Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Or you could try not speeding
Oh come on now Ken....it wasn't their fault their foot got heavy...
Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Says the man with a corvette........... that this is governed at 110 kph right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
Oh come on now Ken....it wasn't their fault their foot got heavy...
No, thats true, it was likely the sasquatch chasing him that got him all nervous.

and where have you been????

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No, thats true, it was likely the sasquatch chasing him that got him all nervous.

and where have you been????
I got a life surprisingly....lol
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Or you could try not speeding
x2

quit complaining, do the speed limit. Personally, I've never gotten a photo ticket, all my tickets came with points. Recently, a friend of mine with CPS text me on the way to work, telling me to slow down or next time he'd write me. I took it to heart, and slow down now, as I can't afford a 200$ plus fine. i'm sure those of you with children, wives, husbands (families in general) would agree its better to be 6 minutes late, than 6 feet under.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
x2

quit complaining, do the speed limit. Personally, I've never gotten a photo ticket, all my tickets came with points. Recently, a friend of mine with CPS text me on the way to work, telling me to slow down or next time he'd write me. I took it to heart, and slow down now, as I can't afford a 200$ plus fine. i'm sure those of you with children, wives, husbands (families in general) would agree its better to be 6 minutes late, than 6 feet under.
Good points. 20 over could mean a 25 minute stop that will make a person half an hour late, couple hundred dollars lighter, and more insurance to pay.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Talking

"Originally Posted by bruceba
Everyone knows I like to take pictures. Well I'm driving along following a guy doing about 105 klicks and as you can see from the picture I can not pass the guy because of the double solid and blind hill coming up. I see a couple guys coming upon us a a pretty good clip. As they both pull out to pass I grab my camera, flip it on and only get the last of the 2 guys passing.The little car in front of the truck was the first to go by. I just took the pictures in to the RC's and swore a statement. Now I gotta go to court because they guy is fighting the ticket. LOL chump you put to many people at risk so I'll be there. Nice picture with out the blurring I did you can pull the picture up big enough to read the date sticker."

--does snapping pictures qualify as distracted driving? LOL I'd rather be passed by someone speeding than somebody trying to focus a Nikon while trying to drive at 110km/h!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM

First photo ticket I ever got was for $878 dollars, Elliresle road. 94 in a 60 in construction zone. This was about 6 years ago when I first moved to Ab, never even knew what photo radar was. In the pic, I was in middle lane with car passing me and car I was passing. Didnt fight it, never knew I could. Have yet to meet some one who has recieved the ticked I got. At least got a story to tell from th ordeal.

PS..
its the one and only photoradar ticket I have ever gooten. I guess I learnd fom my mistakes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Awful surprising that these photo radar vans don't get crashed into more often? When they use to have them in BC you'd see them parked awful close to the traffic lanes. Has anyone ever seen one wiped out?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 AM

i think that when contested in court it was found that photo radar speeding tickets were unconstitutional anyway they were deamed illegal in bc and done away with
Old 06-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peonu2 View Post
hi someone in calgay help me please i got 2 photo tickets a week apart and they both have the same address on them. can someone tell me where 10800 16 ave nw. when i do a google serch it shows me down 16 ave. but the problem is i was driving down stoney trail no where near that address. 2 one week apart. one for 102 klms in a 80. the other 97 in a 80. they have a picture of my bus but not at the rite address. also anyone know of a photo lawyer. thanks

Hi, did you get any success for the 2 speeding tickets at 10800 16 AVE NW Calgary?

I got the samilar ticket from the same location. I got the location map from Google Map. I didn't go through that location at all.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM

I was driving south on Stoney trail, then merge to 16 ave west. 10800 might be somewhere between stoney and the 110 km sign. There is not any 80 sign in between. totally unaware of the speed limit there. worth ?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Default photo radar ticket on 10800 16 Ave

I got a photo radar ticket on 10800 16 Ave, too. Recently city put lots of photo radar on street, must be lots of money invested. Ripped off! NND! TMD! Went to the traffic court. The dam old meat sit at room #3 didn't give me any break. Came back, just sat down to drink a cup of water. The phone rang. It was from police association, asked for donation for something! TMD! My temper to the up limit. No need to write how I answered it...
Old 09-18-2012, 12:50 PM

Wow, engrish much?

