Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of stillwater trout fishery would you prefer at your favourite lake?
C&R with the chance of catching trout up to 25" 112 42.75%
Limit of 1 under 18" with a good chance of fish over 22" 47 17.94%
Limit of 1 over 18" with a good chance of fish over 20" 38 14.50%
Limit of 3 any size with a good chance of fish over 16" 49 18.70%
Limit of 5 any size with a good chance of fish over 12" 16 6.11%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Everything that needed to be said has been said. To those of you that think that it's okay to conduct province wide campaigns to place restrictions on Alberta water bodies, despite what the users of the lake want, in order to make it easier for you to catch big fish I leave you with these quotes..........

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish." Sparse Grey Hackle

"It is not how abundant nor how considerable our catch be, but rather to the sport, and manner in which our quarry, the noble trout is angled."-J.B. Martin

"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago." Zane Grey

"The lake's too far, the lake's fished out and there are no big fish in the lake are all excuses used by poor and lazy anglers." Hunterdave 2011

Hunterdave out...........
Thank God! Does that mean he's done with this Thread?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Default Poll Results

What is all this inane chatter?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Everything that needed to be said has been said. Hunterdave out...........
Get a grip. Stocked trout, good lord. You think we were debating the dangers of nuclear power here. You've got your ball and now your headed the right direction... bye
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
1 "Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish." Sparse Grey Hackle

2 "It is not how abundant nor how considerable our catch be, but rather to the sport, and manner in which our quarry, the noble trout is angled."-J.B. Martin

3 "If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago." Zane Grey

4 "The lake's too far, the lake's fished out and there are no big fish in the lake are all excuses used by poor and lazy anglers." Hunterdave 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhuikFY1Pg Here is a little music to listen to while you decide...

Which of these statements of Dave's do not belong.

LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Lets see in my Club demographics of club on anglers proficiency

500 members plus

First 100 very little
350 some but like just catching fish and eating meat hunters
35 good anglers want nice size but will do catch and release sometimes Quality
10 anglers very good do mostly catch and release only want big fish..ethics
5 key in on only huge fish Masters/World Class anglers

so when you think of these numbers ask yourself are you the majority

and if you ask all those anglers if the wanted to catch a bigger fish and had no changes to the current regs your answer would be yes yes yes :

was going to use a yellow sign but i caught my self now that is my opinion on my club and you ask me why i stick up for the meat hunters..

i am one of the 5.... David

Last edited by Speckle55; 04-01-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Lets see in my Club demographics of club on anglers proficiency

500 members plus

First 100 very little
350 some but like just catching fish and eating meat hunters
35 good anglers want nice size but will do catch and release sometimes Quality
10 anglers very good do mostly catch and release only want big fish..ethics
5 key in on only huge fish Masters/World Class anglers

so when you think of these numbers ask yourself are you the majority

and if you ask all those anglers if the wanted to catch a bigger fish and had no changes to the current regs your answer would be yes yes yes :

was going to use a yellow sign but i caught my self now that is my opinion on my club and you ask me why i stick up for the meat hunters..

i am one of the 5.... David
Send them all an email.

Ask them this simple question.

If you had a choice would you rather fish for stocked rainbow trout that are:

1) 9-12 inches long average 10 inches.

2) 12-25 inches long average 16 inches.

Then tell us what they actually say versus what you assume they would say.

I double dare you!

Cheers

Sun
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Sun i answered in post yes yes yes but they want to use bait catch 5 and kill 5 and they don,t want to do any work to get them that big

so get the Alberta trout Farms/Hatchery to stock 24" rainbows in the all the rainbow Lakes in Alberta and have no changes to the regulations ...

do you want that ?? i will ask my members if they want that ....?

HHHMmmmmm i wonder what the poll will show?.. no David no yellow posts
Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Sun i answered in post yes yes yes but they want to use bait catch 5 and kill 5 and they don,t want to do any work to get them that big

so get the Alberta trout Farms/Hatchery to stock 24" rainbows in the all the rainbow Lakes in Alberta and have no changes to the regulations ...

do you want that ?? i will ask my members if they want that ....?

HHHMmmmmm i wonder what the poll will show?.. no David no yellow posts
You have to ask them up front and not assume you know what they all want. You are also lucky to be in an area with better than average fishing...which you still do not find good enough to fish yourself. Once people see better...like yourself...they demand better.

Put that question up on a poll on your F&G website...

If you had a choice would you rather fish for stocked rainbow trout that are:

1) 9-12 inches long average 10 inches.

