Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Default Barrel length

Why do you suppose it's so hard to find production rifles in popular game hunting calibers with 24" barrels ( other than Remington)? Just looked through Browning's website for an X Bolt with a 24" barrel. Nothing but a 25-06 and a few large magnums. Savage and Ruger are almost the same. Lot's of 22"s, some 26"s and a few 23"s. I just like to think you'd get a bit better performance from a 24" barrel over a shorter one, and that 26" is just too long and heavy to pack around lots. I'd like to hear some opinions. Might be more fun than reading about someone's favorite sling swivel studs.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM

It's all about balance for me, the added velocity in a few inches means nothing for my hunting rifles, but if the gun balances better with a bit longer barrel then I'm into it.
Cat
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It's all about balance for me, the added velocity in a few inches means nothing for my hunting rifles, but if the gun balances better with a bit longer barrel then I'm into it.
Cat
What 24" rifles feel balanced to you?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM

I've hunted with a 24" Winchester 70XTR and a 24" Rem. 700 CDL and felt comfortable shooting and packing them. I want to get a 270 Win. in a 24" model or a 30-06 and Remington has about the only 24" model.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 PM

If you want a well balanced rifle with a 24-28" barrel get a single shot
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Hello Everyone. I'm new to the forum. I live in Calgary. I am a fullbore target shooter, and hunter. I enjoy firearms.
I recently purchased a Savage Alaskan Brush Hunter in .338 Winchester Magnum. The gun sports a medium-weight, 18 inch stainless steel barrel with iron sights. It weighs 7.6 pounds, and has good fore end weight. I took it to the CDTS range a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised by the readings I got on my chronograph. I was shooting Hornady 225 grain Superformance Interbond ammo. The cartridge box states a muzzle velocity of 2840 fps. I assume that figure was derived from a 24" test barrel. The first round through my chrono clocked 2800 fps. I was pleasantly surprised, and I assume most of the powder was burned in that short barrel. Accuracy was excellent. Functioning was flawless. The trigger is great. It must have a tight bore to get that velocity.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
What 24" rifles feel balanced to you?
Many single shots balance better for me with a 24' barrel.
Most bolt actions , I like a 22" , depending on the weight of the action
Cat
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM

what about Weatherby? unless its a Mark V or the carbine they're 24"s.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Didn't mean to hijack. Just trying to contribute to the discussion.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
what about Weatherby? unless its a Mark V or the carbine they're 24"s.
You're right. Hadn't thought of Weatherby. Maybe... The Vanguards don't look bad. Why do you suppose so many Weatherbys are in 24" while almost everyone else doesn't do that?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Weatherby has always been about high velocity, hence longer barrels.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM

I always ignored Weatherby 'cause I don't care for that Monte Carlo thing, but it might grow on me...Sure they're good rifles.Might think about a 30-06 Stainless synthetic.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemarmot View Post
Hello Everyone. I'm new to the forum. I live in Calgary. I am a fullbore target shooter, and hunter. I enjoy firearms.
I recently purchased a Savage Alaskan Brush Hunter in .338 Winchester Magnum. The gun sports a medium-weight, 18 inch stainless steel barrel with iron sights. It weighs 7.6 pounds, and has good fore end weight. I took it to the CDTS range a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised by the readings I got on my chronograph. I was shooting Hornady 225 grain Superformance Interbond ammo. The cartridge box states a muzzle velocity of 2840 fps. I assume that figure was derived from a 24" test barrel. The first round through my chrono clocked 2800 fps. I was pleasantly surprised, and I assume most of the powder was burned in that short barrel. Accuracy was excellent. Functioning was flawless. The trigger is great. It must have a tight bore to get that velocity.
Welcome to the Forum. Short barrels scrub less velocity as bullet weights increase in my experience. How does Fullbore target shooting differ from F-class?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Welcome to the Forum. Short barrels scrub less velocity as bullet weights increase in my experience. How does Fullbore target shooting differ from F-class?
Smallbore position shooting and prone ( English match) shooting is done with .22lr match rifles, Full bore, which is done with center fire rifles at one time incorporated service rifle as well as civilian shooting with irons and sling, lying prone, Dale.
The distances are the same as they are in Fclass, but the target scoring rings are a but different.
In the early 90's (IIRC), Canadian George Farquarson decided to try and get a movement going so older shooters with eyesight problems could still enjoy shooting fullbore compeition, but using scopes and a rest instead of slings and irons.

It took more a few years BTW, for the scoped shooters to catch up to the irons guys in scoring, but a modern Fclass rifle score is higher these days with the newer optics technology that is available.
I still much prefer shooting my palma match rifles and my Enfield with sling 'n' irons however!
Now back to our regular programming !!
Cat
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM

What catnthehat said.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 AM

TC Icon's come with a 24 inch barrel, so does the Cooper in my case.