Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Blue/Green Again

Hey guys,

I have head some guys taking about going to cross lake , Just a FYI I read thgis last night

Don't know if this should be in GENERAL , if so , feel free to bump over, lol

EDMONTON - Users of four northern Alberta lakes are being warned not to drink from or swim in the water after a blue-green algae advisory.
Alberta Health Services issued the advisory Friday for Baptiste Lake, Calling Lake and Cross Lake in the Athabasca area, and Moonshine Lake in northwest Alberta. The health authority also warned people to avoid contact with the blue-green algae along the shoreline and to limit consumption of fish from the lakes.

“Blue-green algae produce a toxin (poison) that can cause serious illness to animals or humans who drink or have skin contact with water containing this toxin,” the authority said in a news release.

The advisory will remain in effect until further notice.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/searc...845/story.html

Watch out for swimming and eating witht he children if your visiting these lakes !

TIGHT LINES !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Sorry, thought it was a sturg thread.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Sorry, thought it was a sturg thread.
Nope no sniveling and penis matches .
Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
Nope no sniveling and penis matches .
nope, lol, all the Guys with big penis's must not be around , lol

Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 PM

My penis is average
Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
My penis is average
I knew that,,, That's why you haven't flamed my posts at all AJ .... lol lol lol

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
Hey guys,

I have head some guys taking about going to cross lake , Just a FYI I read thgis last night

Don't know if this should be in GENERAL , if so , feel free to bump over, lol

EDMONTON - Users of four northern Alberta lakes are being warned not to drink from or swim in the water after a blue-green algae advisory.
Alberta Health Services issued the advisory Friday for Baptiste Lake, Calling Lake and Cross Lake in the Athabasca area, and Moonshine Lake in northwest Alberta. The health authority also warned people to avoid contact with the blue-green algae along the shoreline and to limit consumption of fish from the lakes.

“Blue-green algae produce a toxin (poison) that can cause serious illness to animals or humans who drink or have skin contact with water containing this toxin,” the authority said in a news release.

The advisory will remain in effect until further notice.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/searc...845/story.html

Watch out for swimming and eating witht he children if your visiting these lakes !

TIGHT LINES !
This plague will only get worse in the coming years and affect more and more lakes, it's caused by to many nutrients in the water, read fertilizer, in whatever form, including body waste. We are at risk because of our extended sunshine hours in the summer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 AM

For the latest on the bloom, check this site

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/1926.asp

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This plague will only get worse in the coming years and affect more and more lakes, it's caused by to many nutrients in the water, read fertilizer, in whatever form, including body waste. We are at risk because of our extended sunshine hours in the summer.
Interesting since they now have it at Severn Res. and just a few weeks ago while fishing there I watched the plane spraying fields all around the res. The next day there was a scum of slime type moss all over the water.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Smoke lake (fox creek) was getting bad today
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Calling Lake has no agricultural lands around it, is surrounded by crown land except for the Southeast side, where the cottages are and the town of Calling Lake and the Reserve are just to the north of that. The cottages have septic tanks, so not sure what is causing the Algae there. Doesn't seem to be because of agriculture anyway. Would like to know if its naturally occurring or man-made influences. I talked to the biologist that issued the advisory last year and he didn't know what was causing it.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Calling Lake has no agricultural lands around it, is surrounded by crown land except for the Southeast side, where the cottages are and the town of Calling Lake and the Reserve are just to the north of that. The cottages have septic tanks, so not sure what is causing the Algae there. Doesn't seem to be because of agriculture anyway. Would like to know if its naturally occurring or man-made influences. I talked to the biologist that issued the advisory last year and he didn't know what was causing it.
Where do you suppose all the excess lawn fertilizer ends up, septic fields, out houses etc. It all ends up at the lowest point eventually, the lake. Sometimes it takes years or decades for the lake to reach a saturation point, but it does, that's why I would never buy a cottage or lake front property in Alberta, the lakes will eventually become unusable for the best 4 months of the year. Yes it is a natural occur event but man made pollutants have up the ante incredibly.

Some interesting reading for those interested.
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/...1139/f2012-088

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Eagle lake by Strathmore has warnings out since last week as well