2) 12-25 inches long average 16 inches.

If they all say option 1...that would be very telling.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM

As per usual Speck deflects/misdirects a question....
Or answers the Q with a Q....
I'm almost 100% sure he is a politician....

Or a lawyer
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM

i just got a hot tip for some trout fishing 2 hours from cowtown....who's in?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i need job...part time...here are my demands. Sorry not able to negotiate terms are firm.
1-cant work in the winter
2-cant work if i stay up too late watching T.V. us old guys need sleep
3-corner office with lots of windows
4-office must have 60 inch T.V. and a comfie lazy boy
5- secretary must like creepy old men
6-option to not come to work as my choice
7-company truck with gas card
8-tackle allowance
9-private parking spot...indoors
10-free paid lunches
11-dedicated computer for AO use

anyone have anything for me pm me asap

thanks
You should work for Rapala,,, I've got an idea that I pitched last week that's even better than your demands and it's being mulled over. If Harper gets back in, his budget will go through and I will instantly be out of work,,, so my back-up plan has Chubdarter written all over it. I'll write you a PM later, as I have to go check on something today.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhuikFY1Pg Here is a little music to listen to while you decide...

Which of these statements of Dave's do not belong.

LOL
AOF has been brought to you by the number 2 and the letter Eh!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Spec

How would you solve pressure problems on water bodies close to larger centers like Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge?

Can there be good average sizes(please take us at our word when we say the average size here is very low-10 to certainly not more then 12" average)?

Again, this is not Hinton waters. Say waters south of Calgary.

Ask your Bio up there also, his opinion would be welcome as well.

If you have any easy fixes we would be most interested.

Thanks spec, look forward to your reply.

ps ask your bio if reg changes -size, limits and such would work.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the poll Bigtoad!

Good stuff.

Clive
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I wonder if Bigtoad is still reading?

Are you here Bigtoad? BIG TOAD???? EARTH TO BIG TOAD???

Being his thread, he should give a run down.
I've been gone for a week... should take me another solid week to catch up on what I've missed.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
I've been gone for a week... should take me another solid week to catch up on what I've missed.

Cheers.
Save yourself the time Bigtoad as there is nothing new. It is just the same arguments and incapability to see what is relevant. I do see an almost unanimous agreement that some simple regulation changes could improve our fisheries though.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Save yourself the time Bigtoad as there is nothing new. It is just the same arguments and incapability to see what is relevant. I do see an almost unanimous agreement that some simple regulation changes could improve our fisheries though.
Not quite; my Father, who might I add, has forearms that would make Popeye blush (Boilermaker/welder 50 years),,, was so happy to hear about a local body of water having a change in regs that spittle spat across the room today. I always thought of him as Joe Redneck,,,, though once again, if you were near him with a problematic hook extraction, he was known as Doctor ________. "If you need to rease let me",,, he's swift and relatively painless,,,, and ifyou pick up a pike by the eyes, he'll ripppp into you and likle I said,,,, 50 years a welder.

As much as he likes eating, he likes releasing , and without judgement. BUT? explaining this thread,,,, he sides with Hunter Dave about jamming rules down the fisherfolks thoats from afar,,, i.e., My Dad will never vote on a fishery he never fishes but compeltely agrees with sound management.

And finally, he thinks you, me and anyone else on an Internet site are chumps.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
.....explaining this thread,,,, he sides with Hunter Dave about jamming rules down the fisherfolks thoats from afar,,, i.e., My Dad will never vote on a fishery he never fishes but compeltely agrees with sound management.

Exactly what all of my buddies think too.........including the chump part.

Okay, now I'm done.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Exactly what all of my buddies think too.........including the chump part.

Okay, now I'm done.
buy an auger Dave?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

You'l be back
HD is back lol
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Not quite; my Father, who might I add, has forearms that would make Popeye blush (Boilermaker/welder 50 years),,, was so happy to hear about a local body of water having a change in regs that spittle spat across the room today. I always thought of him as Joe Redneck,,,, though once again, if you were near him with a problematic hook extraction, he was known as Doctor ________. "If you need to rease let me",,, he's swift and relatively painless,,,, and ifyou pick up a pike by the eyes, he'll ripppp into you and likle I said,,,, 50 years a welder.

As much as he likes eating, he likes releasing , and without judgement. BUT? explaining this thread,,,, he sides with Hunter Dave about jamming rules down the fisherfolks thoats from afar,,, i.e., My Dad will never vote on a fishery he never fishes but compeltely agrees with sound management.

