Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM

Default Firearm Storage Opinions - In the Garage?

Just looking for some opinions (must be crazy to ask for that around here!! )

Bought a new place, building a large detached garage. Don't really have a nice room to store the firearms in the new house so thinking about picking up a larger safe and bolting it to the wall and floor and storing them in the new garage. Note, everything is non restricted and garage will be heated and I live pretty safe neighbourhood...... knock on wood!

Would you be comfortable with this arrangement?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Whether we would be comfortable is one thing. Whether the authorities would consider your detached garage part of your residence and hence a safe and legal storage option is another. I'd ask.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM

No problem, it's locked and secured, same as a vehicle.
Cat
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Kind of what I thought Cat, but there is nothing the matter with some due diligence. I may ask but am pretty confident there are no legal issues. No where does it mention that it must be a residence.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No problem, it's locked and secured, same as a vehicle.
Cat

So Cat, does that mean I can permamently store firearms and ammo in my vehicle? Not that I'd want to for security reasons, but...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Nowhere in the firearms act does it say you have to store non restricted firearms in your residence.

You could store them in a storage unit, or, yes a vehicle. Just remember when you're storing in a vehicle, you have to meet the requirements for storage, not transport.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So Cat, does that mean I can permamently store firearms and ammo in my vehicle? Not that I'd want to for security reasons, but...
I have never seen a time limit on storing firearms in a vehicle.
I keep a gun in my truck for weeks at a time.
Cat
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never seen a time limit on storing firearms in a vehicle.
I keep a gun in my truck for weeks at a time.
Cat
good to know
Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Well it sounds like it's not a big deal. This might tempt me to start reloading since I'd now have some room. Thanks for the opinions and info fellas.

Kawibunga
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM

I used to store my guns in the garage in my gun case. After a couple years I noticed that they rust more this way. I ended up taking the in the house after that and have not had a problem.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM

I keep some silica packs in my cases and in my gun locker, nevr saw a problem if the heat is constant, but f the heat is off for any length f time, then brought back up to room temps, then shut off again, yup, everything rusts!!
Cat
Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Default What safe are you going to buy?

Buy a nice one. They fit in many rooms in the house and fit the decore. Custom paint jobs even hide them from cruising eyes. The wives walkin closet works really well. LOL
Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Whether we would be comfortable is one thing. Whether the authorities would consider your detached garage part of your residence and hence a safe and legal storage option is another. I'd ask.
Have you actually read and understood the requirements (for storage). Or are you simply being difficult, for the sake of being difficult ?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM

If it is a heated garage tha you plan to park in, I would not store your rifles..too much moisture in winter with snow etc melting off vehicles would likely ause premature rust.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
If it is a heated garage tha you plan to park in, I would not store your rifles..too much moisture in winter with snow etc melting off vehicles would likely ause premature rust.
Something to think about for sure.....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM

Corey just beat me, if its going to have vehicles coming in out of the snow or rain the don't bother unless you're going to have absurd dehumidification measures in the safe. For me it would be a little counterproductive anyways (at least once I build my garage that is) as I would have all the tools necessary to breach the safe just a few feet away. Not too many safes resist a 7" grinder or 12" hand held cut-off saw, etc, etc.
If its a garage full of golf clubs and hockey equipment with only elementary tools that aspect wouldn't be such an issue.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM

Are you simply wanting to comply with regs, or are you trying to secure something valuable to yourself?

As other have posted garage environments are far from firearm friendly, secondly a search of garage vs home B&E's may show garage especially detached are victimized at a higher rate than homes.

Decide from facts and observations, only.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 PM

If thieves want to get at something it doesn't matter what it is in, be it the home, or garage.
if they breach the security system, they have all kinds of time to get at something.
My guns don't rust , be they in my garage, my basement, or my bed room, but I have friends who have rust issues in all those places.
Cat
Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Default Storage options

Would any of you consider storing your firearms in an indoor climate controlled self storage facility? If so, what would you be willing to pay??
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Banned

For a definition of residence could it not be the property, as long as it in one continues location?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
For a definition of residence could it not be the property, as long as it in one continues location?
Irrelevant. Residence is not a requirement.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 AM

Default Storage

My experience says keep em in the house I had mine in a steel cabinet locked up in the garage went to Vancouver for Sept long weekend came home to an open side door and 43 rifles gone it sucks
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 AM

Default storage

3 not 43 lol sorry
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM

Lived in this neighbourhood 10 plus years, I don't think there's a huge discrepancy between house and garage B&E, I could be wrong though. May install a security system anyway due to my tools, 3 atv's and a motorcycle all being in there.

As for climate control I don't think that's something I can avoid as I'd like to have my pickup in there over winter. I like Cat's idea about silica beads. Likely have to be more diligent about that light oil coating to avoid rust..... but my go to rifle is a bubba'd Lee Enfield so I'm certainly no collector of high end firearms.

Appreciate the opinions everyone, but in my mind right now the advantages and convenience out weigh the risks.

Thanks