Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Reloading - Resizer Dies

There probably more types of sizer die features, but the only three with which I have some familiarity with are the "conventional", "bushing" and "collet".
CONVENTIONAL Sizer dies resize by "sqeezing the fired case/neck into a column just smaller than (SAAMI spec) chamber dimensions. Shoulders are "bumped" back to SAAMI specs for headspace. An expander button forces the neck back out a set amount on the up-stroke.
BUSHING sizer dies also resize by "squeezing" but have provision to use bushings that come in .001" increments which make it possible to choose the degree of neck resizing the reloader wants. Shoulders are left untouched. An expander button is also utilized on the upstroke, but reloaders who also neck turn can remove the expander button....
COLLET neck resizers "push" in on the neck (only) from all sides and force neck walls into a mandrel which is just smaller than caliber size. Shoulders are not bumped. Trimming is minimal.
Resizing die sets are typically classified as FULL LENGTH (which resizes the fired case all the way from the neck down to the base, or NECK SIZER (which resizes down to the neck/shoulder junction only. Either type also ejects the spent primer.
So, what features are "best" ...depends on what you want!
FULL LENGTH Conventional sizer dies are the most common. Case exteriors and inside necks must be lubed to prevent sticking. One downside to the full-length operation is that dimensions are usually smaller than actually required which tends to overwork the brass which can reduce case life. Also, since the die chamber is enclosed, the brass it displaces tends to "flow" towards the neck end which requires frequent trimming...this means the case wall thickness keeps getting thinnner each resize. Since the neck is resized a fixed amount, the wall thickness of different brands of brass is not taken into consideration and neck tension can get pretty high. Neck tension will also change as the neck walls become thinner after repeated reloadings. The bottom line with full length sizing is that most shooters do not reload enough for any problems to arise. The most common symptom if excessive reloading is a spllit neck...at which time all brass from that batch should be discarded.
FULL LENGTH sizing using a bushing to control the deree of neck resizing is a favorite of reloaders who want some control over neck tension. Cases still need to be lubed on the outside, but lube inside the neck may not be necessary as the neck is typically not reduced as much by using larger diameter bushings. Cases still require trimming.
NECK SIZING only with bushings is another option that many will argue is their "favorite" because only the neck is resized...which leaves the case body closer to the same diameter as the chamber...and reduces the headspace because the shoulder is not bumped back. Some lube may be required on the outside of the neck, and some may be required on the inside of the neck. Typically, little trimming is required. Neck sizers with bushings are my personal preference. I usually turn enough brass off the necks to make sure wall thicknesses are consistant..and when necks are not overly reduced in diameter, the expander button will barely even touch on the way out. Sometimes, I remove the expander button entirely, and control neck tension with the bushing. This also produces very little "runout".
COLLETT neck resizing is less popular because it seems a bit more difficult to control neck tension IMO. I have tried it, but considered it a bit of a hassle as I had to order several different mandrels to get neck tension where I wanted it. There are reloaders who have had great success with colletts..
Please chime in with the features you like.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Should also mention that not all sizing dies with work with all styles of action.

IN GENERAL....necksizing dies work well for bolt action rifles, generally not so well with semis and pump action....

IN GENERAL....FL sizing should be used for pump and semi-autos

LC
Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 PM

It is worth noting that it is wise to have a body die if you run a neck sizing die (I use Redding bushing neck dies) as you will eventually need to resize the body of the die so that it will just fit the chamber again.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 AM

I tend to neck size all my single shot and match ammo, but quite often FL size stuff that is going through a bolt action magazine gun.
I have four different brands of neck dies , and all have their advantages and disadvantages.
For the most ultimate long range accuracy I like Wilson hand dies, but Redding makes very fine dies as well.
Cat
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Default Small Base Dies?

Although a variation of FL must be mentioned; required for some semi auto rifles. My 300 WM also requires SB Dies; bolt closes on factory loads, will not close on standard FL sizing.
I generally FL size everything - with the exception of my 7mm mauser; just a partial resize with that one - not quite FL but not just a neck resize either. (die up about two turns off the shell holder)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:00 AM

I am also a fan of Redding neck bushing dies. I like the fact that I can control the neck tension, and the brass does get worked less, so it lasts longer.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It is worth noting that it is wise to have a body die if you run a neck sizing die (I use Redding bushing neck dies) as you will eventually need to resize the body of the die so that it will just fit the chamber again.
What exactly is the difference between using a body die and neck die in concert, versus a full length die? Do you use the body die every time you neck size or just if the neck sized cases wont chamber properly? Not understanding fully the differences here.........

Norm
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the difference between using a body die and neck die in concert, versus a full length die? Do you use the body die every time you neck size or just if the neck sized cases wont chamber properly? Not understanding fully the differences here.........
You only use the body die when the cases no longer chamber easily.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Does body die = fl sizing die? or is it a different type of die? I have never heard of a body die myself. If it is different why not use a FL sizing die? I think thats what Normanrd was asking...?

LC
Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
So if i understand correctly, you would neck size a small sample from the batch to prep and see if they chamber properly. If they do you are golden. If not you should use the body die and then neck size, or neck size and then use the body die?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Does body die = fl sizing die? or is it a different type of die? I have never heard of a body die myself. If it is different why not use a FL sizing die? I think thats what Normanrd was asking...?

LC
There is a full length , neck die and small base dies, I believe the "body" die is actually a full length die.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
There is a full length , neck die and small base dies, I believe the "body" die is actually a full length die.
OK....makes sense....thats what I was wondering. I have heard of neck, full length and small base....but never knew of a "body die", to me a "body die" would be the opposite of a neck die....which would make no sense.

LC
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Just in case you were wondering what a "body die" is....like I was

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Reddin...s/BodyDies.asp

LC
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
A body die is not really a FL die, it only bumps back the shoulder and squeezes the body a bit, it has no expander ball, or provisions for sizing the neck. You use the neck sizer,and if after a few firings, you notice that the cases don't chamber easily, you run them through the body die, then continue on using the neck sizer, until the cases once again don't chamber easily.

Quote:
No it isn't, unlike a FL die, it doesn't size the neck.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
A body die is not really a FL die, it only bumps back the shoulder and squeezes the body a bit, it has no expander ball, or provisions for sizing the neck. You use the neck sizer,and if after a few firings, you notice that the cases don't chamber easily, you run them through the body die, then continue on using the neck sizer, until the cases once again don't chamber easily.
Got it! I just found the link above it makes sense now. Basically it is just a more precise die to use in place of a FL Die when you need to bump the shoulder but you prefer to use the neck sizing die as well and not the FL die to do both at the same time?....yet another aspect to reloading!!

LC
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM

AHHHHH Eureka!!! Crystal clear now! Thanks for the tutleage Elkhunter11 and the rest of you as well. I finally think I understand the purpose for each and when to use each.

BTW, 260 Rem, these threads are great information tools! Thanks for initiating them.

Norm
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 PM

Back to top - winter reading
Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 AM

Little bit curious, if anyone has found the need, to use this type of sizing die from Larry Willis? Have to roll down the page to get to it, second item;
http://www.larrywillis.com/

Also wondering how it works, in comparison to the body dies, like the Redding, someone else pointed out?
I can't say, as I have encountered, the situation Willis makes his die for, yet.
Does the Redding body die accomplish the same purpose? The willis die apparently does not touch the shoulder.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM

BTT for newbie questions