as IVO suggested.

I started by using the kitchen table, when the wife was out shopping.

Over the years I've upgraded a number of times. Today I think I have the perfect bench for me. But who knows.

This is you first bench, it probably won't be you last. Over the years you will add new tools, maybe increase the number of cartridges you load for, perhaps shoot more, or maybe less. And with that, what you will need from you bench will change.

Yes, for a first bench, that looks great!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM

I just finished my new bench set up last night and i am pumped!! that thing is ROCK solid. I resized a couple 7 mag brass and there is absolutely NO movement in the bench. I grabbed my press with both hands and tried to shake it and still absolutely zero movement! My top is a solid 1 1/2 birch built into a corner in an L-shape so that helps. The main factor is i put brackets under the bench then into all the studs in behind, so basically it would have to pull out about 8, 3 1/2 inch screws right out of the studs for the bench to move! I find it doesnt matter how thick your top is, how many shelves you have, or how many braces you have going whichever way, the only way to stop movement is to fasten your bench to something else. Mine might as well be made of concrete.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM

I think the only slight alteration i would make to this particular bench is, either move your press closer to that post on the right or the left, or turn your whole set up around the corner so that the grain of your plywood is going the other way for strengths sake. probly not be a big deal now, however who knows in years of use. but ya, the strength axis of plywood goes the other way Very nice set up!!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Needs to be cluttered up! Way too neat and organized.
x10!!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM

I like my powder thrower and press far apart because I size a bunch of cases at a time so dont need the thrower in the way. Then I charge 20 cases so I need room for the thrower and scale then I move to the press and seat 20 rounds.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I like my powder thrower and press far apart because I size a bunch of cases at a time so dont need the thrower in the way. Then I charge 20 cases so I need room for the thrower and scale then I move to the press and seat 20 rounds.

Everyone has there own system
I have my thrower right next to and just behind my press so I can charge a case and seat a bullet without having to put the case down and risk mixing anything up... Also makes for less moves in the process.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Everyone has there own system
I have my thrower right next to and just behind my press so I can charge a case and seat a bullet without having to put the case down and risk mixing anything up... Also makes for less moves in the process.

Where did you get that Hornady mat? lol
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM

P&D in Edmonton
One of the few items they had that was not cheaper to buy online and have shipped to me from across the country.