Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Default sks cleaning

I just bought myself a new sks, but it is covered in grease from the storage I guess. What is the best way to clean it all off and out of the barrel. Will hoppes no. 9 get it out or should I use break clean and then the hoppes to clean that out? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM

If you don't know how to disassemble either find steps online or a video on youtube. Defiantly break clean though.

Tear Down the gun and give it a good shot of break clean then blow it off with compressed air. Do it till all the metal is dry looking. Then use a gun oil or whatever you use and give everything a good coating.

While its apart break clean down the barrel aswell. Then when the outsides cleaned off and oil clean the barrel like you would normally.

Then shoot it till it cooks the rest of the grease out... Have fun cleaning!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Brake Kleen leaves no residue... Pull the rifle out of the stock and swab it down with some paint thinner or varsol to get the big stuff, a rinse and wipe with brake Kleen then give it a light coat of your favorite gun oil.

For the stock I like to warm em up in the oven (120-140*f) for 10min and sponge the oil off with a rag.

....alternate method I have employed was to clean the barrel-bolt-gas system lightly with the rifles supplied tools and a rag then dump 400rnds thru it as quick as I could sponging the melted Cosmo off with an old sock as it dripped off and the rest went up in smoke...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM

Google and You Tube are your friend. Guys use everything, dishwasher (not recommended if you're married....and want to stay that way), ultrasonic, various cleaners. Consensus seems to be mineral spirits in a long plastic tray, or have seen guys use 4" pvc with one end capped....put disassembled barrel/action in, fill er up and let it sit.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM

Strip it and throw it in the dishwasher (only the barrelled action)!!!!! But only if you don't have a wife/girlfriend that you are partial to........... On second thought, maybe the brake clean method is a touch better. My wife was choked when she came home to the top rack on the kitchen floor and me with a sheepish grin on my face The things you read on the Internet I tell you.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Hang rifle from chain hoist beam in a gas compressor building. Just make sure drippings don't fall on turbos. Use a trigger lock for obvious reasons and a 20 liter pail to collect drippings.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 PM

Dont even think about pulling the trigger till that thing has been COMPLETELY taken down and THOROUGHLY cleaned. Slam fires happen, and they're not good.
1952 Soviet SKS Carbine 7.62x39mm
1957 Soviet TOZ-17 .22lr
1942 Soviet Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x54R
Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyseven View Post
Dont even think about pulling the trigger till that thing has been COMPLETELY taken down and THOROUGHLY cleaned. Slam fires happen, and they're not good.
x2 That cosmoline will get into places you didn't even know existed and leak from that rifle for months if you don't.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Well I completely disassembled it and spent about 3 hours degreasing. Now to run as much ammo as I can through it in as little time as possible. Oh the pains I go through for a clean rifle
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good times View Post
Well I completely disassembled it and spent about 3 hours degreasing. Now to run as much ammo as I can through it in as little time as possible. Oh the pains I go through for a clean rifle
I dare you to shoot it so fast the wood starts on fire.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM

Its an sks shoot it till it fails and buy another why waste money on cleaning solvents and patches. LOL ( I am partly joking )