Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 AM

I drive alot in winter snowboarding all over Bc on my Q7 and my studded Hakkapelitas are the bomb. Never gonna buy anything less than that. My parents are on their 6th season now with them as well. Never cheap out on your tires; your life and the ones around you depend on it.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM

Wow, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT at Kal Tire are $460.45/tire for my truck... I wasn't expecting to pay $2000 for winter tires, I will keep shopping.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Wow, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT at Kal Tire are $460.45/tire for my truck... I wasn't expecting to pay $2000 for winter tires, I will keep shopping.
Wouldn't be bad if they'd last more then 60000 miles.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Have you seriously got 60,000 miles out of a set of winter tires?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Being that Kal Tire is the exclusive distributor of Nokian there is no way to shop around for competitive prices on Nokians (in Canada anyways).

Last January I bought a set of studded General Arctic LT's from AO's own Tirebob and his pricing was stellar, they performed very well for the 7000 to 8000 km I put on them and considering last winters significant snowfall it was a very good decision. I now have a new vehicle with dually's so I might wind up selling those 245/75/16 load range E's, they're mounted on GMC steel wheels that fit the Savana's (got a 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 so they don't fit my new set-up). Contact Tirebob and he can set you up with something that's more
economical than Nokian's and as good as or darned close to them. I already have him looking into options for me as I'm thinking of getting
creative with my sizing.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM

One thing I was wondering about was, I don't see a correlation between traction and temperature when tires are being reviewed.

For instance, a tire may have great ice traction at -5C, but what about -35C? Of course, I know that traction on ALL tires degrade as the temperature drops, but how do you find out which tires are better than others in that regard?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
One thing I was wondering about was, I don't see a correlation between traction and temperature when tires are being reviewed.

For instance, a tire may have great ice traction at -5C, but what about -35C? Of course, I know that traction on ALL tires degrade as the temperature drops, but how do you find out which tires are better than others in that regard?
The softer the compound on them the better they will perform in colder temperatures. But of course they won't last as long when it gets warmer.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
The softer the compound on them the better they will perform in colder temperatures. But of course they won't last as long when it gets warmer.
Of course... My point is, it would be nice to have some kind of rating for that, so it can be compared across tires, though.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Being that Kal Tire is the exclusive distributor of Nokian there is no way to shop around for competitive prices on Nokians (in Canada anyways).
You are correct as far as I know in that they are the exclusive distributor, but I have found substantial savings on the same Nokian tire, by calling around to different KalTires.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Enjoying all these tire discussions, probably gonna pick up a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks at Costco in the next couple of weeks
Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Wouldn't be bad if they'd last more then 60000 miles.
45,000 on my Hakkepalita #5. Good for 2-3 more winters. Excellent tire. I take these tires on the Subaru, Ice roads Maxhamish lake area, Rainbow lake, and through the Rockies. Picked up at Kal Tire Sherwood Park in 2008.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Haven't used a "modern" winter with studs but from the comments I will definitely look into it on the next set.
it seems the removal never gets rid of the ice columns at every intersection
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 PM

These are what I bought last year in a load range E, I'd recommend them. Tirebob beat the absolute pants off of Canadian Tire's price on them:

http://generaltire.com/tires/winter/grabber-arctic-lt

The tread pattern reminded me a bit of the previous-generation Hakkapellitta LT's that I had. They were my first studded tires, I was not particularly annoyed by the noise the studs make. A loaded plumbing van has all manner of cargo and tool-rattling noises so another noise just adds to the existing orchestra.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-18-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 PM

I ran a pair of studded Nitto Exo Grappler last season. Liked them a lot on my diesel in oilfield conditions.

PCFGA on Facebook