Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Sure you are. You are demonstrating a complete lack of understanding on how firearms actually work.
Not a lack of understanding at all just the opposite, one end, the end we all should respect completely,,if not, will get you in the end....or others.

But to each their own. Just mentioned in the initial post something that stood out as a potential, miss a step and the last step, something that is habit forming will or can get you in the end, a step I leave out.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I prevent snow or mud or other obstructions by taping over the muzzle. If I have to check the crown, I verify the chamber is empty, then remove the bolt, then look at the muzzle. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
Spot on but I remove the bolt in this case and eyeball the barrel from the breach.
Tape the muzzle or those little thumb condoms, small balloon works too.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Spot on but I remove the bolt in this case and eyeball the barrel from the breach.
Tape the muzzle or those little thumb condoms, small balloon works too.
How do you check the crown by looking from the breach ?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I've eyeballed bores many, many times. If the bolt is open or removed a rifle cannot fire. No matter how left wing you are.
Exactly, a little light coming in the action helps with the examination anyways. I cant say I've ever examined a bore with the action closed.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
How do you check the crown by looking from the breach ?
The crown area can be seen from the side, slightly higher than the rifle bore, not looking directly down, rotate the rifle to see the entire circumference.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Not a lack of understanding at all just the opposite, one end, the end we all should respect completely,,if not, will get you in the end....or others.

But to each their own. Just mentioned in the initial post something that stood out as a potential, miss a step and the last step, something that is habit forming will or can get you in the end, a step I leave out.
When you are in a hole the first thing you should do is stop digging.

A piece of pipe may very well get you (or others) in the end OR you may even be strangled by the very bore snake you carry everywhere to protect yourself from pipe. It is a billion times more likely you will meet your demise from something much more sinister like heart failure AND you could greatly reduce this risk by limiting your intake of life threatening foods.

The reason that people are so against your original post is not what is stated but the fear it creates. Antis use this same argument to limit our recreational enjoyment of firearms. "Handguns are obviously too dangerous for the average moron to carry so we ban or extremely restrict the carry of them" next came those scary black guns some of which are banned or restricted on colour alone.

You are adding fuel to the fire by suggesting that a barrel, basically a piece of pipe, is so dangerous that we shouldn't even be looking at it or "It will get us in the end". Obviously this would be a terrifying thought for a non hunter/shooter, is completely false and does nothing to promote our sports.

The other day I grabbed an uncased Beretta OU that I had just purchased out of the back of my car. Holding the barrel, in an open position I put the gun over my shoulder, grabbed my brief case and headed for the house. There was a woman standing on the side walk that looked so frightened I thought see was going to run screaming. It is ridiculous liberal rhetoric like you are spreading here that creates this tension between gun owners and non gun owners AND if left unchecked is the biggest threat to gun ownership for future generations.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Also, a thought here is that to each their own. Some prove the gun safe very carefully then look down the barrel. I do. Others won't ever look down the barrel because they don't trust themselves to have properly proved it safe or are concerned with one day missing a step.

Neither are necessarily wrong. Do what works for you, be absolutely safe, and carry on.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Also, a thought here is that to each their own. Some prove the gun safe very carefully then look down the barrel. I do. Others won't ever look down the barrel because they don't trust themselves to have properly proved it safe or are concerned with one day missing a step.

Neither are necessarily wrong. Do what works for you, be absolutely safe, and carry on.
No, one is completely and totally wrong.

If you don't trust yourself to prove a firearm safe and/or you are too paranoid to inspect that the bore of your firearm is free of obstruction, you should not own or handle firearms.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

If you don't trust yourself to prove a firearm safe and/or you are too paranoid to inspect that the bore of your firearm is free of obstruction, you should not own or handle firearms.
+1. If you are too paranoid to look down the bore after proving an empty chamber, perhaps you should take up another hobby. There is a huge difference between respecting firearms, and being afraid of them.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
+1. If you are too paranoid to look down the bore after proving an empty chamber, perhaps you should take up another hobby. There is a huge difference between respecting firearms, and being afraid of them.
x3 100 percent.IT'S piece of steel with nothing in it after you pull the bolt and see for yourself.If that bothers you than stay away from others with any firearm including yourself.
Paranoia can be very dangerous if not focused on the task at hand.Nothing wrong with being careful cause you have to be,but how much care is needed to empty your gun and check the barrel .
Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Maybe we can all agree this is how you do not check the barrel of a shotgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9umwdE8VoY
Old 10-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:

A piece of pipe may very well get you (or others) in the end OR you may even be strangled by the very bore snake you carry everywhere to protect yourself from pipe. It is a billion times more likely you will meet your demise from something much more sinister like heart failure AND you could greatly reduce this risk by limiting your intake of life threatening foods.