Another fine post of people taking resonsibility for their own actions
Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM

Default photo radar ticket is just a way to get revenue

I think city should put a speed limit sign to remind people the speed limit then place a photo radar. Maybe 100 meter or so apart between the sign and the photo radar. The whole idea should remind people drive safely instead of hiding the photo radar somewhere and issuing a ticket. This kind of ticket is more or less a highway robbery! It's a huge revenue for the city and province. BTW, it is legal to use a radar detector in Alberta.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmll View Post
I think city should put a speed limit sign to remind people the speed limit then place a photo radar. Maybe 100 meter or so apart between the sign and the photo radar. The whole idea should remind people drive safely instead of hiding the photo radar somewhere and issuing a ticket. This kind of ticket is more or less a highway robbery! It's a huge revenue for the city and province. BTW, it is legal to use a radar detector in Alberta.
It is not illegal to use a radar detector. Radar JAMMERS are illegal.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmll View Post
I think most people have a general idea of the speed limits, why do they need to be reminded? Speeders are responsible for their driving, it's not up to the province or municipalities to remind them. Don't want tickets, don't speed, simple.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I love fighting tickets. Granted it's time away from work, but it can be entertaining, even if you don't win all the time. If you go to court, they'll have to provide the person, who issued you the ticket and you can ask him all kinds of embarrasing questions. You don't have to prove your innocence, just raise "reasonable doubt" and that can be really easy sometimes. And don't make the mistake of admitting there's a possibility you were speeding.
I'm going to court in Feb. to fight two tickets issued to me by one of our new Sherriffs. The tickets were issued in July and I had them set two different trial dates. Worst can happen is that I still have to pay the tickets, nothing major, but I've had 6 month's grace and the buggar that wrote me the tickets, will have to spend two days in court. As it is, I feell I have a good chance of beating both.
Grizz
Good idea! At least not let them get the money so easily. At least hear some noise when the money is thrown out to them... Wondering how your court experience turned out.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM

Default funny

My favorite story was the guy who had a speeding ticket mailed to him with a clear picture of the plate and the appropriate fine for the offense. He took the exact amt. of cash to a photocopier and mailed the picture to the address.A couple weeks later he received a letter back enclosed was a photocopy of a set of handcuffs! I thought that was a hoot.Harold
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Yep them old jokes can be funny.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Reviving an old thread here ...

Has anyone had any actual luck contesting a photo radar ticket where there was another vehicle beside you in the other lane (travelling in the same direction)? Or is just an urban myth that they will toss a photo ticket with more than 1 vehicle in the picture?

I got one back in February heading north through Devon. I was in the right lane. The picture is kind of cut-off but you can just barely see the back end of a car beside me. I've requested the full picture and any other info they can provide.

I don't believe I was speeding because I drive that highway every day (so I know where the photo trucks hang out) and I normally don't speed anyways.

Just looking for some others experiences on this type of matter.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera997 View Post

Has anyone had any actual luck contesting a photo radar ticket where there was another vehicle beside you in the other lane (travelling in the same direction)? Or is just an urban myth that they will toss a photo ticket with more than 1 vehicle in the picture?

I got one back in February heading north through Devon. I was in the right lane. The picture is kind of cut-off but you can just barely see the back end of a car beside me. I've requested the full picture and any other info they can provide.