Sounds like he likes the regulation changes in the lakes HE fishes. That is an interesting point to note...probably just like Davey's buddies.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Your dad sounds like an all round rock solid dude. However should we have rules or no rules? Surely we all agree that complete fishing anarchy would be detremental to the pastime of fishing. Just like in society as a whole we all apreciate some rules. This is the fear mongering argument again. There is not some hidden agenda of elite fisherman who want everything for them selves and shut out Joe Alberta. I am Joe Alberta. We are all Joe Alberta and we would all benefit by some tweaking of the rules already in place. Asking for a slightly delayed harvest on some waters surely not the end of fishing as we know it. Sheesh. The rules are there to help us not steal our freedom.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

I have the solution to all this hullabaloo. Introduce Pike with machine guns... Problem solved.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
here's my rundown of this long post

Dave wants to keep and eat a few small trout...and thats perfectly fine that previlage should be open to all Albertans.
No one can say he should go to Safeway.....he is doing some thing that pleases him and that should be respected.
No one can say...why do you want to eat a muddy trout? maybe he is a better cook than you are.
He states more bigger fish will make it easier.....well of course it will....the chances of taking home a girl from the bar greatly increases with the number of girls at the bar....simple math.

The oppositon wants a improved fishery....hey no forward thinking person can deny the bigger and better theory.

Ive ruffled a few feathers with me asking what have our Bio's been doing.....i accept the excuses but by accepting the excuses then our problem is deeper than a simple fix. Without pointing fingers no one is accountable....its sadly part of the process of improvement.

Sun asked us to look at other fishery issues also.....this may have sparked my deeper interest and respect for the arguement.
Case in point...my first love is walleyes...my favorite lake is Travers
This year i only caught 3 walleye over 9lbs....but i caught ALOT of non legal walleye. I had some diffculties finding big walleye yet every where i fished there were tons of cigars. Even the legal fish were on the light side for their length.
Yes i know the issues are different.....but one must ask is there enough food....should the regs change to allow some harvesting of walleye?

Would i want to go to my favorite lake with NO chance of a big walleye....no fricken way!!!!
p.s. i dont kill the big females..its more the challenge than the killing
Would i try and do something.....yes
I think thats what the one side is argueing...and i respect that.

I always thought i was happy with the fact i regularly caught big eyes in Travers....would i want my chances to increase from 13lb walleye to 20 lb walleye.....H E double hockey sticks...YES......and still have the chance to eat a few small fish once and awhile....YES again now im in the bonus round.

Change is hard for some of us old fuggs....but i cant deny first hand we need some tweaking.

Some how some way we need to have smething for every type of fisherman in Alberta.
I know this is an older post (I've been on spring break for a week) but I have to agree with you Chubb, which I don't know I would have thought possible at the beginning.

I really think for SOME stocked trout lakes that a 1 or 2 under 18" or 20" would be a really good way to go. There isn't one lake in AB that has regs like this ,yet this is how the Manitoba Parkland is mostly set up. It allows for some good sized fish to harvested yet leaves the big boys in there to play. Even Dave might agree to something like this?

I suggested to the regional biologist that Beaver Lake should be changed from 1 over and 1 under 40cm to just 1 under 40cm because it has so much angling pressure and most fishermen there don't go there to keep a lot of fish, but go for the chance at a big one. Meaning, I don't think there would be a huge uproar with a minor tweak in regs on Beaver.

I went to Beaver ice fishing on Sunday and the C.O. was there checking on sizes caught, kept, and released as well as if the adipose fins were clipped or not. I can only hope they are using this information to figure out how well the current regs and stocking numbers are working. I think they will find overall size is down and very few big fish remain. I stomach pumped several and all were totally empty. Most fish were 12-14 with a couple pushing 18 which isn't much, if any, better than a put and take lake. They really need to stock less fish and try out the 1 under 18" or 20" reg and see what happens. At least they were collecting data, which is a step in the right direction.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bigtoad; 04-05-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM

why cant i find Police lake in the specific listings in the Regs?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Police in PP1 zone:

Police (Outpost) Lake (8-1-26-W4)
Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Police in PP1 zone:

Police (Outpost) Lake (8-1-26-W4)
Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
thanks GS.....stupid me read ES1 10 times.....gotta quit looking at the map for reference
Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Page 51 regs in light blue
Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

so if the ice is safe im allowed to ice fish it?

why would there be a limit on the pike?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM

some people like Pike to eat more so than Trout to eat ... regs say 3 so 3 share the bounty