The reason that people are so against your original post is not what is stated but the fear it creates. Antis use this same argument to limit our recreational enjoyment of firearms. "Handguns are obviously too dangerous for the average moron to carry so we ban or extremely restrict the carry of them" next came those scary black guns some of which are banned or restricted on colour alone.

You are adding fuel to the fire by suggesting that a barrel, basically a piece of pipe, is so dangerous that we shouldn't even be looking at it or "It will get us in the end". Obviously this would be a terrifying thought for a non hunter/shooter, is completely false and does nothing to promote our sports.

The other day I grabbed an uncased Beretta OU that I had just purchased out of the back of my car. Holding the barrel, in an open position I put the gun over my shoulder, grabbed my brief case and headed for the house. There was a woman standing on the side walk that looked so frightened I thought see was going to run screaming. It is ridiculous liberal rhetoric like you are spreading here that creates this tension between gun owners and non gun owners AND if left unchecked is the biggest threat to gun ownership for future generations.
Very nicely said.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:

All it was is an observation that during a hunt the two fellas cleared the weapon to get over the fence on the other side they resumed the hunt...I stated that in the excited of clearing the weapon in this situation creates a possibility to miss a step along the way is all in which the final step may be the last.
I personally don't do it but if other do so be it.

Now regarding your handling of your beretta....na forget it....carry on.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Please elaborate, let the paranoia flow out of you.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Yes please elaborate.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:

X4
Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
All it was is an observation that during a hunt the two fellas cleared the weapon to get over the fence on the other side they resumed the hunt...I stated that in the excited of clearing the weapon in this situation creates a possibility to miss a step along the way is all in which the final step may be the last.
I personally don't do it but if other do so be it.

If someone is getting that "excited" clearing a weapon that they are unable to clear it properly before proceeding with whatever their next intended task is (climbing over a fence, handing your rifle over to your buddy, cleaning etc) you shouldn't be around fireams.

Most consumer arms are quite simple in their function to properly make safe. This shouldn't excite you so much that you skip simple steps (most common sporting arms take only 3 steps to clear.)

Once your firearm is clear the worst thing it'll do to you is maybe pinch your finger or if you drop it on your toe or it slides off a fence post and dings you in the head while you crawl under....

Cartridges don't magically appear in magazines that have been properly emptied, or breaches that have been properly cleared, or chambers that have been properly cleared.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I wonder if that bore snake comes with eyes?
it's not an actual snake it's a cylindrical tube of fabric sewn to a string with a weight on one end. most incorporate a brass brush and absorbent material inside the tube of fabric.

you pull it through the barrel to "clean" the firearm
Old 10-05-2017, 09:36 AM

The rule of keeping body parts from in front of the muzzle originated in the muzzle loader days. Loading a flintlock with the hammer cocked could result with a discharge even with no priming powder in the pan ( going off half cocked) loading a cannon was a dangerous job a small spark from a previous shot could set off an unintentional discharge.

Modern firearms can easily be proven safe by checking the chamber.

Interesting tidbit
"Ready aim fire" was actually "ready level fire" because an undersized ball was dropped down a smoothbore musket on top of the powder charge, the musket was held at an upward angle until it was ready to fire to prevent the ball from rolling out of the barrel.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

That "going off half cocked" I would stay is still an issue today, for some.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:39 PM

Wink

Quote:
Your baiting me.....

The masses have spoken....

Enjoy the fall season, be safe, keep your powder dry, wind in Your face and aim true.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
it's not an actual snake it's a cylindrical tube of fabric sewn to a string with a weight on one end. most incorporate a brass brush and absorbent material inside the tube of fabric.

Shhhhhh don't leak out all the info here....snakes have eyes and can strangle you as you dig a hole for hibernation...

Just having a bit fun with the troops is all.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyT View Post
If someone is getting that "excited" clearing a weapon that they are unable to clear it properly before proceeding with whatever their next intended task is (climbing over a fence, handing your rifle over to your buddy, cleaning etc) you shouldn't be around fireams.

Most consumer arms are quite simple in their function to properly make safe. This shouldn't excite you so much that you skip simple steps (most common sporting arms take only 3 steps to clear.)

Once your firearm is clear the worst thing it'll do to you is maybe pinch your finger or if you drop it on your toe or it slides off a fence post and dings you in the head while you crawl under....

Cartridges don't magically appear in magazines that have been properly emptied, or breaches that have been properly cleared, or chambers that have been properly cleared.
Yup....but....how did that Remington go off...she said it was safe...or was it a moment she forgot a important step or .... But....either way handle and treat all guns, weapons as if loaded...especially in the field....at the bench, when working on them in a non excited brain fart type situation...it's a tube as some say or a pry bar.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

Really? I had no idea.

-Billy Molls