Old 10-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Soon it will look excellent!
I'll be happy with fair!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

I didn't blue the barrel because I traded with another member and I'm not sure about the quality of the blueing, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'm not skilled enough to do anything with the pitting but it looks a hell of a lot better now. Next I'll have to work on the scratches in the stock. I'd have to say it's gone from poor to fair though.

[IMG][IMG]

[/IMG][/IMG]

Compared to this

Last edited by Kurt505; 10-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Very good job kurt!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
[IMG][IMG]
I think the rating just went to Triple New Plus +++++.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 PM

Default Blue

Good job Bud, and you learned a new skill.

Told you it was easy !

Puma
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 PM

Man that looks so much better. You should sell it back to Ben as a brand new limited edition grad poobah platinum ruby exclusive signature edition shotgun for $2500.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 PM

If that happened to me, and I am talking from ben's perspective here (it never would, but for the sake of the argument), the least I would do is throw at least $150 back at Kurt and see if that made him happy. Or take the gun back and refund. If it actually had gotten to the point where it is now, with the call out thread and all, I would probably consider returning the money and letting him keep the gun. Of course, I would not list an item with "fake" photographs and calling it excellent condition to begin with, but I think that's what I would have done in the imaginary world.

As for payment, and I am not sure what their policy in regards to gun purchasing is, but I always pay with PayPal and use my credit card as the payment option. I cover the PayPal fees if the seller so desires. That way, I cover my bases twice, by PayPal and my MasterCard, so that if PayPal falls through, I can make a chargeback and get my money back. But I have never purchased a gun before using paypal and it being the same company as eBay, I don't know what their policy toward guns is. In the scenario described in this thread, Kurt would have his money back within a couple of weeks. And Ben would have his rusted gun back... maybe, depending on his actions. I know that many dishonest sellers refuse using PayPal because they know exactly what the "unhappy buyer" policy is and what the consequences will be if things go south.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

Default Good advice Bub ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
If that happened to me, and I am talking from ben's perspective here (it never would, but for the sake of the argument), the least I would do is throw at least $150 back at Kurt and see if that made him happy. Or take the gun back and refund. If it actually had gotten to the point where it is now, with the call out thread and all, I would probably consider returning the money and letting him keep the gun. Of course, I would not list an item with "fake" photographs and calling it excellent condition to begin with, but I think that's what I would have done in the imaginary world.

As for payment, and I am not sure what their policy in regards to gun purchasing is, but I always pay with PayPal and use my credit card as the payment option. I cover the PayPal fees if the seller so desires. That way, I cover my bases twice, by PayPal and my MasterCard, so that if PayPal falls through, I can make a chargeback and get my money back. But I have never purchased a gun before using paypal and it being the same company as eBay, I don't know what their policy toward guns is. In the scenario described in this thread, Kurt would have his money back within a couple of weeks. And Ben would have his rusted gun back... maybe, depending on his actions. I know that many dishonest sellers refuse using PayPal because they know exactly what the "unhappy buyer" policy is and what the consequences will be if things go south.
the 3 % fees PP charges is cheap insurance - $12 on a purchase of $400.

yup --- but better yet you take Ben's crappy gun (after you've had PP shut his acct down so that no one else gets scammed), put it right back in that garbage box it came in and mark "return to sender" in black sharpie ! .. and hump er back to the PO ...

that's wat i'd have done !

Last edited by TBD; 10-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 PM

So Kurt, what kind of blueing did you use?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
the 3 % fees PP charges is cheap insurance - $12 on a purchase of $400.

yup --- but better yet you take Ben's crappy gun (after you've had PP shut his acct down so that no one else gets scammed), put it right back in that garbage box it came in and mark "return to sender" in black sharpie ! .. and hump er back to the PO ...

that's wat i'd have done !
PayPal terms of use prohibit using their services to purchase firearms, so they don't have to take any action for the purchaser.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
So Kurt, what kind of blueing did you use?
Just some Outers Gun Blue Kit from crappy tire I picked up for $18. It takes a while to apply because I put on about 10 coats and in between every coat it has to be rinsed and rubbed down with the steel wool. The kit comes with a cleaning agent, the blueing agent, some steel wool, a sponge, and a cloth. I was really surprised at how well it turned out. I'm sure with proper care it should hold up for quite some time.

Here's a better look at the worst area.

From this:

To this:

So I'd say it was worth the $18 and an afternoon of arts and crafts lol!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 PM

Totally worth the 18 bucks. The looks amazing in comparison. Great job!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 PM

That looks great, Kurt, compared to the original. Good job, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
PayPal terms of use prohibit using their services to purchase firearms, so they don't have to take any action for the purchaser.
Well, there you go. Had a feeling that this is the case and, thus, mentioned it a few times in my original post. Elk has all the answers in regards to gun ownership, disposition and acquisition

So PayPal and MasterCard it is then. Does elk (or anyone else) know the policies of different credit card companies in terms of gun purchasing?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Soon Ben will offer to take it back lol
Old 10-08-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Soon Ben will offer to take it back lol
Ya he just sent it for a free blueing job lol
Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 PM

I would be furious, and he's lucky you didn't go after him. Nice work cleaning it up though. Looks WAY better.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The ad said excellent shape, I'm guessing there was a little bit of exaggeration involved?

What do you guys think?

Guess what? He figures I got the better end of the deal but doesn't want to refund the money and take his excellent shape shotgun back.

You got ripped off. Definitely should get your money back if you can. It’s disappointing to see this on here as I have always had good luck with the transactions that I have had on the forum here. I prefer face to face transactions myself, I would have to want the deal pretty bad and talk to the guy before doing a shipped deal. Hope this works out for you, good luck.

Ken
Old 10-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
You got ripped off. Definitely should get your money back if you can. It’s disappointing to see this on here as I have always had good luck with the transactions that I have had on the forum here. I prefer face to face transactions myself, I would have to want the deal pretty bad and talk to the guy before doing a shipped deal. Hope this works out for you, good luck.

Ken
I'm pretty sure Ben isn't going to man up any time soon. Besides, with the amount of work I've put into it now it'll cost him more to get it back.

I gave him the opportunity to make things right but I'm sure he had forgotten he sent me a picture with the serial numbers and figure it would just be my word against his. In his words he figured "a sold gun is a sold gun", I just happened to be the sucker who trusted him.

The good part of this story is that he can't rip anyone off on this forum again, and anyone is buying stuff from Ben in Cochrane just make sure what you're buying is as advertised.

As for me, with the time I have invested in this shotgun it feels like it's "my gun" now and I'm sure I'll put the hurt on a lot of birds with it!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I bet it is the same guy who scratched your truck!