Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Default Best Lake White fishing 1 hr drive from calgary where do I go what do I use and can I eat them all will I get my limit

? help please?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Epicangler is that you ? Sorry couldn't resistlol
Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 AM

Lake Chestemere is an outstanding whitefish fishery, hardly any pressure with whites to 10lb. Mostly dry fly action, size 24 adams or a size 4 hopper seem to work best. I don't like to use the hopper as it seems to attract the pesky walleye, but the largest fish fall to it. You can take your catch to the end of the second pier, there is a man that will fillet your fish for you, he makes a wicked batch of fish and chips but you have to supply the potato's as well. A well kept secret for being so close to a major centre!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwittoutdoors View Post
Epicangler is that you ? Sorry couldn't resistlol
Hey you know what they say...

if you can't beatem,

Joinem!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Lake Chestemere is an outstanding whitefish fishery, hardly any pressure with whites to 10lb. Mostly dry fly action, size 24 adams or a size 4 hopper seem to work best. I don't like to use the hopper as it seems to attract the pesky walleye, but the largest fish fall to it. You can take your catch to the end of the second pier, there is a man that will fillet your fish for you, he makes a wicked batch of fish and chips but you have to supply the potato's as well. A well kept secret for being so close to a major centre!!
hmmm that sounds ok

Does someone have a better spot with bigger fish and good camping where the old man that fries the fish will supply the potatoes?

WhadoIlooklikeImmadapotada?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 AM

I wish I could join you fella's but my backs busted up right now. No fishing this summer. I'm soooooooo jealous.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Banned

If you're looking for an hour drive, the best place to go would be mcgregor or travers reservoir. Look for ~7m deep water with structures. Right now is not whitefish season as the water temperature is very warm in the southern lakes (although it could be a completely different story up in the mountains). Back in spring/fall, my friends and I would catch >50 a day, and I've seen one man pull over 100 whites a day.

Setup is simple: slip bobber, egg sinker, snap swivel, 1' of light fluoro leader, and a small wireworm. Drop it in the right holes and you won't even have to touch the reel. Set the hook fast but not too hard.

As for camping, little bow provincial park is right next door.

that day we kept 30 some, invited 15 people over and had a whitefish bbq . You won't be able to eat your limits in a week... the group barely made it through half that amount.

Nothing beats freshly baked lake white fillets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1157505_152227231645517_1445807567_n.jpg (19.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 1098088_152227061645534_2048536095_n.jpg (25.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 1146332_152227001645540_441729528_o.jpg (45.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Can't tell if you're trolling, but I never knew there were lake whites in chestermere lake... or walleye for that matter.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Interesting responses Bee. I am waiting for your where to catch and eat Bull trout thread
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Interesting responses Bee. I am waiting for your where to catch and eat Bull trout thread
That's easy!

BC!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM

This is a guaranteed place for Whitefish, you can limit out really fast, any equipment will work. Here is the highly secret spot. HERE

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Gone Fishing

Try Frank Lake.......the whites are really bitting
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 AM

Default Macgregor

Couldn't believe the size of the whites ,breaching ,last week

Thought I was at Tofino Whale watch .Really

Lorne beauty ...
Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 AM

Read the regs.....it's all in there....

LC
Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
This is a guaranteed place for Whitefish, you can limit out really fast, any equipment will work. Here is the highly secret spot. HERE
That is like 5min from my house, and it's where I get all my bait.

I think we have a weiner!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Gone Hunting

This is for your grand kids right? Cause they never caught fish before ad they really want to catch some great whites?

OI checked my files and I have places closer than an hour and farther than an hour, but nothing right at one hour. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Banned

Yes all of my kids and grandkids and wife and cousins will be renting a bus so we can all go catch are limit of fishes we would eat pikes and trouts and perches too
Old 08-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
If you're looking for an hour drive, the best place to go would be mcgregor or travers reservoir. Look for ~7m deep water with structures. Right now is not whitefish season as the water temperature is very warm in the southern lakes (although it could be a completely different story up in the mountains). Back in spring/fall, my friends and I would catch >50 a day, and I've seen one man pull over 100 whites a day.

Setup is simple: slip bobber, egg sinker, snap swivel, 1' of light fluoro leader, and a small wireworm. Drop it in the right holes and you won't even have to touch the reel. Set the hook fast but not too hard.

that day we kept 30 some, invited 15 people over and had a whitefish bbq . You won't be able to eat your limits in a week... the group barely made it through half that amount.

That's amazing!

How many friends did you have with you?

I want to catch that many whites and eat them alllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!1
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Great answer .. Karma for you

when I am Fly fishing am do similar

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post

Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread