Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Buying a used rifle: The do's and don't's?

Hey guys,

I have tracked down a Ruger Gunsite Scout that has apparently only had about 20 rounds through it - so I am assuming it is essentially brand new.

Could you guys give me a list of things to ask/look out for that could be deal breakers?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 PM

I have a couple general questions you can ask. I assure there is more knowledgable people that can add to this list.

Are you the original owner? If not how many before and their round count?
Was it ever in a smiths for repairs, what was done to it?
Why are they selling it?
How did it shoot for them?
Condition of the barrel?
Condition of the crown of the barrel too?
General appearance of the rifle. Knicks, scratches, cracks if any
Will you have a chance to see how it shoots?

That's all that comes to mind
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM

- Is the blueing worn off in high wear areas like the action, bolt handle (if it has a bolt or action release), muzzle?

- Is there metal erosion or pitting in the bolt face?
- Are the metal-on-metal parts worn, galled, pitted, sloppy?
- Chamber a sized but empty case and see how the action closes onto it, and how well the extractor and ejector do their jobs.
- Do the action etc. screws and pins show signs of abuse, of having been taken apart multiple times.

- Ask the seller to separate the action from the stock, so you can inspect that area too.

- Patch it out to get a sense of how smooth and regular the bore is.

- Ask what commercial ammo brand/load it shoots best.

- If the owner reloads for it find out what loads he put through it. Ask to see his fired brass. Mike this brass to see if it generally falls within SAAMI specs. Can he let you see his reloading and work-up notes - this will give you a sense of how hot the ammo was that went through this gun, and how fussy the rifle is.

-If you buy the gun offer to buy his components and have him throw in his reloading notes too.

- Seller may have an extra mag or two, try and get those as well.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have a couple general questions you can ask. I assure there is more knowledgable people that can add to this list.

Are you the original owner? If not how many before and their round count?
Was it ever in a smiths for repairs, what was done to it?
Why are they selling it?
How did it shoot for them?
Condition of the barrel?
Condition of the crown of the barrel too?
General appearance of the rifle. Knicks, scratches, cracks if any
Will you have a chance to see how it shoots?

That's all that comes to mind
This is good advice but the questions towards the owner such as "how does it shoot?" The seller would be a fool to tell you it shot poorly. I would leave it to stuff you can visually see or check. I know you may be able to tell if the guy was lying.

I know I may sound like a jerk for not trusting the seller,(ussualy the guys are really good) but some people lie like a sidewalk.
Just my thoughts, I would look online and on forums for info like how does it shoot. Hopefully you can get yourself a good deal!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 PM

i would look to see if all the parts numbers match up and if they do not ask why!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Grab yourself a little flashlight to peek down the barrel. Pitting, erosion, filthy barrel, obstructions, etc. should be relatively obvious.

Check the exterior of the rifle for signs of serious abuse. i.e. a cracked stock, rust and pitting on the exterior metal, large divots in the wood, bent metal, missing or difficult to move pieces such as the safety, work the bolt.

Other than taking it to a gunsmith prior to buying the rifle it's a bit of a lottery. Buying used items will eventually turn into a learning experience no matter how careful you are.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 AM

unless the rifle is 150 bucks cheaper why not just buy new Cement Bench
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Exactly. There is no reason to pay more than 75% of new selling price for a used rifle unless the rifle is rare, of limited production, or exceptional in some way. If the rifle is new, unfired, and in the box, it is, of course worth new price. If it is a discontinued model in this condition, it may even be worth more than when new. Apart from this, determination of condition is strictly up to the buyer. I, who am supposed to be somewhat expert in such things, have gotten burned now and then by taking the seller's word.
When trading, dollar value kind of takes a back seat to desirability. I've seen a lot of trades made (and have made a few myself) which were mystifying on their face. One friend and I traded an action back and forth several times; both claiming to have lost money each time. I finally told him I would give him twenty dollars to keep it so as to save myself further losses. Leeper
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
One friend and I traded an action back and forth several times; both claiming to have lost money each time. I finally told him I would give him twenty dollars to keep it so as to save myself further losses. Leeper
Friends can be the worst or best to deal with!!
Oldbadger and i have traded stuff back and forth for years, I got my favourite shotgun on a mutiple trade with him, and he got a m12 that he loves , and a very nice Lee Speed built by Stephen Lang .
However, I have also traded with people who said they were a friend and everything they had was supposed to be rare, special, high end, etc.
I'm not the World's expert on firearms for sure , but I'm no fool, either.
I have been burned before as well, but am a bit more cautious these days....
Cat
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Do your home work well beforhand.Look around online and in shops at the used racks see what the going rate for whichever used guns go for both high and low.There'll be places (like gun shows) where the prices for a comon firearm is thruogh the roof,don't get sucked in.

-Teddy Roosevelt
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM

If you really don't know what to look for, you are often better off buying new.I don't buy used, unless the price is significantly reduced, or new firearms can't be located.
Other than visually examining the firearm, I generally ask if the person loads their own ammunition, and what load the person is using. If the load sounds out of line, as in very hot, I will walk away.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Default check for legal title

After I had my firearms stolen I ask for bill of sale and pal
Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quality tells - unless you find obvious wear or damage, a good rifle will always be a better buy than an economy model. It does take some time to figure out what is a good value though. Better to see it up front if possible.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 PM

I look for signs in the mechanicals that the gun was a bit more used then the seller is letting on, I also check online that the gun/scope is as new as the seller is making it out to be...

I had a member on the site here ask about a SxS I was looking to trade, I did some looking around and then informed him of all the details I had found... Gun was purchased BNIB by me last fall from a store but was manufactured in the 80's... Probably shot myself in the foot on that one but I ain't gunna lie to make a sale... Besides, now I have a nice piece of communist history in my safe!

I found an excellent deal on a BNIB leupold a few years ago, 5min on my Iphone and I discoverd it was counterfeit and the price was still more then a knockoff could be purchased for... Do your research folks

I have bought a lot of firearms online, I have never been burnt, when I buy a rifle it's most often for parts to build something else.... I'd actually rather buy a gun online and never speak to the seller so I don't have to hear the sob story about how nice the gun is blah blah only to find out he lied.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

These rifles are very hard to fine because Ruger doesn't send many to Canada in the first place. I've been told that they send one shipment per year here so you have to snap one up then. I have one on order with a place in Edmonton (the only place who will order one for me) but that means I will have to pay GST + Shipping from Edmonton, whereas with this rifle, I would save $100 retail + GST and shipping (MSRP of $900 and he wants $800).

He claims that it was purchased last deer season, but he decided to stick with his old rifle and only shot this one 20 times before it sat in the safe. I'm waiting to hear back from him with some questions I sent.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

I scan through the orbituaries.