Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Default K.S. Arms FTR Action

Hi, does anyone here have experience with K.S. Arms actions, specifically the FTR action?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Mine's not the "FTR" action. (I actually haven't heard of that one before.) I have mine in a 6.5x47L build. It is the first I've tried. So far, I like it. The short bolt manipulation to cycle the action is something I wasn't used to. But I really like it. The three lug bolt has a great lock-up. Although the first 50 rounds felt pretty gritty. Now after 80 rounds, it is as smooth as silk. Horizontal runout for the bolt as it is moved to the rear is very tight. The trigger I'm using with it is a Trigger Tech. Great combo and flawless operation.

The accuracy is very nice, although a lot of that is a combination of many things. It doesn't quite have a true 700 action clone footprint. Mine needed inletting into a Cadex Feild Open Top chassis. Beyond that difficulty, it works very well in this chassis.

Sorry, I only have 80 rounds through mine. I'm headed to Edson tomorrow to try the rifle out at distance. I am confident in the rifle's accuracy and repeatability. I hope this somewhat helps you. Also being Canadian, I wish nothing but sucess for them. I know EM Precision uses a lot of them.

Andy 6MT

Last edited by 6MT; 10-08-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:15 PM

With the price and hassle of actions south of the border my next action will be from KS Arms.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Mine's not the "FTR" action. (I actually haven't heard of that one before.) I have mine in a 6.5x47L build. It is the first I've tried. So far, I like it. The short bolt manipulation to cycle the action is something I wasn't used to. But I really like it. The three lug bolt has a great lock-up. Although the first 50 rounds felt pretty gritty. Now after 80 rounds, it is as smooth as silk. Horizontal runout for the bolt as it is moved to the rear is very tight. The trigger I'm using with it is a Trigger Tech. Great combo and flawless operation.

The accuracy is very nice, although a lot of that is a combination of many things. It doesn't quite have a true 700 action clone footprint. Mine needed inletting into a Cadex Feild Open Top chassis. Beyond that difficulty, it works very well in this chassis.

Sorry, I only have 80 rounds through mine. I'm headed to Edson tomorrow to try the rifle out at distance. I am confident in the rifle's accuracy and repeatability. I hope this somewhat helps you. Also being Canadian, I wish nothing but sucess for them. I know EM Precision uses a lot of them.

Andy 6MT
Thanks for the info

The single shot action is what they call the "FTR" model on their site. How do you find the bolt lift is it real heavy? What would you compare it to?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 AM

I recently built a long range target rifle using a KS Arms single shot action. It's a great action. Silky smooth and of very high build quality
Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaboy View Post
I recently built a long range target rifle using a KS Arms single shot action. It's a great action. Silky smooth and of very high build quality
Awesome glad to hear it, hard to find much info at all and what I've heard so far has been positive. How do you find the bolt lift? That's my main concern if it's too heavy
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1320 View Post
Awesome glad to hear it, hard to find much info at all and what I've heard so far has been positive. How do you find the bolt lift? That's my main concern if it's too heavy
Bolt lift is about the same as my Sako 85. Go Visit Mike at KS. They usually have a few in stock.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:29 PM

I don't have one of their actions yet. But I see a custom with one of their actions in my future. Got a couple buddy's with them and I really like them, also had them do a rebarrel job with some action work for me and couldn't be happier with their work. Mike and Karl are top notch guys
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM

When I took a project to KSA today, I spoke with Mike ... who of course said he is only a phone call or visit away and welcomes inquiry's. You could call to confirm the info I am passing on to insure my recall is correct. Mike weighed an FTR action which came in a bit over 2 lbs including the rail. He said the bolt lift is between 5-8/lbs depending on the bolt handle selected. I cycled a couple, one in a stock, one loose ....and to my "feel" lift was similar to that of 700 Rem actions.
They had several ready to go for nitride treatment both long and short actions, single shot and repeaters, some with left hand bolt. Call Mike.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1320 View Post
Thanks for the info

The single shot action is what they call the "FTR" model on their site. How do you find the bolt lift is it real heavy? What would you compare it to?
No, it's not heavy. But it's also not Barnard smooth. Although to be fair, mine has smoothed out a lot in only 150 rounds. What I needed to get used to was the short throw to cycle the bolt upwards. It is noticeably shorter than say, an R700. I found myself pounding the bolt handle upwards. That is definitely not needed. But it was what I was used to, and I just needed some time with the change.

The three lug lock-up is very secure. Mine is the repeating action. For comparisons, I would have to say it is a refined R700 but different. And remember, it is NOT a 100% 700 clone. Inletting must be done for most applications.

Andy 6MT
Old 10-11-2017, 03:03 PM

It should also be noted that bolt lift feels considerably different (for any action) when cycled holding a loose action when compared with that same action when it is barreled and set in a stock.