Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Default I am hooked!!!

Just reloaded my first 5 rounds ever .204 cal and im hooked I pulled the first 2 shots was a bit nervous but once I setteld in I fired a 3 shot group that beats any grouping with factory ammo that my rem 700 vtr has ever shot. SO im really impressed its a minimum 27 gr varget load. What do I do now seems like a good load but I wanna tinker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0036.jpg (18.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM

If you want to tinker google "optimal charge weight" for reloading there is an interesting way to load to get the most out of the bullet and powder combo of your choice. This will help find the best grouping load with some decent velocity to boot!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

That low shot, looks like you might have squeezed the rear bag which brings up your stock thus pulls your muzzle down. It's happened to me many times until someone brought it to my attention

As far as the load goes, I would shoot it again until you can settle in and get rid of the flyers. Once you accomplish that, then tweak the load. Good shooting though.

Last edited by gitrdun; 02-16-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Never used a rear bag those were shot using a fence rail as a rest and yeah will shoot it again. Im thinking I should invest in some bags though.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy403 View Post
Never used a rear bag those were shot using a fence rail as a rest and yeah will shoot it again. Im thinking I should invest in some bags though.
Yup. invest in a proper fron rest with bag and a rear bag. You need to shoot from a proper bench in order to see what your rifle and load is capable of. Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. Just a heads up though it's addicting and you'll be spending more on gear and components than your ever did on ammo.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM

What do you do now? Oh boy where to start. Tinker with the load and rifle you have. Get that accomplished.

Next you get bored and you start lusting after another gun. You shake, you dream, you scheme, you sell something to buy another one. By the time the paper work is done, you have cruised the reloading shelf for the dies, brass, and pills, setting them on the counter beside your new purchase. Then it is home to get your reloading fix. You work up different loads then off to the range to break in your new gun. Tinker some more till you are satisfied.

Repeat the above step.

We do have a RA (Reloaders Anon) that meets in a dark corner of the nearest sports store parking lot. You will recognize the members because they will have the same haggard look you see in the mirror every morning. Meeting starts with coffee and donuts.

"I am so and so and I am a reloading junkie. Does anyone have a good load for such and such? "

There is also a support group for those loved ones around us but it is more expensive than our habit. It is called shopping. They feel neglected and try to fill the void in their life with material things. They don't understand the satisfaction we get from a superb load and nice grouping. That fills the void in our lives.

Have fun.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.