Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Default 7MM Rem Mag info

I just purchased a used 7mm rem mag off a person on this site. Need some input on this from A/O members. It was supposed to be a Parker Hale, when I received it it does not say Parker hale anywhere on it. Looking at some sites there are a few posts that say it may be a clone that was made in the UK. It has Alpine Custom Stamped on the side of it. Has anyone ever heard of this or of there being a clone of Parker hales out there the gun looks Identical to a Parker Hale but A gent at Western Gun Parts didnt believe that Parker Hale made a Alpine Custom.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

If you bought it figuring it was a PH, because the ad said so, and it wasnt, and your not happy, see if he will take it back and refund you the money. If he wont, leave a neg trader rating.

If you like the gun and are happy with the price you paid, put some rounds through it.

It is a mauser action which is great so it should be a good hunting gun. The parker hales i have had were good guns. Sometimes I had problems with bolt to scope clearence but otherwise they were trouble free.

I cant comment on who actually built the APline Custom as I dont know. edit : Looks like the Parker Hales I have seen.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 02-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM

I would suggest posting some pictures of said firearm in this thread. That will help you get some help!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM

From what I re call Alpine was like PH's low end branding.

I'm not sure the operable differences, but some years back I heard the Alpine 4 land barrels had a good reputation for accuracy.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Default Pics

Will try to see if I can get pics off of the add that the gun was posted for sale with
Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Here is the link to the ad.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167127

Also, looks like the Alpine is a PH but sold as an economy rifle.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Default link

Thanks Bound

Really not sure I dont mind if is a descent gun just dont like being told one thing and getting another is all
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_reid View Post
Thanks Bound

Really not sure I dont mind if is a descent gun just dont like being told one thing and getting another is all
The ad said it was a Parker Hale Alpine. Sounds like you got what you paid for.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Default 7mm ammo

Was just curious as it does not have Parker Hale on it anywhere
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_reid View Post
Was just curious as it does not have Parker Hale on it anywhere
I would think that if it was somehow a conterfiet they would have stamped parker Hale on it, not "Alpine". But it's a nice looking rifle and you got it for a good price. Hope it's a shooter! Enjoy.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Default 7mm ammo

Thanks take care
Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM

i have one ,,,and mine doesnt say Parker Hale any wheres either at least urs says Alpine ,,,
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I had one and it only said parker hale on the mag.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Does it have Model 81 anywhere. Mod 81 Classic in one of my Shooters Bible is the only PH to list 7MM Mag. A lot of these were brought in by different importers and badged differently. ie tradewinds or others.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Mine was cil
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM

Mine looked just like yours, box said Parker Hale Safari. 7mm rem mag. Awesome trigger, none of the moose or elk asked for a second opinion, they just fell. Enjoy it. Mine loved 160 grain Speer Grand Slams in front of 60 grains of IMR4831. I finally shot it out and now shoot same in M77 Ruger M2 stainless.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Parker Hale

Had a clone to it in 30-06. It was sold to me as a Parker Hale 1200. No markings. Good rifle. Detachable mag.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Common business in the Uk, building and customizing cheap hunting rifles. Probably has a Spanish Santa Barbara Mauser action, no matter what the manufacturer. If it shoots well, be happy.

Grizz
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM

If for some reason this doesn't shoot I will give you what you paid. Need a donor action for a 458 Win Mag project. Make sure you get someone to check it before you give up on it. Common problem - barrel crown damage from dust and moisture.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Default 7mm ammo

Will do Im just waiting for my scope to get here from Manitoba still havent heard if he has mailed it sent the check this last Monday then I just have to find bases for it and mount it then try it out and a WBY Vaqnguard 7mm that I bought about 2 months ago topped it with a Burris Landmark 11 3x9x40 see which one I like better and sell the other one. I will let you know the action on this one is nice and smooth the only reason I made the post was that I was told it was a P-h but it doesnt have it anywhere and has a built in floor plate not a clip
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Default Magazine

As mentioned mine was sold as a Parker Hale 1200 with a detachable magazine but there were less expensive models offered at the time with hinged floorplates. They may have been the so called "Alpine" models. These Santa Barbara ,(made in Spain) actions are rugged and dependable Mauser 98 actions. The only somewhat downside were the triggers which were once noted as "Santa Barbaric". They should not be adjusted to less than three pounds. Should you feel you want to adjust it then ensure your adjustment is safe by securing the barrel in a padded vise, cocking the action and rapping the side of the receiver with a nylon hammer firmly a half dozen times to simulate dropping or banging your rifle accidentally. If it is adjusted outside of it's design limits it will release the firing pin. This is probably a good practice for any hunting rifle used in the field.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Precisionshooter

It may have been made for "Alpine" by Parker Hale. If it were marketed by Parker Hale I am pretty sure is would have their name - Parker Hale. It is a commercial mauser which is stiffer then the old military versions. If the receiver and barrel do not have Parker Hale on it, it would not have been sold as such at a retail outlet.

Tikka made rifles for Ithaca which were sold in the USA as Ithaca rifles (LSA **) (no tikka stamped on the rifle). When rifle side of Ithaca went belly up, Tikka took actions with Ithaca model numbers and milled them off, then restamped with their model numbers. Excellent rifles by either.

Probably imported in the USA by a company who had it branded "ALPINE." Might just be made by parker hale.

Did you try googling "ALPINE RIFLES?"

If my early days my instructor (Ralph Olson) were still alive (master gunsmith), he would likely have the full details. Perhaps our wise old timer "Leeper" can chime in with some history.

Last edited by Precisionshooter; 02-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.