I don't believe I was speeding because I drive that highway every day (so I know where the photo trucks hang out) and I normally don't speed anyways.

does it say which lane the ticket is for?

i know on the red light cameras it specifies the lane which the speeder was in, i dunno about the trucks though.

contact a traffic lawyer on it and see what they say. usually they give a free quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera997 View Post

Yes, if you take that ticket to visit with the crown prosecutor, you have a likely chance of having it tossed if the crown is reasonable. If they don't toss it, run the trial and raise the defence of the second vehicle in the frame.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Gone Hunting

I have to wonder, with the attitudes I see here, towards traffic laws.
What do those folks think of our hunting laws?

Do they have as little regard for hunting laws as they do for traffic law?

Seems likely to me.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Yeah Keg, it seems that "It's only wrong if you get caught." has become "It's only wrong if you can't weasel your way out of it."
What happened to wrong is wrong?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Yeah Keg, it seems that "It's only wrong if you get caught." has become "It's only wrong if you can't weasel your way out of it."
What happened to wrong is wrong?
Also what happens if you are not in the wrong and know it....and there was another car speeding but you got the ticket....

....this is as free a country as we can have, and we can all have our day in court....be happy for that.

I have only fought one ticket (not speeding)...I was not in the wrong and I knew it, I defended myself at trial....and I won. The police officer after the trial came up to me and shook my hand told me I did a good job and he was sorry he wasted my time, I was completely shocked he did that....

LC
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM

I'd pay it. You may hear hundreds of stories of tickets being thrown out because the tech was incompetent, or there was an issue with the equipment, and at best I find most of these stories just watercooler BS. As much as i hate to admit it, the machines work very well and are surprisingly simple to operate efficiently. You were most like speeding as indicated in the ticket, and at this point it's probably best to pay and put it behind you.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Also what happens if you are not in the wrong and know it....and there was another car speeding but you got the ticket....

....this is as free a country as we can have, and we can all have our day in court....be happy for that.

I have only fought one ticket (not speeding)...I was not in the wrong and I knew it, I defended myself at trial....and I won. The police officer after the trial came up to me and shook my hand told me I did a good job and he was sorry he wasted my time, I was completely shocked he did that....

LC
I fought a ticket one time as well - judge found me guilty and charged me One Dollar or a Day in Jail, which he followed up with the advice that the day in court counted as a day in jail so I should not pay the fine.
That is a little different than fighting a mechanical device that is tested to be reliably accurate - mechanical devices do not misinterpret and do not lie. Does anyone actually think that they could get away with putting out a device that blanketed all oncoming lanes of traffic and snapping a photo of all vehicles whenever any one of them is speeding with no way to differentiate which was the offender? If it snaps your picture, you were speeding.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply guys.

Keg / FCL - chill out a little! As I said, I drive that route every day and those speed traps stick out like you know what. Impossible to miss them if you're paying attention. I said I didn't think I was speeding (but am not 100% sure ... no memory of that specific day driving through Devon ... must be getting old) and was just inquiring as to whether another vehicle in the lane beside me (the left lane, ie., fast lane) would raise reasonable doubt as to the validity of the ticket and therefore allow me to contest the ticket. I don't make the big bucks and just go and pay any old ticket that comes to me in the mail.

Have a good day!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Pay now or pay later
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I have to wonder, with the attitudes I see here, towards traffic laws.
What do those folks think of our hunting laws?

Do they have as little regard for hunting laws as they do for traffic law?

Seems likely to me.
Keg,

I respectfully disagree. If you receive a ticket it does not automatically provide proof you are guilty.

I have heard countless times from LEO's that the photo system is not flawed and operates 100% correctly all the time.. That is nothing but a bunch of hogwash....

From Jan 2013:

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Page...?id=6442794739

From Jan 2011:

Speeders in Edmonton get $12.3M in refunds

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ts-refund.html

There was also another case where the photo radar tickets that were issued along side the whitemud freeway were withdrawn due to the operator incorrectly setting the effective speed limit into the program. As a result, many many people received tickets while doing the speed limit....

From there people can decide if they want to "man up" and just pay the ticket when they could have very likely been wrongfully charged....
Closed Thread